Music in speech equals empathy in heart? (EurekAlert)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 1:00 pm

Music in speech equals empathy in heart?
Brain study finds intriguing connection between prosody -- the intonation of speech -- and empathy
Some people are annoyed by upspeak: the habit of making a sentence sound like a question?

But actually, being able to change intonation in speech – as in upspeak – may be a sign of superior empathy?

A new study in the journal PLoS ONE finds that people use the same brain regions to produce and understand intonation in speech.

Many studies suggest that people learn by imitating through so-called mirror neurons. This study shows for the first time that prosody – the music of speech – also works on a mirror-like system.

more...

- Emerson

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 1:12 pm

Interesting... I think I'm better at understanding tone of voice than non verbal comunication like eye and body language. I also think my coworkers that I've only spoken with have a better impression of my social skills than the ones I interact with in the same office.

My boss, who I've ony met in person once, has commented on me "understanding people." He's only observed my interactions with others on the phone though. I LOLed (not just thought about LOLing) when he said that. :lol:

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 2:41 pm

funny, that is the area of my head that I tend to have head pain around the most (headaches/migraine/whatever.)

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

WorldsEdge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2010, 3:01 pm

MrMark wrote:
Music in speech equals empathy in heart?
Brain study finds intriguing connection between prosody -- the intonation of speech -- and empathy
Some people are annoyed by upspeak: the habit of making a sentence sound like a question?

But actually, being able to change intonation in speech – as in upspeak – may be a sign of superior empathy?

Yeah, the movie Fargo was bursting w/empathy... :roll:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrM2gmx0tNM&feature=related[/youtube]

"The man who has fed the chicken every day throughout its life at last wrings its neck instead, showing that more refined views as to the uniformity of nature would have been useful to the chicken." ? Bertrand Russell

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 3:37 pm

I don't care if it means high empathy...I love people with monotone voices. They're much more restful to listen to.