Page 2 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 6:25 am

Well I guess that answers your question (I made them when I was young):

And my favorite movie as a kid was "The Land Before Time".

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 10:08 am

I loved that movie as well. In fact, I watched it last night!

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 10:42 am

I used to enjoy colouring in my dinosaur colouring books. I had a few toys as well. There were a few cartoons with dinosaurs which I enjoyed watching too. Can't remember the name though. I wonder if anyone used to watch it too? It was about a group of people, one side good, the other evil, who fought against each other with the help of the dinosaurs. Anyways I did prefer the less aggressive dinosaurs to the other more violent ones.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 1:26 pm

All this talk about evolving has got me itching to replay EVO: Search for Eden.

i_wanna_blue wrote:
It was about a group of people, one side good, the other evil, who fought against each other with the help of the dinosaurs.

Might possibly have been Masters of the Universe, but that's not something one easily forgets.

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 1:59 pm

Spazzergasm wrote:

Did you know the film had 12 sequels? I didn't watch any of them! Maybe when they made the sequels I had already outgrown it, don't know! The thing I remember most about the movie is the Triceratops Cera annoying the other dinosaurs!

Do you think that my clay models are alright? Considering that I was a kid when I made them. I like them now, I think they are pretty "heavy metal". When I made them the othe kid said it was not good and that it looked like a frog! :cry:

SabbraCadabra wrote:
All this talk about evolving has got me itching to replay EVO: Search for Eden.

I only played this game once as an adult but I liked it very much!

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 2:14 pm

"land before time" was meant to be longer, sadder and darker, but there was whining and crying, so it got shorted, simplified and jollified.

i loved the hell out of it as a kid, but watching it now its way too short :/ i woulda loved to see what they actually had in mind...

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 2:46 pm

I loved dinosaurs as a kid, and I love them even more as an adult. I'm waiting impatiently for someone to invent a time-machine so that I can go back and see them in the flesh... and maybe find a Velociraptor to keep as a pet :twisted:

i_wanna_blue wrote:
I used to enjoy colouring in my dinosaur colouring books. I had a few toys as well. There were a few cartoons with dinosaurs which I enjoyed watching too. Can't remember the name though. I wonder if anyone used to watch it too? It was about a group of people, one side good, the other evil, who fought against each other with the help of the dinosaurs. Anyways I did prefer the less aggressive dinosaurs to the other more violent ones.

I'm guessing the cartoon you're thinking of was Dino Riders - I don't think I ever got to watch a full episode, but I remember that the good guys controlled their dinosaurs through telepathy (or something wishy-washy like that), and the bad guys put these big metal mind-control things on their dinosaurs' heads. The toys were pretty awesome, though - in fact, when the cartoon was cancelled, I think the makers of said dinosaurs were actually approached by a museum to make plastic dinosaurs for them :)

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 2:57 pm

Wedge wrote:
Spazzergasm wrote:

Did you know the film had 12 sequels? I didn't watch any of them! Maybe when they made the sequels I had already outgrown it, don't know! The thing I remember most about the movie is the Triceratops Cera annoying the other dinosaurs!

Do you think that my clay models are alright? Considering that I was a kid when I made them. I like them now, I think they are pretty "heavy metal". When I made them the othe kid said it was not good and that it looked like a frog! :cry:

Really? I vaguely remembered it having sequels....But I thought I must have remembered wrong, as the ending seemed pretty set. And 12 seems like far too many! XD

Yes, I like them. They have character :lol: Reminds me of this clay cat my sister did. When I was little I thought it looked silly. But that's what sort of gives it it's juju, now I've come to see.

That sad, dark version of Land Before Time actually sounds interesting.

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 3:15 pm

MrSinister wrote:
I'm guessing the cartoon you're thinking of was Dino Riders - I don't think I ever got to watch a full episode, but I remember that the good guys controlled their dinosaurs through telepathy (or something wishy-washy like that), and the bad guys put these big metal mind-control things on their dinosaurs' heads. The toys were pretty awesome, though - in fact, when the cartoon was cancelled, I think the makers of said dinosaurs were actually approached by a museum to make plastic dinosaurs for them :)

Yes that's the one. I searched for it on YouTube and yes it was the one I watched as a kid. I do remember the toys actually, I had a few of them. My sister made a volcano for a science project and she used the toys as props. Never got them back after that. I think someone stole them. But the toys were really cool.

SabbraCadabra wrote:
i_wanna_blue wrote:
It was about a group of people, one side good, the other evil, who fought against each other with the help of the dinosaurs.

Might possibly have been Masters of the Universe, but that's not something one easily forgets.

On the subject of toys getting stolen, someone stole my He Man castle too. I think it was a second cousin of mine. :x My Skeletor action figure was my fav though. :D

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 4:15 pm

:lol: Well as a matter of fact, at first I used to be scared of Barney the Dinosaur when I was little so as a matter of fact it was the oppisite then... Yes I feel pretty embarrassed about admitting it but then a few years later I got over the fact Barney scared the daylights out of me and became obsessed with dinosaurs when I was giving this book when I was little. :D

But nobody really knows what they really looked like and what they used to do.... chances are that they might of got the material abit wrong? Maybe they got it correct, after all, they are classed as reptiles... But it seemed to become extinct when the asteroid had hit the earth.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 4:48 pm

superboyian wrote:
:lol: Well as a matter of fact, at first I used to be scared of Barney the Dinosaur when I was little so as a matter of fact it was the oppisite then... Yes I feel pretty embarrassed about admitting it but then a few years later I got over the fact Barney scared the daylights out of me and became obsessed with dinosaurs when I was giving this book when I was little. :D

But nobody really knows what they really looked like and what they used to do.... chances are that they might of got the material abit wrong? Maybe they got it correct, after all, they are classed as reptiles... But it seemed to become extinct when the asteroid had hit the earth.

1. mammals are as much reptiles as dinosaurs are. both mammals and dinosaurs have reptilian ancestors, but both are warm-blooded, and by definition as such, not reptiles.

2. 9000 species of dinosaurs still exist. birds are technically considered part of the dromaeosaurian branch of dinosaurs, aka "raptors"

3. dinosaur skin, tendons and even organs have been fossilized in some species. every inch of every bone has muscle attachment knobs, showing us _exactly_ what the muscles looked like. on feathered fossils there are also signs of what color pattern they had.

dinosaurs rock ;]

Withdrawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Feb 2010, 5:21 pm

I didn't. :wink: I've never been interested in dinosaurs, but I think they're really cool.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 6:32 pm

Dino fan topic

My first interest in science. And still is an interest. :nerdy:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 7:31 pm

Yes, dinosaurs were one of my main fixations as a kid. I had read many juvenile and adult non-fiction books about them as well as was an absolute fan of the movie Jurassic Park and had collected all of the comic books and many of the action figures and toys for that movie. Dinosaurs are still somewhat of a favorite type of creature to me. I think the Stegosaurus was my favorite herbivore back then.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 3:30 pm

ZEGH8578 wrote:
Tensu wrote:
ZEGH8578 wrote:
tensu: if dromaeosaurians (and their relatives) survived they woulda evolved into birds :oops:

Troodons where particularly smart even by dromaeosaurian standards. I know that's not saying much, but I can dream leave me alone!

why would they evolve into birds? if the meteor didn't hit, evolving into a bird would mean moving down on the food chain to be outcompeted by pterodactyls. and if they did evolve into birds, something was wiring the troodons for brains in a time when it seemed brawn was all that mattered. There's still the possibility that they would have kept getting smarter... I mean it takes more brainpower to understand flight, and some of the birds today are pretty freaking smart... who's to say that they wouldn't have evolved into a race of intelligent birds or dinosaur-birds that used their wings for locomotion and their feet as we use are hands? that would be bad-***, and the most bad-*** answer in any sci-fi question is the correct one, right? :wink:

um, this "dino-humanoid" idea is long since debunket after we realized:
birds did indeed evolve from dinosaurs :D
any pterosaurian competitor to birds dissapeared during the late jurassic, leaving mostly only giant pterosaurs filling a different niche. sure no birds evolved from troodon per se, since birds and troodon allready lived side by side, but birds evolved from dinosaurs _very_ similar to troodon. by that logic, troodon is much more likely to have gone for a birdy evolution than a people-evolution, since people come from simians :]
hey, you had to argue! :D

You do not appear to know as much about paleobiology and evolution as you think you do.

I was not arguing for the dino-humanoid. I never once suggested Troodons becoming humanoid. I am well aware birds existed in the Cretaceous. I am also well aware that birds are an offshoot of the dinosaurs. If you want to argue with me, please argue against points that I actually made, and not ones you fabricated and projected on to me because they are easier to refute.

There where two known strains of Troodon at the end of the Cretaceous: the smaller southern strain and the larger northern. The northern strain lived in Alaska and was presumably bigger because there where no Tyranosaurids competing with it in that region, but there where large herd dinosaurs to hunt. If the northern Troodon where to evolve into a bird, it would be evolving itself out of the apex predator niche, because it would need to become smaller and lighter to do so, too small and light to hunt large game, unless it would be harpy-eagle sized and still hunt in packs. If the Troodon gave up as a large game hunter, it would also be moving out of a niche in which it had little or no competition and into one with more competition. While I did suggest it would be cool to have flying Troodons, I assumed we were joking around at that point. The northern strain would have most likely remained on the ground. Now size is a double-edged sword: it makes you stronger, but also increases your appatite. The Troodons had already evolved into a size that could take big game, and their senses where already phenominal. Thus the most likely route of evolution wold be brainpower, as it wold help the Troodons better co-ordinate their packs and better telegraph their prey's attacks, leading to more successful hunts and less casualties.

If Troodons did evolve fight, it would most likely be in responce to defensive adaptations in their prey that made them vulnerable to airial attack, which is unlikely, since I have trouble thinking of a realistic defense that could be overcome by flight and not jumping. of course, by "most likely" I am assuming Tyranosaurids would not evolve a means of traveling north and knocking the Troodons out of their apex predator slot.

So ultimately a lot dose depend on how the Troodon's prey evolved n responce to them, and on what the environment would have done, but Troodons, at least the northern strain, would have most likely stayed on the ground. I would also like to pont out that evolution is a lot about niches, and the intelligence niche was vacant, with the Troodons the only species poised to evolved into it.

Maybe next time you'll do a little more double-checking before you have the audacity to go around laughing at people.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 4:32 pm

"Fossil amphibians and reptiles" - The first real book I ever bought as a kid with my own pocket money on a school visit to the Natural History museum in London. Dinosaurs were one of my first obsessions.