Page 3 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 7:17 pm

LiberalJustice wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
Oh dear god...She was raped, for f**** sake. The piece of crap who did it should be given the lashes. Not her.

This isn't madness. This is ISLAM!

ruveyn
Are you saying they had every right to beat her? Because they didn't, she did nothing wrong.

Do you see the movie -300-? Look again.

ruveyn

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 7:18 pm

trojan51 wrote:
this is what is wrong with muslims, they blame women for everything

There go the Muslims. Different mountain, different God.

ruveyn

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 7:27 pm

Most abrahamic religions in general despise women, I think it just depends upon the culture and the socio-economic circumstances revolving around that cultural structure.

Adolf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Feb 2010, 9:50 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
Adolf wrote:
These people aren't capable of maintaining a civilized society, therefore they need to be colonized. Not by americans and their vulgar McDonalds capitalism though, but by noble europeans with european morals and culture.

In the US, the cops themselves are sodomite rapists according to several trials given high media coverage over the past few years. Not to mention Abu Ghurayb prison in Iraq. Americans are unworthy to colonize, and muslims are unworthy of national independence.

The answer is, Europe rules all.

No offense Adolf but you do know that it was the Europeans that colonized America right?

That doesn't mean America is european. If it had remained a colony, sure, but it didn't.

Adolf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Feb 2010, 9:52 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
Most abrahamic religions in general despise women, I think it just depends upon the culture and the socio-economic circumstances revolving around that cultural structure.

Abrahamic religions are one of the few really outdated obstacles slowing the progress of civilization down. A ban on all three of them would be wise.

Islam isn't the only bad guy, Christianity and Judaism are older and in most aspects share the same values. The fact that women in christian countries are liberated today isn't thanks to christianity but thanks to the forces working against christianity.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 10:52 pm

Khan_Sama wrote:
It cannot be justified, this is absolutely correct. What took place is barbaric, and frankly, goes against Islamic law itself. Basically, Islamic law states that a rapist is to be executed. The punishment for an unmarried adulterer is put at 90 lashes in the Qur'an.

I recall reading a hadith (Islamic oral tradition - 99% of Islamic law is derived from oral law which was compiled 250 years after Muhammad died) stating that a woman in Medina was raped, in an empty area in public. Two men saw her in a terrible state, and took her to the prophet. Muhammad questioned her about her rapist, and she identified him in the crowd. The rapist was put to death.

Yet, another oral tradition states that four male witnesses (eight female witnesses, as Islamic law states that a woman's verdict is half as important as a mans) are required for testifying the act of adultery or rape, who have witnessed the act of rape, in order to carry out the punishment. This is despite the earlier tradition, explicitly stating that nobody witnessed the act. Before prophet Muhammad, however, a woman's testimony had absolutely no value, and it was highly likely that she would be slapped for butting in into a problem of law and order. Hence, half a testimony can be considered a step forward considering the social situation back then.

Rape victims in backward Muslim-majority countriesare stoned to death or flogged, depending if they are married or not. While this may be considered barbaric in this day and age, it was not considered so a century or so ago. One third of the world is illiterate, and these people still consider these laws to be just and fit. Yet, however, these types of punishments have been reported only in Afghanistan, Iran, and Somalia in recent decades. Iran and Saudi Arabia also no longer use these laws, although they do exist in the official penal code. Afghanistan removed the law after the Taliban lost control. Somalia, of course, is a failed state.

Bangladesh is a secular country. Rape does indeed, carry a punishment of imprisonment. Adultery is not illegal. However, in third world countries like India and Bangladesh, illiteracy and superstition is rampant. Exercise of outdated religious law is very common. Here in India, Hindus too have their religious law. For example, if two Lesbians are caught in the act, they are paraded naked on a donkey. If a non-virgin woman takes the virginity of another woman, two of her fingers are also cut apart from being paraded naked.

Many women in rural India are accused of being witches, and are also paraded naked, before being executed. In fact, in order to stop the executions, a state called Jharkhand passed a 'Witchcraft act' in 1998 making 'witchcraft' a crime, sentencing the accused to one year in jail. Yet, the executions by villagers continue to persist.

Step into a third world country. The cities have malls, educated folk, technology, a cosmopolitan society which is united despite ethno-religious differences, etc. The villages are like the dark ages - no running water, no roads, hardly any electricity. School children in villages (those who are actually sent by their parents - textbooks are expensive when you earn less than half a dollar a day) are still learning to read at the age of 14. Village heads still exercise their own law, such as blinding thieves, cutting hands, etc. Villages are divided into castes, with different castes occupying different areas. For example, the outcasts, the Dalits, live in the South, as Hindus believe that the God of death, Yama, comes from the South. There are even separate glasses for separate castes in tea shops, as higher castes consider it to be unclean to drink from the glasses used by those from lower castes, regardless if it's been washed or not. Even the Catholic church removed the holy communion in India - higher caste converts refused to drink from the same glass used by lower castes. They threatened to revert to Hinduism if they had to drink from the same glass. Hence, the Catholic church removed the holy communion in India on health grounds. Even in Christian graves, you have different sections for different castes.

As you can see in my signature, I'm trying to raise awareness on how common human sacrifice is in India. Many people kidnap young lower castes, and have them sacrificed to the Goddess Kali. Their corpses are either disposed of well, or disguised to make it look like a murder. Hence, human sacrifice is rarely reported in the newspapers. It is however, quite common. One of my acquaintances has witnessed an Aghori (sub-sect) Sadhu (holy man) grab a corpse off the river Ganga, and eat the raw flesh.

There is no comparision between the first world and the third world.

Taking the above situations as an example, I'm sure you can understand why people behave so. What that poor girl has suffered in Bangladesh is just a tiny fraction of the number of human rights abuses that take place in third world countries. The only reason that this has gained popularity is because the word 'Islam' is associated with the act.

And on top of that, you have the usual which even plagues the west, such as trafficking of women & children, drugs, violent crime, etc.

But to make things clear to your questions -

a) She is in early stages of her pregnancy (two months), and the lashes are usually carried out either at the legs or the behind part of the upper torso.
b) She did not report the crime to her parents, she kept it a secret to herself until she discovered her pregnancy.
c) Bangladeshi police had charged the rapist as soon as the incident was reported in local newspapers.

Thank you for such an informative, well balanced answer - I'm fairly sure that such articles don't offer more information because they want to cause an emotional, hateful reaction. Judging by many answers in this thread, they are quite successful.

I'm afraid some things you mentioned, like extreme poverty, illiteracy and savage, unlawful acts in isolated communities can still be found (on a different scale maybe) in parts of (rural) Europe and US - a situation that most won't acknowledge. Ignorance and hate are easy choices and great manipulation tools both East and West.

I don't use Facebook, but I'll tell others about your group. I have admiration and respect for what you're trying to do an wish you good luck - just wanted to mention that before the thread completely degenerates or is moved in the PPR forum and your posts disappear in the sh*tstorm.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 11:01 pm

Moony wrote:
Talking about religion is tricky at best. You make one small comment against any religion, and everyone instantly goes after you with cries of "RACIST!! !".

Yep.

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2010, 12:20 am

Sallamandrina wrote:
Thank you for such an informative, well balanced answer - I'm fairly sure that such articles don't offer more information because they want to cause an emotional, hateful reaction. Judging by many answers in this thread, they are quite successful.

I'm afraid some things you mentioned, like extreme poverty, illiteracy and savage, unlawful acts in isolated communities can still be found (on a different scale maybe) in parts of (rural) Europe and US - a situation that most won't acknowledge. Ignorance and hate are easy choices and great manipulation tools both East and West.

I don't use Facebook, but I'll tell others about your group. I have admiration and respect for what you're trying to do an wish you good luck - just wanted to mention that before the thread completely degenerates or is moved in the PPR forum and your posts disappear in the sh*tstorm.

Thanks a lot for your kind words. :)

Moony
Toucan
Toucan

11 Feb 2010, 12:39 am

Adolf wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:

Abrahamic religions are one of the few really outdated obstacles slowing the progress of civilization down. A ban on all three of them would be wise.

Islam isn't the only bad guy, Christianity and Judaism are older and in most aspects share the same values. The fact that women in christian countries are liberated today isn't thanks to christianity but thanks to the forces working against christianity.

O RLY?

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2010, 10:43 am

ruveyn wrote:
Moony wrote:
As far as I can see, Islam is at the core of this. Don't get me wrong. I'm not condemning the religion as a whole, but this stuff does still go on. Sad...

It is not Muslims that are evil. It is their religion that is evil. Right?

ruveyn

Oh, quit trying to stir the pot. This has nothing to do with today's Muslim, Islam, or any other valid mainstream religion. Just like modern Christians have nothing to do with animal sacrifice and the other barbaric acts encouraged by the Old Testament. Muslims don't promote this behavior and this is certainly NOT representative of their societal beliefs. It's akin to judging all of America by the recent news story where the sick kid died because the parents were relying on faith-healing. What you are doing is just unfair and I'm glad to see that most here are taking the higher road.

If you really want to work the religion angle, you should head over to PPR and re-post.

Khan-Sama: Thank you so much for the insightful post.

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2010, 11:48 am

You're welcome, ViperaAspis. ^^

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2010, 11:55 am

^Btw you don't have to respond Khan_Sama but I also appreciate your insight and information regarding this topic.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 9:32 am

god is not mocked, in a future existence the rapist will have to deal with the negative karma he has created. probably not in this lifetime, though, which is absolutely no comfort for his victim. he is probably laughing about it, but the last laugh will be at his expense.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 10:51 am

Property and propiety topic

Until we can go beyond the concept of humans as property, there will be no human justice. This applies to all religions, cultures, societies and the like.

Khan_Sama's insights are welcome and necessary in this thread, at WP, and here on earth. May his tribe increase. 8)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 10:56 am

I watched a episode of some series about honor killings. A young woman was raped. So to not bring shame to her family, her oldest brother kills her. He doesn't go to jail at all. He is happy he killed her too. I think this was in Pakistan. Disgusting. Murder is murder! The US justice system isn't perfect..but at least the rape victims do get justice. How can a country punish a rape victim? It makes no sense at all. :roll:

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 12:04 pm

luvsterriers wrote:
I watched a episode of some series about honor killings. A young woman was raped. So to not bring shame to her family, her oldest brother kills her. He doesn't go to jail at all. He is happy he killed her too. I think this was in Pakistan. Disgusting. Murder is murder! The US justice system isn't perfect..but at least the rape victims do get justice. How can a country punish a rape victim? It makes no sense at all. :roll:

to quote john lennon-
"woman is the n*gg*r of the world." a useful scapegoat for backwards societies [and some not-so-backwards ones also]
it makes me wonder why god allows such a thing. even though i believe that purgatory is overflowing with the thugs who perpetrate such atrocities. but a whole GD province? beyond disgusting, beyond the pale.