Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 6:23 pm

superboyian wrote:
Awesome :D This is going to be the new netbooks I believe, I don't have enough money for it.... But I certainly do need to save up alot of pennies but where my college is, it is so expensive, I constantly to budget on practically everything. :(
It is a netbook. And at 500 not as expensive as apple stuff tends to be in comparison to alternatives, in fact, there are hp crappo netbooks that are as expensive as that and are not as cool. My crappy Acer netbook costed barely 125 USD less than that and it didn't last for 10 hours.

If unlike i-phones I can actually install another OS on them this thing will have my blessing. Neverthless, I predict it to sodomize the netbook market as most consumers won't mind and they always follow apple stuff as if they were lemmings. I do not fell sorry for the netbook makers. They allowed MS to lead them into the non-innovative, safe valley in order to run windows so they may as well go to heck now. The ipad is seriously going to kill them. Not missing ASUS either, they were cool in 2007 but they ruined everything up and I am glad they are not surviving this.

I am an apple hater and even I am excited. This thing is going to destroy everyone on the market.

Jpeg
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jan 2010, 9:59 pm

I really don't see a need for this, then again I have never seen the need for netbooks either. Actually this could be very convienant for carrying in a backpack, assuming its durable enough.

I would be very interested if it could run other operating systems, but it is an apple product so I think that such a feature is very unlikely.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 11:36 pm

netbooks are a lot more necessary than laptops. The practical value of being able to take them anywhere is just too good. When you need power, going home is not a big deal and powerful desktops are magnitudes cheaper than powerful laptops.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 2:11 am

I think its perfect for my aunts and my parents, something really really simple, really useful, attractive, and without all the clutter and shortcomings of a windows netbook. My dad is gonna love reading the newspaper on it.

I'm so getting one Image, f yeah! Image

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 6:21 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
netbooks are a lot more necessary than laptops.

Uh, no. Quite the opposite.

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 9:32 pm

Apple, what were you thinking installing the iPhone OS on the iPad? Next time just install Mac OS X Snow Leopard and make it a real tablet PC instead of an internet tablet.

greengeek
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2010, 9:33 pm

RaceDrv709 wrote:
Apple, what were you thinking installing the iPhone OS on the iPad? Next time just install Mac OS X Snow Leopard and make it a real tablet PC instead of an internet tablet.

That what I was thinking too.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 10:38 pm

I agree, this is basically an oversized iPod Touch with a few extras thrown in.

Ah well, at least it might bring the price down on the latter. I could use a new iPod, my Nano 3rd Gen is literally falling apart. It still works, but the back panel is taped on with Scotch tape and IMHO it looks fugly. I could probably sell it for $30 on the UW classifieds, even for an iPod this old that's still a deal.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 1:45 am

I think I might actually get a 16GB 3G model this summer. I've been wanting an iPhone for a while, but didn't want to shell out $90/month for basic service when I just want it for the portable internet. For $30/month unlimited data transfer, it'll be a nice little internet device to carry around in my backpack wherever I go (just keep my $20/month basic cell phone from T-Mobile for calls). And I think it'll be entertaining in an odd way to have a Windows desktop, Linux laptop, and Apple tablet.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 12:11 pm

LostInBed wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

Tomorrow, on the 27th on January 2010, something amazing will happen. Steve Jobs will come on the stage and show us something he says is "the most important thing" he's made.

I am talking, of course, about the Apple tablet(s), iPad, iSlate, or whatever it'll be called.

I for one have my wallet out right now! How's about you? :D

I most definately would were it available in Canada first (damn you americans *shaking fist angrily* ;) )... one thing I wonder, will there be iPad compatible versions of Windows and it's various software suites released?

It's coming out worldwide in 60 days, so I assume it'll be out in Canada at the same time too.

It'll be fine with Windows since it hooks up to the computer via iTunes.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Jan 2010, 6:28 pm

Something else to check out:

Windows 7 On an iPad? Yes You Can

Quote:
Want to run Windows 7 on the new Apple iPad? Citrix says it will soon be possible--at least virtually--using a new version of its Citrix Receiver software.

Promised to be ready when the tablet computer ships in March, Citrix says the new software, based on the current iPhone version, is a response to questions about how the iPad might find a home in the enterprise......

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 5:48 am

richie wrote:
Something else to check out:

Windows 7 On an iPad? Yes You Can

Quote:
Want to run Windows 7 on the new Apple iPad? Citrix says it will soon be possible--at least virtually--using a new version of its Citrix Receiver software.

Promised to be ready when the tablet computer ships in March, Citrix says the new software, based on the current iPhone version, is a response to questions about how the iPad might find a home in the enterprise......

But WHY? That's like buying a Lamborghini with a diesel engine! 8O

tektek
Bronze Supporter
Bronze Supporter

30 Jan 2010, 7:39 pm

i read an interesting engadget article...

according to some credible sources the ipad firmware confirms that ipad 2.0 should be awesome :D lol , unfortunately (imho) ipad 1.0 is somewhat lacking.

apple tend to release reduced capacity (read: partially crippled) devices and then improve them with firmware updates or minor (yet expensive for the end user) hardware revisions... i refer to the iphone debacle with point to point navi restriction until quite recently, sub standard 2MP camera with no video on the 2G and 3G, and lack of copy-past until recently...

interesting therefore to note the microsoft courier tablet...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmIgNfp-MdI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFQWc79TYcU[/youtube]

i am keen to see how long it takes for the microsoft courier to launch. also, to see what hardware features are included and what the software capability is... but then ms have the upper hand, they can sort of take their time... they know exactly what cards their competitor (apple) is holding as far as hardware... and apple have released the ipad software developer kit (sdk) so anyone can run out sims and poke and prod to work out what secrets the firmware may hold - as indicated by the above linked engadget article.

maybe ipad 2.0 will be the one to watch... eta should be about mid next year (lol :roll: ) and i am hoping that the fujitsu lawsuit means that apple change the name! :thumleft:

VincentVanJones
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2010, 7:49 pm

No usb
No camera
No multitasking
First models wifi only
Iphone OS
No user-replaceable battery
No Flash support
According to reports screen is very bright and bad for ebooks
Seems like no 4.0 firmware in the near future

so basically... its a $500 Itouch with a bigger screen...

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 12:57 am

A fellow college alumnus said that iPad sounded like the name of a maxipad.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 4:45 am

The Apple iPad will be a flop compared to Apple's more recent products. Anyone who already owns an iPhone or iPod Touch is going to have difficulty justifying buying a bigger version of what they already have. Those who use netbooks or laptops currently to do work will find the complete lack of multitasking and file directory access a hard pill to swallow. Those wanting something to use for internet use primarily will find the lack of Adobe Flash support a big issue. Whereas the lack of Flash support for iPhones and iPod Touches was something many users put up with, those paying up for a more expensive device specifically designed around internet use will find it unacceptable.

I think the iPad will find a niche among people who find it difficult to get around traditional computer operating systems. It will appeal less to people already well versed in modern technology and those wanting the greater freedom more open devices offer.