Do you think good grades are worth the effort?

Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 4:46 pm

Well? Do you?

I personally, can't be bothered anymore. I don't see the point in doing homework which I can't finish at school or taking time out of my life for extra credit projects. This, for me boils down to the extreme hatred I have for school and the small hope that I get some horrific disease so that I don't have to go back.

People put so much effort in, and for what? An A grade? Where the hell does that get you? Why should you care?

Any thoughts? Has your performance in school had a significant effect on your later life?

Elementary_Physics
Toucan
Toucan

08 Feb 2010, 5:07 pm

I never though seriously of grades.I get by on my IQ - I know I am smarter then most of the people in my school and I am content with that.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 5:19 pm

If you want to go to college, yes. If you are in college they are very important. I was an underacheiver in school. I'm going to a community college so my grades in high school don't matter.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 5:50 pm

Absolutely!

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 5:57 pm

Not at all to me, but I'm preparing for conservatoire and not college so its different.

Onibunny
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Feb 2010, 7:43 pm

In high school grades are not worth the effort. In college grades are only important if you plan on attending graduate school. The important thing is you pass.

AspieBri
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2010, 9:21 pm

I think good grades are really important. Good grades got 65789649847 colleges interested in me. I got a scholarship from the university I picked and seeing as how I'll have to keep a 3.5 GPA to keep the money, good grades are important!

Hello
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Feb 2010, 10:04 pm

It's worth it to me just for the personal satisfaction. I don't learn things easily and I'm not what you would call smart, so when I make good grades I feel very good about myself. However, today for example I failed a math test and I feel very awful about it and have been down on myself for it.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 10:20 pm

In here my mediocre grades didn't stop me from going to the best college for free, so here they don't matter too much. In other places, a good college is unreachable without good grades.

But honestly, I am not that sure anymore if college itself is worth the effort.

My hint is , make a long term plan of what you actually want in life, then find out how your grades could affect you. IE: If you are planning to go to Yale, you better get straight As... And if I was in the US really I would have put a lot into it so I could go to MIT (hey my imaginary US version can dream!) But if you are fine being a janitor then you may as well stop caring.

Shikoba
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Feb 2010, 11:14 pm

I would say that getting good grades is quite a big deal.
I have had a very good GPA throughout my academic life, I graduated in the top 25% of my class last May, and now that I'm in college I am reaping my the sweet fruits of my hard work.
I can go into practically any college I want without my resume being in question, school is going great for me, and I am eligible for many scholarships.
It's amazing what shedding sweat, blood, and tears or something can do for you in the end. The process is indeed painful , but the rewards are more than worth the effort.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 12:55 am

Depends. If you can get good grades, go ahead as it certainly won't hurt you. But don't be like a pre-med student where all you care about is grades. Just focus on learning the material, and let the grades be secondary.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 3:48 am

I didn't actually expect this many responses. General opinion seems to be that if you're interested in college/university and/or graduate school grades are important. In the USA especially, in Australia it's somewhat more relaxed, as in you don't need a degree for quite so many jobs.

Still, it's interesting to hear your opinions. I asked becuase I have been thinking about my priorities this year. All I concentrated on last year was A grades, I didn't know why either. I just did it.

This year I don't care quite so much. Espeically considering that I want to be an Electrician, I wont need University at all.

However, my friend who wishes to be an architect will, I almost feel sorry for him. At least 5 years in University...

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 4:04 am

It depends on what you aim to do in life... in my case my university grades will be rather important as I will need to score highly to be able to get into honours which I need to complete to be eligble to enter my desired profession.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

kraken
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Feb 2010, 11:09 am

If you're interested in scholarships for college, then high school grades matter.

If you're interested in earning a degree at college, then college grades matter.

If you're interested in going to grad school, then college grades REALLY matter.

If you're interested in earning a post-graduate degree, then you need to be getting As in grad school. Grades in grad school tend to work a bit differently, however. An A- is often an indication that your work needs to improve, while a B suggests that you are not completing work in a satisfactory manner. Getting a C or lower probably means your professors don't believe you belong in the graduate program. On the other hand, I've found that it's rare to earn grades below a B in grad school unless you completely implode and fail to do your work.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 11:38 am

It depends what you want to do. If you want to get a decent job like most people do, then yeah. If you want to be self-employed and/or start a business, then it depends on the exact details of it, but most of today's successful entrepreneurs either had no college education, quit college/university, or got bad grades. Notable examples include Bill Gates (quit to work full time on Microsoft) and Alan Sugar (got bad grades on everything except sport and has dyslexia).

kraken
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Feb 2010, 11:44 am

Asp-Z, that is not true. There ARE examples of successful entrepreneurs without college degrees, but they are the exception, rather than the rule. That is why we tend to remember them.