Have you ever been turned down for a job for a stupid reason

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

alana
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 1:15 pm

once a job was supposed to have certain pay and I went and the guy said he couldn't pay me that rate because I was a single female and that was the job pay he had to pay men 'because they have a family to support'. so he wanted me to work the same job for less money, same as turning me down

then one time this guy wouldn't even interview me because I was a woman and he 'never hired a woman before'

etc

CobaltBlew
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Mar 2010, 7:48 am

I forgot my resume :roll: hahahaha

QuantumCowboy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 8:53 am

Wogar wrote:
I was turned down because, apparently, I was "too smart to work [there]." :!:

I have had variations on that numerous times in the past. :roll:

I could not find a position in my field at the time (hardware/software design). So, I applied for some technician manner of positions, and received that answer. In fact, in most fields (other than R&D), I have found that being intelligent, and having an inquisitive mind are considered as detriments. I suppose they are concerned that you might actually question their decisions, and even worse, be able to back this with evidence or reasoning.

I would have to say that the most ridiculous reason I have received for not being placed in a position is that the HR girl (who was NT in the extreme) thought that I did not have sufficient "soft skills" for an R&D Engineering position. This was in direct conflict with the opinion of all of the engineers that I would actually have been interacting with. :roll:

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 7:18 am

Nan wrote:
I was turned down for a job because I was a woman and therefore, I was told, I'd be taking a job away from a man who "really" needed it.

That's sexist. :roll: You can sue!

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

Quartz11
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 12:03 pm

I once got an interview, and the HR manager looked at me like I had two heads. Was wondering why I was even there, since I was so overqualified. This of course means you'll leave within six months at the first drop of something else better coming - but doesn't everyone do that?

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2010, 7:58 am

The last time I was turned down for a job was for a truly ridiculous, age-related reason.

The interviewer (which was the boss of the company) found it strange that I had so much experience, education and skills at my age, because he has a sister who is my age and who has done nothing with her life and would never qualify for this job. So he found it hard to believe that I was actually this qualified. Instead of judging me by my job skills and references from previous employers, he decided to judge me by his sister's lack of skills and immaturity. That just doesn't make any sense. :lol: In a way I'm glad that I don't work for him since he's that unreasonable.

Kurisutiin_Suwein
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2010, 10:32 am

I once got turned down for a job for "not wanting the role". This after I'd applied and spent half a day waiting for a half-hour interview in which I was positive about the job. If the interviewers really wanted to know if I wanted the role, why did it not occur to them in all that time to ask?

Yes it's legal to not hire someone for that reason, but simply because something can be done doesn't mean it should be ;)