Does anyone know how to ride a skateboard?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jan 2010, 4:02 am

I am just curious if anyone knows how to ride or tried riding a skateboard, because I knew how to do some tricks in the past (ollieing 8-9 stairs, kickflip 3 stairs, 180 4 stairs and a list of others).

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 4:45 am

I tried once. The board went one way, and I went the other... I didn't quite get enough time to tune my balance

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 6:39 am

My son rides a RipStick, but hardly anyone else he knows does this. It's not easy -- I've tried. He does not ride a skateboard much, though.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 8:27 am

Oh goodness no! My brother plays with one, he's 4, so maybe later in his life... but I've got inner ear problems. I have enough trouble balancing on the flat unmoving ground, TYVM. But it looks fun... >< Wish I could.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

miszt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jan 2010, 8:38 am

I used to skate allot, wasnt into tricks much, I just loved bombing along the road at silly speeds (I lived at the top of a 2mile hill, was great!), used to go everywhere on it, unfortunetly one day I hit a tiny rock, and destroyed my knee, and that was the end of that :(

conan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 3:29 pm

yeh i've been doing it a while. It improves my balance so much. i can go out and ride and fall but not even hurt myself. you learn how to fall.

I tend to just ride hills and pop off kerbs, stuff like that. I have some nice rubbery longboard style wheels on my deck so it is super quiet and grippy and fast. it is as far as i'm concerned the best set up other than a longboard for carving and slides.

pencapchew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Feb 2010, 2:43 pm

i used to skateboard. me and my bro got these rather cheap skateboards when we were about 8 and 10 years old respectively, we'd only jus got home with them before my much elder brother decided to try mine out. and it broke under the weight of him lol... he promised he'd get me a new one to replace it. and within a few weeks he presented me with this board that became one of my prize possessions for the next several years. i still have it actually, minus the trucks. it got a bit tatty but i liked the picture on it so i kept it as a memento lol. it had 'dog town' written on the underside in a cross formation. it was much better quality than the first one i had, and gave me more drive to actually learn to ride it. and incase you're wonderin why my bro got me that one instead of jus getting me another cheap one from the shop round the corner, it was because he'd stolen it from someones garden. i don't condone that sort of thing but that's jus how it came about. i couldn't do any tricks, jus on and off the curb. i skated everywhere i went in my neighbourhood as a kid, jus as a mode of transport really. i liked the wind in my hair. plus, being someone who hopped and skipped everywhere as a kid anything other than jus simply walking felt normal to me... then i moved away when i was 14 and i didn't really adapt to the change in terrain, and no longer had my best friend to skate with either.

sorry for the late post reply, but this was the first time i had ventured into this particular forum (i guess i've never really been into health, fitness, and sports lol)

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 11:43 pm

My feet are too damned big and clumsy to use a regular skateboard, but I used to longboard quite a lot. I actually got my German Shepherd/Husky mix dog a body harness and trained him like a sled dog to pull me on it, I need to start doing that again.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 1:08 am

Practice and practiced then gave up. Practiced and practice years later, then gave up. Now I realize I should have just tightened the trucks and I wouldn't have wobbled so much.

WOLFOUT
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Mar 2010, 9:13 pm

I never liked skateboarding but I've always enjoyed longboarding.