Do you get annoyed when people pronounce words differently?

Page 6 of 7 [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 11:47 am

I get annoyed with my sister when she says "ecks-specially" for "especially". I also get annoyed with my dad when he says "FLAME-able" for "flammable". There are two ms and no e in there, dad.

Mars17
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Nov 2010, 5:57 pm

Oh, do I ever agree.

I spent 45 minutes today mentally screaming at the student teacher in my history class. He continually pronounced "bicameral" as "biCAR-A-MEL". Every time he said it, I got a mental picture of the government made of candies.

Though, I can't seem to pronounce "caterpillar" correctly. It always comes out "KALER-PELLER".

The people at my school also tell me that I pronounce "Reese's" incorrectly. They say "re-sihz", and I say "re-seas." I have determined that it's a cultural difference.

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 9:04 pm

I understand the cultural or regional difference. I've got a jumbled accent from moving around, so words that should rhyme don't. Just had a talk with someone in which I insisted that "bad" and "pad" didn't rhyme. A dictionary proved me wrong. The way I speak, "bad" has a longer "a" sound, and rhymes with "sad," whereas "pad" rhymes with "had."

But in my mind, if my tongue weren't lazy or confused, they'd all have the shorter sound I associate with "pad" and "had."

We serve a variety of coffee beverages at work. I hate when someone says ex-presso.

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 9:15 pm

Elementary_Physics wrote:
"Lie-Berry" for Library just takes the cake.

Oh yes, this drives me nuts.

mimsy123
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Nov 2010, 9:48 pm

FTM wrote:
This is one of my pet hates. When news readers pronounce Barcelona as Barthelona or Valencia as Valenthia but they never pronounce Paris as Paree or Amsterdam as Omsterdom but pronounce Newcastle as Newcarstle and Bath as Barth. It sounds like a snobish lack of education to me. They say Valenthia to make themselves sound world wise but then say London when by their own rules they should be saying Landen. Pricks.

I've had a drink by the way so I may be wrong.

It's Alex Trebek syndrome! My family has been joking about this for years. It started with the pronunciation of Nicaragua on jeopardy (nee-caragua, complete with a slight rolling of the "r"). Now it's spread to almost all news channels and even Jaguar commercials are getting in on the over-pronunciated fun.

aamj50
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Nov 2010, 10:31 pm

Way too many people around here (the mid-western US) call the children's writing instrument made by Crayola a "crown". It's not even that they say "crown" as one would say a king's hat, it comes out all mush-mouthed white trash slurred. I will even correct little kids on this one. "You want a what? Oh, a CRAY-ON. Ok."
Little kids are cute, adults that say "crown" when they mean "crayon" make me want to stomp their face. I guess I really am an Aspie if something like that can bother me so throughly 8O .

aamj50

15 Nov 2010, 10:36 pm

Also...
I've had the following discussion way too many times to count:

<<Co-worker pronunces something really wrong but in a way that society at-large accepts>>
-Me: You know you're pronuncing that wrong. It's supposed to be _______.
-CoWorker: Well that's how I pronunce it.
-Me: Ok, I was just trying to help you not sound ignorant. Carry on.

Man, I'm a jerk! :roll:

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 2:37 am

I wrote in other thread that I hate when people speak assburger instead asperger and then they complain that people laugh at them.

I don't like when people speak company's name Kärcher like karcher instead kershyer.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

DGuru
Toucan
Toucan

16 Nov 2010, 4:05 pm

It depends. If I'm in high stress yes because with Auditory Processing Disorder I have even more trouble understanding what they're trying to say.

If I'm in low stress and someone pronounces something that sounds "weird" to me I think it's funny. I might even laugh and people wonder what I thought was so funny.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 4:34 pm

Not really. I understand people have accents and words are pronounced different in other places. Also English isn't always their first language so they may say words differently.

But I hate dealing with people who have thick accents. They are so hard to understand. But other people seem to do better at understanding them. I wonder if it's non verbal cues they are reading so that's why they can understand them? To me it's a struggle to be with them and I just hate being put with them. But if they are training me, I can watch what they do to learn how to do the job.

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 5:55 pm

truegem wrote:
pensieve wrote:
idiocratik wrote:
What's very annoying is when people use "there" instead of "their", or "their" instead of "they're". Seriously, what the hell?

It's a common mistake to make. They either write too fast or have some ADD/dylexia issues.

One word that has been peeving me at the moment is 'sangas' - IT'S SANDWICH NOT SANGAS! How does one get sangas from sandwich anyway? The english language in this country is going down the drain. :(

I have never heard anyone say "sangas", ever. When did this start? I would punch somebody in the face if I heard them say it.
My friend's mom pronounces the word chimney - "chimley"...oh god!

I haven't heard "sangas" yet either. I often hear "samwudge" and that annoys the hell out of me. "Innersted" instead of "interested", "daynce" instead of "dance", and so many others. Oh well, I am in east Tennessee, where some people don't even know how to pronounce their own names, or their own children's names. Seriously... I find it nearly impossible to keep a straight face when I hear something like "Mah young'un Nayncy..." I have nothing against people with accents. But there's a difference between having an accent and just pronouncing words in extremely stupid ways. Yes, I may have sounded somewhat like this in the past, but my excuse is that I was still a little kid, and too young to notice how ridiculous it sounds!

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 6:44 pm

YES.

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 9:34 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Not really. I understand people have accents and words are pronounced different in other places. Also English isn't always their first language so they may say words differently.

But I hate dealing with people who have thick accents. They are so hard to understand. But other people seem to do better at understanding them. I wonder if it's non verbal cues they are reading so that's why they can understand them? To me it's a struggle to be with them and I just hate being put with them. But if they are training me, I can watch what they do to learn how to do the job.

Strange thing, in person, I generally understand those with thick accents less than those around me, but, on the phone, the opposite is true. I guess the babelfish most are born with doesn't work over the phone.

caligirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Nov 2010, 10:06 pm

My mom says "warsh" instead of wash. I'm going to go warsh the dishes. drives me nuts.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 10:45 pm

I have friends with various accents (Brazilian,Russian,Croatian,French) and it really confuses me to hear all the various pronunciations of words! But it's important to be patient most of all.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 2:05 am

pensieve wrote:
As for me I hate Australian slang. I hate how people shorten words and add an "o" on the end of almost everything. And "youse"? What the hell is "youse?"

That reminded me of a scene in the movie Kangaroo Jack where they are in Australia and there is an old guy talking with a very strong Australian accent and they don't understand a thing he says lol it is funny. I wouldn't know what exactly is australian slang tho because I have never lived there.

Shadi