Page 1 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Matt55
Raven
Raven

01 Feb 2010, 4:28 pm

From my observations, probably the majority of Aspergians are non-athletic and tend to be sedentary given that alot of them tend to be interested in activities that don't require any physical excertion (computer programming, video games, electronics, etc...), in addittion to their poor coordination. Poor coordination is not permanent! I used to have terrible physical coordination However the more I hike and run the trails near my home, the more my coordination improves. The reason for this is because to be a good hiker and trail runner; you have to be very sure footed at times and know where to take your next step, otherwise you risk tumbling down the side of a steep hill/mountain. I strongly believe that individual sports are the key to most Aspies becoming physically fit and coordinated. With individual sports you do not have the pressures of socially interacting with team members and meeting the high expectations of a coach. It is simply you and the landscape in which you will partake in your sport/activity of your choice.

Elementary_Physics
Toucan
Toucan

01 Feb 2010, 4:50 pm

You are right on.
I hate sports and participating in them. But I love hiking and walking in the woods alone, I find I can be almost graceful when hiking on my own.

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 4:55 pm

I'm mediocre to downright terrible at most sports, but I can dance. I also know several aspie women who can dance well. I know an aspie guy who is "very obviously" aspie (no eye contact, funny voice) who runs cross-country. I also know an autistic guy who is working towards a boxing marathon world record (hitting a punchbag) partly for the sheer challenge of it, and partially to raise money for an autism organisation. One of my aspie friends roller-skates to work every day. Oh, and I know a very awkward plump aspie guy who plays soccer.

I think it's a matter of finding that one form of exercise that works for you, and that's easier said than done, I think. If you do some sensory profiling, you will usually find what you need to make you feel good, e.g. whether you would dowell with impact sports, or something involving weights, or some form of movement which gives your vestibular system a bit of excitement, etc. -- everyone's different.

I like rowing a little boat on calm water and I get ecstatic from dancing, and I like swinging on the overhead and vertical poles in an airport shuttle bus (people stare; I don't care). I also dance as I walk in many places (e.g. in a shopping centre), doing ballet movements with my arms. Besides that, I don't like sport.

Matt55
Raven
Raven

01 Feb 2010, 5:43 pm

Your from South Africa!! ! My dad is from South Africa! He immigrated to the United States in 1982 and married my mom in 1984. They have now been married for over 25 years! My younger sister is now beginning her first year at Vitz University under a study permit. She is seriously considering majoring in Psychology, the same major I have chosen to pursue.

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 6:09 pm

Matt55 wrote:
Your from South Africa!! ! My dad is from South Africa! He immigrated to the United States in 1982 and married my mom in 1984. They have now been married for over 25 years! My younger sister is now beginning her first year at Vitz University under a study permit. She is seriously considering majoring in Psychology, the same major I have chosen to pursue.

Hehe, it's Wits. not Vitz! (But it's pronounced Vitz.) I've taught staff there a few times. The suburb of Melville is nearby. If I lived in Johannesburg, that's where I'd want to live. There are many restaurants and night clubs, and there's a comic book shop. :)

Last edited by Alphabetania on 01 Feb 2010, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 6:16 pm

Matt55 wrote:
My younger sister is now beginning her first year... She is seriously considering majoring in Psychology, the same major I have chosen to pursue.

PS: Ask your sister if she has a Psychology lecturer called Esther. Then she can ask that lecturer if she'd have guessed that the woman who taught her Project Management was autistic. :tongue:

Just don't send her to WrongPlanet, I don't mind my students knowing I'm autistic, I just don't want them to come and hang out here!

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 7:23 pm

I'm athletic, but my hand eye coordination is not that great. I'm a pretty good tackler. I played (American) Football in high school and some Rugby in college. I'm good at playing defense/rebounding in basketball but don't count on me to make a basket. I make up for my lack of coordination with my effort and fearlessness. I just try to out hustle everyone.

Last edited by MartyMoose on 01 Feb 2010, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 7:25 pm

Elementary_Physics wrote:
You are right on.
I hate sports and participating in them. But I love hiking and walking in the woods alone, I find I can be almost graceful when hiking on my own.

I love hiking, Theres a lot of forest preserves where I grew up. I used to go hiking all the time by myself,

AnnaLemma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Feb 2010, 8:36 pm

While I hate doing any sport where a ball is involved, I love trail running and hiking. Also love cycling (pro cycling is one of my special interests) and used to do triathlons. But trail running is my first love.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 8:45 pm

I'm athletic. I participate in Track and XC at my university. I run the 10k in Track, run the 6k in XC, and (just starting this year) throwing the shot put. I enjoy sports that are individual but have a little team dynamic. This allows me to pursue a healthy social life while being able to function fairly alone. I really like being in a sport because I like having a very good support group and being able to maintainmy health at the same time. Plus it can be a lot of fun, and the endorphins are addicting lol.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Last edited by aspiegirl2 on 03 Feb 2010, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt55
Raven
Raven

01 Feb 2010, 9:48 pm

That is exactly what I plan on doing for a living!! !! ! I hope to become a counselor for people with AS/HFA. I also will be moving to Washington State where I will transfer to Western Washington University in Bellingham, WA. Do you have a facebook account? I would love to chat with you more. :D

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Feb 2010, 9:59 pm

I wouldn't say athletic in the sense of groups sports because I simply suck at most of them. I do however, tend to do well with things where it is only me (competitive or otherwise). I'm 31 now and since the age of 17 have been a very avid aggressive in-line skater. While definitely not pro-level, I do well enough to keep my interest piqued (I tend to absolutely hate things I suck at).

Other things like football, basketball and such? Yeah, no. I used to like playing tackle football when I was younger, but I never really understood the game much more than, "you run here, catch the ball and run like hell"--which I did being that I'm so damn small. :)

I think the issue for me is lacking an enjoyment in an activity where my ability must maintain a certain level in order to be recognized as a useful member of the team. With skating, all that matters is how I feel about my skills and nothing more.

strapshoechris
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Feb 2010, 8:55 am

I have two medals in amateur freestyle wrestling, also took ballet classes since a child (started as balance therapy), which is definatly an athletic activity as anyone who has done it knows. Sadly I became sick in 1998 and have been in too poor of health since then to continue in both of these on a regular basis. So for the past twelve years I've been more of the sideline spectator, although I've been able to actively function as a music supervisor for a performing arts group as well as some costuming in the dance/theatre scene. In addition there's a local wrestler in my old freestyle club that I help sponsor to get to tournaments, et cetera.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 1:16 pm

I'm reasonably athletic. In high school I played varsity baseball and did competitive snowboarding (high school competitions, not professional or anything), and I would have played tennis also if the season didn't coincide with the baseball season.

I love basketball and football too, and although I'm not very good at them I understand them well enough to at least play passably.

lennyk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2010, 9:54 pm

am athletic, at least used to play football until bad knee started
seriously into cycling now

GreyThorn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Feb 2010, 10:12 pm

I'm relatively athletic. I enjoy hiking/backpacking a lot and work at a rock climbing/ropes course. I played college hockey as a goaltender for a bit but my coordination was not great and I was 3rd string- my skills plateaued after high school rather than advancing as my peers did. Now I play in a pick-up league when I get the chance, where the whole point is to just have fun. I realize that I will always struggle with my spatial and coordination issues. Some days I am really 'on' and have excellent games where I can stop almost anything, and other days I can barely figure out where my net is behind me and I let a lot of crap in that I thought I had covered. I've sort of gotten used to having to fight my own brain and I try not to get too down on myself for it. I also used to play rugby for a college club team and I loved it. The nice thing about rugby was there was a place for everyone on the team. I found a way to contribute as a scrummy, using my physical strength and size to help compensate for my slower processing speed and spatial difficulty. I'd love to play again, but I can't afford the injury bills at the present.

I've come to accept that I will never be a great athlete due to my coordination/spatial/processing trouble, but it doesn't mean I can't play for the love of the game and have fun. I am just used to falling more and getting more banged up than others. I tend to be the player who is willing to work the hardest and longest and put the most heart into the team, regardless of the playing time I get in return. The game itself is fun, but practice is fun too.

I also find that a team environment helps me with social interaction. There is a common goal and somewhat standard interaction that happens. It takes some of the burden of interacting off of me, and adequately fills my need for social interaction. Socializing with parameters, I suppose.