Page 1 of 8 [ 128 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

parts
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 1:36 pm

I have noticed all posts made by some people who where here awhile are just gone. Their user names are gone also. I was led to believe deleting accounts messed up the data base and and were not done. I still see other account that I know were banned. Can you explain this discrepancy ?

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 3:39 pm

Yes, I just noticed this, there are many threads and many members that have just vanished, like they have never been here 8O . This is a MAJOR problem and needs fixed ASAP. I imagine the members this affects, they cant post here also. In this forum there was a thread by SpokaneGirl that I replyed to yesterday, she was saying that she was having issues getting on the site. The thread has vanished, all her posts have vanished, and PM with her have vanished, it is like she was never even here 8O

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 4:26 pm

Hey Spokane here. I wasn't going to re register but I had to after parts started this so I can say my thing. I think I am being bullied here by a mod, my password got changed, my email so I was unable to login. Then Alex reset my password and I was here posting again and the same issue happened again. I started posting under my husband's account, same issue happens again. Now I see all my accounts were deleted, my SG account, my old one and my husband's. Alex thinks it's also might be this mod who is doing this and I think so too and everyone else who has had issues with this mod. Many people have been banned unfairly by this mod. I thought it was a glitch but I decided it's being done on purpose to me. But I guess I really ticked this mod off by saying one thing to it. My habit of correcting people I know. If I would have kept my mouth shut I still would be here. I should have just let that mod think I knew Fruend was banned. Basically telling the mods your side of the story is "blowing them off."

I won't say here who it is right now because I could be wrong but I have a high feeling it's this mod. I would hate to slander someone on accident because what if it's not this mod and it's someone else?

Honestly I find this whole thing amusing now becaue if saying one little thing pissed this mod off, wow. Maybe ranting about this issue at other forums caused all this. It's known that this mod spies on the other boards so maybe the mod saw my posts about it.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 6:16 pm

:hmph:

pikajedi3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2010, 6:32 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Hey Spokane here. I wasn't going to re register but I had to after parts started this so I can say my thing. I think I am being bullied here by a mod, my password got changed, my email so I was unable to login. Then Alex reset my password and I was here posting again and the same issue happened again. I started posting under my husband's account, same issue happens again. Now I see all my accounts were deleted, my SG account, my old one and my husband's. Alex thinks it's also might be this mod who is doing this and I think so too and everyone else who has had issues with this mod. Many people have been banned unfairly by this mod. I thought it was a glitch but I decided it's being done on purpose to me. But I guess I really ticked this mod off by saying one thing to it. My habit of correcting people I know. If I would have kept my mouth shut I still would be here. I should have just let that mod think I knew Fruend was banned. Basically telling the mods your side of the story is "blowing them off."

I won't say here who it is right now because I could be wrong but I have a high feeling it's this mod. I would hate to slander someone on accident because what if it's not this mod and it's someone else?

Honestly I find this whole thing amusing now becaue if saying one little thing pissed this mod off, wow. Maybe ranting about this issue at other forums caused all this. It's known that this mod spies on the other boards so maybe the mod saw my posts about it.

You don't punish someone for what has been said at another site, that's just bad moderation.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 6:33 pm

I really do think this is a error, as it is posts and whole threads that are missing, along with everyones reply to them. Members just vanished into thin air, and every reply to them also. That does not happen when people are banned. I sure hope Alex is working on this, or are contacting the people to look into the problem.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 6:37 pm

Well it could be bad glitch since roadracer says the other members have vanished. But I mean posting under my husband's account, same issue occurs, then that account has vanished, My SG account and my old account likedcalico so it makes me think it's on purpose. Yeah I'm undecided on this issue but lot of me thinks it's the mod, little part of me says it's a glitch.

Yes Alex says he is working on this.

Who were the other members that vanished?

pikajedi3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2010, 6:38 pm

roadracer wrote:
I really do think this is a error, as it is posts and whole threads that are missing, along with everyones reply to them. Members just vanished into thin air, and every reply to them also. That does not happen when people are banned. I sure hope Alex is working on this, or are contacting the people to look into the problem.

I'm not sure of the software here, but at other sites that I've had access to the back end of (at least, to the degree of the admin panel), it's possible to simply delete every post that has a certain word or phase in - for example, it's possible to delete every post by $generic_name, every post that has the word $generic_name and so on.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 6:58 pm

pikajedi3 wrote:
roadracer wrote:

I'm not sure of the software here, but at other sites that I've had access to the back end of (at least, to the degree of the admin panel), it's possible to simply delete every post that has a certain word or phase in - for example, it's possible to delete every post by $generic_name, every post that has the word $generic_name and so on.

yes, but that is not the way you ban people, normally if they ban a person it shows "banned", or a red X threw there avatar.
This problem is different, if you do a search on the missing people, you get posts were other members mentioned there names. The error makes it like the person was never here at all, it does away with every thread and post they have made, and in the thread they have made, it not only does away with there thread, but the reply to it. You can still acess some of the replys if you go to your list of all posts you have made, and click on the reply to that thread, but the OP who has vanished and posts are missing

(I am really bad with remembering names :oops: and dont spend that much time here, so I am a little reluctact to try to name people I think might be missing)

pikajedi3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2010, 7:02 pm

roadracer wrote:
pikajedi3 wrote:
roadracer wrote:

yes, but that is not the way you ban people, normally if they ban a person it shows "banned", or a red X threw there avatar.
This problem is different, if you do a search on the missing people, you get posts were other members mentioned there names. The error makes it like the person was never here at all, it does away with every thread and post they have made, and in the thread they have made, it not only does away with there thread, but the reply to it. You can still acess some of the replys if you go to your list of all posts you have made, and click on the reply to that thread, but the OP who has vanished and posts are missing

(I am really bad with remembering names :oops: and dont spend that much time here, so I am a little reluctact to try to name people I think might be missing)

Interesting - over at the site I'm admin on at the moment, you get a line through the name. (open profile, click ban, log into admin panel, put a reason, select time period, banned.)

If someone has clicked the "reply" button, or in this case, the quote button, it may be that the software flags it as such - is it just replies, or anything that quotes it?

For example, I clicked quote to reply to your post. however, I can also use
Code:
[quote][/quote
tags to only quote parts that I either retype or C&P. is it deleting both types?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 7:03 pm

Lot of people are banned from here and unfairly, I know some of those bans were reasonable but there have been unfair bannings. I go to Zomg and I2 and the people there have said they are banned from here. This was before Alex made the switch. Not all profiles have the letter X in them and say "banned." But yet the mods expect us here to be psychic by knowing whom is banned. I do not know every banned member here. I only know some.

Even my likedcalico account didn't say banned but it was banned because when I logged in, it said I was banned so I started using my SG account.

Last edited by League_Girl on 05 Feb 2010, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pikajedi3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2010, 7:04 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Not all profiles have the word X in them and say "banned." But yet the mods expect us here to be psychics by knowing whom is banned.

We had a similar problem over at AFF - I went through and corrected all that I could find manually - it doesn't take long, but it's really rather tedious.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 7:06 pm

roadracer wrote:
pikajedi3 wrote:
roadracer wrote:

Not very often here you mostly have to guess who is banned because if you ask it's against the TOS and they may ban you

pikajedi3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2010, 7:08 pm

parts wrote:
Not very often here you mostly have to guess who is banned because if you ask it's against the TOS and they may ban you

That's....stupid, frankly. If you're going to have a rule that's enforced, make it possible to avoid breaking it without realising you've broken it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 7:15 pm

I think it could be their poor TOM (no offense) but members in the past have tried telling them it's impossible to know because we don't know who is banned but my pet peeve is how hard is it to understand that? They have been told how impossible it is for us to know. No "banned" in their profile, we don't know that user is banned so how are we going to know to not mention that person or talk about him or her?

I got a PM saying I know it's against the rules to talk about banned members and I told the mod I didn't know he was banned whomever it was talking about. I wasn't sure if the mod meant the person I talked about or the person who wanted to know his WP name but that sure gave me a final unfair warning and I was accused of kidding with the mod and blowing them off. The mods are not specific enough in their PMs and then you try asking them to clarify, they don't answer. Then they turn around and say "if you have any questions, please contact the mods or Alex." :roll: See the contradiction?

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 8:27 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Lot of people are banned from here and unfairly, I know some of those bans were reasonable but there have been unfair bannings. I go to Zomg and I2 and the people there have said they are banned from here. This was before Alex made the switch. Not all profiles have the letter X in them and say "banned." But yet the mods expect us here to be psychic by knowing whom is banned. I do not know every banned member here. I only know some.

I don't know what's going on here exactly, but I've seen some those comments about people being unfairly banned and I believed them at first, but then I got to thinking, and actually talking to the moderators.. and how do you know that the people really were banned unfairly? Lots of times people come into this forum and say that they were unfairly banned from the chat, until somebody is like "um.. aren't you the one who was saying nasty things and spamming?" Many people on other sites claim that they were banned because they're better/smarter/cooler/whatever than whoever it was that banned them... How likely is it that that's actually the case, and how likely is it that such a person got banned for being nasty and acting like they're better than everybody else?
I don't know what's going on with this now, but I do know that most of the time, when someone is telling a story about how they've been so unfairly treated here, the story just doesn't add up. When I was new to WP somebody told me about how they kept getting unfairly threatened with banning, but I've seen that person stirring up trouble, and being dishonest and mean.
Whenever I feel like something may have happened unfairly and I PM a moderator and explain what I'm thinking and why, I get a decent explanation back from them. They try to avoid gossiping or spreading information that they consider private, but when I've been confused about why something happened or was inappropriate, and I explain why I'm confused about it, I get an answer that I can understand. When I've tried to ask for similar answers when I don't understand the behavior of the people who spread the nasty rumors about getting threatened with bans, I don't get a logical answer. I may not be able to tell when somebody is being honest by looking at their face, but if one person's story adds up, and the other person covers up gaps in their story with nasty comments, logic dictates that the person making sense is the one telling the truth.
Like I said.. I don't know what the current deal is with whatever is going on with your account, SG, hopefully it's some kind of glitch, there have been some weird ones lately.. I would think you'd have known if you were banned.