Page 6 of 8 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2010, 5:03 am

pandd wrote:
GriffinGuitar12 wrote:
I've believed in evolution since I was a kid, actually, and I somewhat still do. However, it seems like what neither side takes into account is that our lives might just be the product of our imagination. Call me crazy, lol, but this whole thing could just be the fleeting dream of some other being, and it doesn't have to be human, or even any animal that we know of. It could be the dream of some undiscovered species. So if that's the case, does it matter how we evolved?! That's what I've been starting to think lately. One of my cousin's friends actually sparked this idea in my mind 'cuz I asked her once which side she was on. She said that both sides can get pretty defensive, and therefore violent, and that she didn't want to vouch for either side. I'm starting to get where she was coming from. We should just be thankful we're here if this whole thing never gets solved due to how both (most) evolutionists and (most) creationists are adamant about which side they are on.

Your friend's notion that one should decide what is true, based on how one percieves those arguing particular points of view seems really very silly to me.
I am not aware of any violence I have ever committed due to my beliefs in this area, nor do I see why whether or not person X was violent towards person Y could possibly reveal whether or not either evolution or creationism best describes how things came to be as they are.
I am much bemused by this process you describe for identifying the truth and frankly I very much doubt its functionality as a truth finding device.

(Finally, a legitimate opportunity to use this phrase. :))

Hitler ate sugar!

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2010, 5:29 am

PLA wrote:
pandd wrote:
GriffinGuitar12 wrote:
I've believed in evolution since I was a kid, actually, and I somewhat still do. However, it seems like what neither side takes into account is that our lives might just be the product of our imagination. Call me crazy, lol, but this whole thing could just be the fleeting dream of some other being, and it doesn't have to be human, or even any animal that we know of. It could be the dream of some undiscovered species. So if that's the case, does it matter how we evolved?! That's what I've been starting to think lately. One of my cousin's friends actually sparked this idea in my mind 'cuz I asked her once which side she was on. She said that both sides can get pretty defensive, and therefore violent, and that she didn't want to vouch for either side. I'm starting to get where she was coming from. We should just be thankful we're here if this whole thing never gets solved due to how both (most) evolutionists and (most) creationists are adamant about which side they are on.

Your friend's notion that one should decide what is true, based on how one percieves those arguing particular points of view seems really very silly to me.
I am not aware of any violence I have ever committed due to my beliefs in this area, nor do I see why whether or not person X was violent towards person Y could possibly reveal whether or not either evolution or creationism best describes how things came to be as they are.
I am much bemused by this process you describe for identifying the truth and frankly I very much doubt its functionality as a truth finding device.

(Finally, a legitimate opportunity to use this phrase. :))

Hitler ate sugar!

And he also probably farted in elevators and that was evil.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2010, 7:17 am

Precisely. Thereby proving that sugar is up to no good.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2010, 7:33 am

PLA wrote:
Precisely. Thereby proving that sugar is up to no good.

See
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 121605.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 091924.htm

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2010, 8:34 am

Sand wrote:

And he also probably farted in elevators and that was evil.

Klingons fart in airlocks.

ruveyn

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2010, 6:13 pm

Sand wrote:
Tensu wrote:
Why mistrust a superbeing? If his goal was to annihilate you, he could do it anytime, anywhere, without needing to trick you into it.

Again you are trying to out think a superbeing. That's definitely a bad habit. Bernie Madoff was no superbeing but he gulled a lot of very bright people with the "trust me" gimmick. Don't fall for it. Neither you nor I have the faintest idea of what goes on in God's mind.

I am not trying to outthink a superbeing. You are. How can mistrusting God in any way protect you from him? And if you cannot protect yourself from him, what purpose does mistrust serve?

Omerik
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Feb 2010, 6:20 pm

Greshym_Shorkan wrote:
Neither has made sense to me, in the long run. Evolution makes somewhat more, but that's not to say that I don't see holes in it.

Than RESEARCH it!! ! Until you get to a better answer!

Why do we have to choose between two options that neither convinces us? If evolution makes more sense, but has holes - than research it!! ! Find the answer to those problems!! !
Science needs people who see the problems in current theories. Not to dismiss them, but to make them better.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 6:10 am

Omerik wrote:
Greshym_Shorkan wrote:
Neither has made sense to me, in the long run. Evolution makes somewhat more, but that's not to say that I don't see holes in it.

Than RESEARCH it!! ! Until you get to a better answer!

Why do we have to choose between two options that neither convinces us? If evolution makes more sense, but has holes - than research it!! ! Find the answer to those problems!! !
Science needs people who see the problems in current theories. Not to dismiss them, but to make them better.

Quote For Truth.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 6:42 am

Tensu wrote:
Sand wrote:
Tensu wrote:
Why mistrust a superbeing? If his goal was to annihilate you, he could do it anytime, anywhere, without needing to trick you into it.

Again you are trying to out think a superbeing. That's definitely a bad habit. Bernie Madoff was no superbeing but he gulled a lot of very bright people with the "trust me" gimmick. Don't fall for it. Neither you nor I have the faintest idea of what goes on in God's mind.

I am not trying to outthink a superbeing. You are. How can mistrusting God in any way protect you from him? And if you cannot protect yourself from him, what purpose does mistrust serve?

Mistrust is the basic attitude of anybody interested in discovering as much as possible. Any scientist that doesn't mistrust everything never learns anything new and interesting. It's time a curious fellow like yourself learned to really explore the world by using a sensible quantity if mistrust, People who trust without strong doubts and efforts to look behind everything most frequently run into terrible tragedies or villains that steal them blind.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 5:29 pm

there is a difference between mistrusting second-hand information, the results of an experiment, or a random person and mistrusting an omnipotent being.

You want to know what I like? exceptions. They are everywhere in nature. I would say God is the exception to "mistrust everything".

wesmontfan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Feb 2010, 1:26 pm

ruveyn wrote:
wesmontfan wrote:

So both Genisis AND Darwin are flawed.
The real age of the Earth is about- oh- two million years.

Potassium Argon testing indicates about 4.5 billion years. You really should learn some science instead of pulling these wild figures out of the nearest handy orifice of your body.

ruveyn

Helllo.
That was exactly my point!
I was trying to show that the only way to prop up his shakey notion of some-but-not-too-much evolution was by dreaming up some imaginative scaffolding.
That scaffolding being an aribitrary date for the age of the planet that violates both Genisis AND potassium argon dating. The point being that he seems to be trying to have his cake and eat it too (be both scientific and be a biblical literalist) but succeeds in niether having nor eating his cake by simultaneously violating science and contradicting Genisis.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 7:51 pm

Greshym_Shorkan wrote:

What holes? What flaws to you find in the modern synthesis of Natural Selection with genetic inheritance?

ruveyn

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 8:30 pm

Creationism is no more credible than any of the other creation myths it strives to replace such as Australian Aboriginal Dreamtime which their beliefs that the rivers were created by a great rainbow serpent. Evolution makes far more sense to me, especially with the compelling evidence with the Peppered Moth that had adapted for survival with the rise of the British Industrial Revolution.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 10:42 pm

This article would seem to have some relationship to the discussion.

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/3325 ... -test-tube

anarchybovine
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2010, 10:39 am

If creationism existed, then why are there dinosaur fossils? And why do humans share 98% of their DNA with humans? I've questioned creationism from a young age on. Some people believe creationism should be taught in schools. What happened to separation of church from state?

wesmontfan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2010, 12:20 pm

Tensu wrote:
It is my understanding that Genesis says that God created the universe in seven "Yoms", a Yiddish word generally translated to "day", but more accurately translates to "long period of time".

In addition, days are passing before God creates the sun and moon, and before even light and dark. and God at several points in the Bible suggests he keeps time differently than humans do.

You mean Hebrew!

Or Aramaic. Those were the languages the ancient Isrealites wrote in.

Not Yiddish.

Yiddish is a living dialect of German spoken by eastern European Jews which didnt exist until over a thousand years after the Bible was written.