Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2010, 11:28 am

Fun.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 11:38 am

I think it'd be more confusing. People would have to explain pages' worth of information when they talked about what they needed help with, every time, instead of just saying something like, "I have ADHD and I need a quiet place to study."

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 11:56 am

Before I had a label, my life was horrid. I was being punished for things I had no control over (stimming, meltdowns, repetitive behaviors, etc.). If everyone had a reason as to why I was doing some of the things I did, everyone would be much happier. Once the psychological trauma is done, it's burned into your brain - it will never go away.

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 11:59 am

In adult life, the nice thing about labels is that they're confidential - between you, your doctor(s) and anyone you choose to tell.

I try to be careful about use of labels in application to myself outside of a confidential medical context.

To use the above post as an example, I might just say, "I need a quiet place to study because otherwise, I have a lot of trouble concentrating."

But if I needed to prove to a university that I need some kind of special accommodation(s), I would have my doctor document my diagnosis with the school's Disability Services, which keeps diagnoses confidential and simply communicates with faculty about what specific accommodations certain students need (not why).

I think it's more of a concern when you're under 18 and your parents are therefore both informed of your diagnosis and free to share it with anyone they want to. This can be a problem when the parent(s) and child have different opinions about how and to whom the diagnosis should be disclosed.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 12:11 pm

gramirez wrote:
Once the psychological trauma is done, it's burned into your brain - it will never go away.
That is not true. Psychological trauma fades, given time and the chance to work through it. You may be a different person thanks to trauma; but it is not correct to assume that it will always cause problems for you. It can cause problems for a long time; and if it does, we call that PTSD; but most people resolve things and come back to equilibrium. Even PTSD can fade. I know, because I have had it in the past, and do not anymore.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

mikkyh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jan 2010, 12:16 pm

It would be confusing and everyone would be searching for answers about their behaviour and why they're so different. People wouldn't get the treatments they need. People will be committing suicide because they can't find any help. Depression wouldn't be noticed.

Labels are important.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 12:21 pm

^^ It's different when trauma is extreme, and when it is continuous and ongoing, lasting many decades or even one's entire lifetime, depending on the circumstances. In some instances like these it isn't always possible to recover, but one can still adapt to whatever extent one are yet capable of.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 12:24 pm

A few months ago, I installed SJ Games' "Fnorder" app on my iPod Touch. It gives fake "coded messages", or sometimes just smart-aleck comments.

The title of this thread reminds me of one of my favorites:

THOUGHTS GOOD!! SLOGANS BAD!!
THOUGHTS GOOD!! SLOGANS BAD!!

:)

mikkyh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jan 2010, 12:25 pm

Meadow wrote:
^^ It's different when trauma is extreme, and when it is continuous and ongoing, lasting many decades or even one's entire lifetime, depending on the circumstances. In some instances like these it isn't always possible to recover, but one can still adapt to whatever extent one are yet capable of.

I don't understand what you're saying here...

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 12:27 pm

I'm referring to Callista's post to Gramirez.

mikkyh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jan 2010, 12:29 pm

Meadow wrote:

Ooooh XD It was just the ^^^^^ was pointing to my post. Ah the confusing world of forum boards :D

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 12:37 pm

mikkyh wrote:
Meadow wrote:

Ooooh XD It was just the ^^^^^ was pointing to my post. Ah the confusing world of forum boards :D

Sorry about that. I should have used the quotes so there wouldn't be any confusion.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 8:34 pm

labels can be good in bad for example in school kids with disabilities are giving extra help if needed but here is the catch if they do something for example trow food in the lunch room while there is a food fight going on i guarantee there would get taking out first, my own experienced or witness.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 8:42 pm

People wouldn't understand or know what to do to help the person. People would think they are stupid and others would too because they wouldn't understand why someone can't do what everyone else can do. Unfortunately people do need labels to understand a person. Sometimes a person needs a label to understand themselves.

MONIQUEIJ from my experience as a kid, I was faced with discrimination. While it was okay for kids to act up and misbehave, teachers and staff make a big deal out of me doing it but be ignoring the kids who were also doing it. It made me mad and I wanted to break the rules more to get treated the same way as other kids and it made my mother mad too.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 8:45 pm

League_Girl wrote:
People wouldn't understand or know what to do to help the person. People would think they are stupid and others would too because they wouldn't understand why someone can't do what everyone else can do. Unfortunately people do need labels to understand a person. Sometimes a person needs a label to understand themselves.

MONIQUEIJ from my experience as a kid, I was faced with discrimination. While it was okay for kids to act up and misbehave, teachers and staff make a big deal out of me doing it but be ignoring the kids who were also doing it. It made me mad and I wanted to break the rules more to get treated the same way as other kids and it made my mother mad too.

yeah thats what i wanted to say, but not with the food fight it would be with me wanting to write poetry in class but the teacher always notice but the other kids use to act all crazy in nobody said nothing to them.