Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Relyt22
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jan 2010, 8:13 pm

So, after the massive media coverage of John Travolta's son having autism, and his eventual admission of his son's autism, Scientology appears to be "tagging along":

http://www.myspace.com/lemonade4autism

In Los Angeles, they have set up a fundraiser to raise money supposedly for something called "Love for Autism Association".

This is a concern to me, because Scientology's "cure" for autism, as is their cure for everything, is the pseudo-science invented by L. Ron Hubbard (Scientology courses, dangerous "purification rundown", and other forms of damage to mental and physical health). Basically a "one size fits all" method of helping people. This is just another one of their attempts at recruiting the vulnerable and hopeful.

On the outside, they may claim to know the cause and solution to autism, but on the inside, they "know" that autism doesn't really exist, and is just "a state of mind", as someone like Jenna Elfman would say (She once publicly announced that AIDS was a state of mind).

I remember a story from a woman who fell into their stress test trap and decided to try some courses. When talking to the Scientologists about her son's autism, she was told that her son's condition was caused by something very bad that she did in a past life, and only Scientology can reverse what she did to her son, by finding out what it is she did in her past life.

Beware of Organized Scientology exploiting autism, and spread the message to other autistic communities that their so-called charities aren't to be trusted.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 8:23 pm

This post makes me sad ---> :(

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 11:56 pm

Hi Relyt22,

What's the difference between "one-size-fits all" and "stardardized treatments" of the psychologies and of neurology?

Is "soft-science" the same as "pseudo-science" with any practices? Is answering canned questions better than holding onto cans?

It seems like using vague statistics for constructing a house of cards called the "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders" is more dangerous, and it is spreading contagious analyzing diseases around the world, as if the world needs more disasters.

The American Psychiatric Association has a very nasty habit of disparaging every group that questions its flimsy confusion between statistics and science, and the creating of a big batch of pseudo-diseases. Whether or not the NIMH spreads faster without having to worry about realities that can actually be measured, why spread it?

The DSM is one of the most "ugliest of America's cultural exports," making the works of L. Ron Hubbard look like beautiful classics.

I hope Ethan Watters' new book "Crazy Like Us: The Globalization of the American Psyche" helps to raise the question of the "atheistized" religions of Auguste Comte that has spawned into the psychologies.

Tadzio

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 12:19 am

Now they've gone and done it.

It's not bad enough that everyone else sees us as a product of the world's ills, and now these sorry idiots have to step up to the plate?

That's it. Every one of these rat-bastards are going straight to Hell, and I'm making it my personal prerogative to expedite that process. *Ka-CHAK*

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Moony
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jan 2010, 12:24 am

You needent take offence. Nobody takes Scientologists seriously.

OTBT
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jan 2010, 3:35 am

Moony wrote:

Scientologists would object to your joking and degrading.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 7:58 am

Tadzio wrote:
Hi Relyt22,

What's the difference between "one-size-fits all" and "stardardized treatments" of the psychologies and of neurology?

You should re-read the comments you are replying to, no complaint was made about "one-size-fits all". The problem is with the "treatment". If someone said they did not approve of frequent abuse, would you respond by asking what is wrong with "happening often"?
Quote:
Is "soft-science" the same as "pseudo-science" with any practices?

No.
Quote:
Is answering canned questions better than holding onto cans?

Depends on the purpose. If my partner needs help sorting the shopping, holding cans is probably more helpful than waiting to answer a canned question. With respect to any kind of "treatment" I cannot see where holding cans would ever be useful. I can see a use for "canned questions". Take "where does it hurt?"; that seems clinically useful to me.
Quote:
It seems like using vague statistics for constructing a house of cards called the "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders" is more dangerous, and it is spreading contagious analyzing diseases around the world, as if the world needs more disasters.

It does not seem that way to everyone obviously...I suggest that your comments are irrelevant anyway. Is Jack the Ripper someone we should all consider an ok kind of guy because Hitler really went to town? Is this some kind of "look over there, that random guy is naughty too" defense?

Quote:
The American Psychiatric Association has a very nasty habit of disparaging every group that questions its flimsy confusion between statistics and science, and the creating of a big batch of pseudo-diseases. Whether or not the NIMH spreads faster without having to worry about realities that can actually be measured, why spread it?

The DSM is one of the most "ugliest of America's cultural exports," making the works of L. Ron Hubbard look like beautiful classics.

I hope Ethan Watters' new book "Crazy Like Us: The Globalization of the American Psyche" helps to raise the question of the "atheistized" religions of Auguste Comte that has spawned into the psychologies.

Tadzio

Aha....er....well...thanks for that rather random rant....could we now return to our regular thread?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 8:18 am

[Removed - M.]

SDFarsight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jan 2010, 10:38 am

Scientology has joined with Autism Speaks? Will it be Darth Vader and Peter Mandelson next? 8O

addison
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jan 2010, 11:38 am

Moony wrote:

LOL i remember the south park episode about Scientology. so funny....

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 5:46 pm

Moony wrote:

QFT

Relyt22

28 Jan 2010, 5:47 pm

Tadzio wrote:
Hi Relyt22,

Is "soft-science" the same as "pseudo-science" with any practices? Is answering canned questions better than holding onto cans?

Tadzio

Not sure why you decided to derail into psychiatry, other than the fact that the entire practice of psychiatry is shunned by Scientology, even to the point of blaming the Holocaust, African Slave Trade, and 9/11 on psychiatrists :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... genics.jpg

valkyrieraven88
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jan 2010, 8:40 pm

It really annoys me that everyone is trying to blame autism on things because it will help support their cause. PETA blames milk, etc...I know this hasn't directly affected me but I still feel like they're taking advantage of me. And L. Ron Hubbard sucks.

OTBT
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jan 2010, 10:40 pm

Relyt22 wrote:
So, after the massive media coverage of John Travolta's son having autism, and his eventual admission of his son's autism, Scientology appears to be "tagging along":

In Los Angeles, they have set up a fundraiser to raise money supposedly for something called "Love for Autism Association".

Scientologists asking for money? What a shock!

Scientologists for years have mostly denied that autism really exists. I was actually very surprised when scientology arranged a fundraiser for autism.

Aietra
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jan 2010, 10:53 pm

OTBT wrote:
Moony wrote:

Scientologists would object to your joking and degrading.

Ooh, really? Great!

How many Scientologists does it take to change a lightbulb?
None: the lightbulb must find $80,000 dollars to become clear, then it will have the selfdeterminism to change itself.

danieltaiwan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Mar 2010, 8:04 am

Hahaha. Scientology is such a lie. Look at this and this is what they actually believe for real. http://altreligion.about.com/od/mytholo ... a/xenu.htm