Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 7:50 am

Well, I've got another wedding invitation and I can bring a plus one. Woohoo (sarcasm). The last time I didn't bother and went myself. The time before that I took a girl. I'm not sure which was more embarassing. Although, I did enjoy having my friend with me. And when I was alone, my boss's family adopted me for the evening. So it wasn't all that bad, but I always feel awkward about asking a plus one.

Anyone else dread the plus one situation and stress about who to take?

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In exactly the right place at exactly the right time.

10 Feb 2010, 11:09 am

I think everyone who doesn't have a "plus one" dreads the "plus one" scenario. I'm confused though, you said you were embarrassed by inviting a female friend, but then you said you enjoyed having her with you? I'm not following you. If you liked taking your female friend with you, invite her again. Or, you can always invite a friend to go with you - regardless of their gender. It doesn't have to be a "date" per se....could just be an expensive dinner and music. :)

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 2:44 pm

I have been invited to a wedding for the second time and I've been asked if I'm bringing anyone. It's my brother's wedding and I said I would probably just go with my parents but my he's again asked my mum to ask me and my other brother the same. Is it ok to go with your parents at 18? Am I supposed to have someone to go with me?

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 3:02 pm

Have I been even more oblivious to the whole wedding thing than I thought? Are you supposed to go with a date to someone else's wedding or something?

That seems rather... odd.

I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity flourish.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 3:16 pm

rmgh wrote:
I have been invited to a wedding for the second time and I've been asked if I'm bringing anyone. It's my brother's wedding and I said I would probably just go with my parents but my he's again asked my mum to ask me and my other brother the same. Is it ok to go with your parents at 18? Am I supposed to have someone to go with me?

I don't think it is a matter of supposed; when planning a wedding, knowing attendance affects logistics and costs, so not knowing can be hard to deal with. If you do not want to bring someone, answer with a definite no; if you do, then get busy! But going with your parents at 18 should not be considered unacceptable, especially if there is no one you are interested in bringing with you, whether on a platonic or romantic basis.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 4:22 pm

I tend to go by myself, even to a prom or dance or whatever. It's not too embarrassing.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 10:15 pm

In many cases I just wouldn't go at all. I've been to 4 weddings, all with my parents, all had some family ties. Some were actually fun; very nice scenery at those chateaus. But I'm older now. I don't dance anymore, and if I had to go to a wedding with the possibility of a +1 I'd probably just go on my own. If I had someone immediately in mind, I could ask... but Probably just me.

But they do not have me

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2010, 7:25 am

I have two weddings to go to this year (and possibly a third if I'm invited). Though one's not until June, and one's not until October, I'm already panicking about this due to the social anxiety issues I'm caused by them, especially after a wedding I attended last year.

But to keep on topic, I'm never asked to bring a plus one, which is just as well. I tend to be invited along with my parents as a family unit, and go along with my parents. I think if I did have to bring a plus one it'd end up being a male friend and I can see what implications there could be there when people would generally expect a plus one to be an opposite-sexed partner.

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2010, 8:38 am

That's good then, I'll go with my parents. They are not good at helping with my anxiety with it, but they'll have to do. I don't have any friends to go with me :(

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2010, 11:03 am

HopeGrows wrote:
I think everyone who doesn't have a "plus one" dreads the "plus one" scenario. I'm confused though, you said you were embarrassed by inviting a female friend, but then you said you enjoyed having her with you? I'm not following you. If you liked taking your female friend with you, invite her again. Or, you can always invite a friend to go with you - regardless of their gender. It doesn't have to be a "date" per se....could just be an expensive dinner and music. :)

You're right, taking the female friend was quite good. It was the wedding of a colleague and I hadn't been with the company that long, so I felt like I needed a friend to go with me, but I was a little worried what everyone would think of me. She made it clear to everyone that we knew each other through her boyfriend, so no one drew the wrong conclusion. It's just that I feel like I'm always the only one without a boyfriend to take with me. I guess it's one of those situations where you have to think less about what you assume others are thinking of you and let go and have a good time.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2010, 5:06 pm

musicboxforever wrote:
Well, I've got another wedding invitation and I can bring a plus one. Woohoo (sarcasm). The last time I didn't bother and went myself. The time before that I took a girl. I'm not sure which was more embarassing. Although, I did enjoy having my friend with me. And when I was alone, my boss's family adopted me for the evening. So it wasn't all that bad, but I always feel awkward about asking a plus one.

I have pretty much decided at this point I'm not interested in being uncomfortable so if I'm not comfortable going somewhere alone I'm just not gonna go.

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 8:09 am

alana wrote:
musicboxforever wrote:

I have pretty much decided at this point I'm not interested in being uncomfortable so if I'm not comfortable going somewhere alone I'm just not gonna go.

What if it's a sibling's wedding?

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 7:45 pm

That's how I felt at my university's winter ball last weekend. I so badly wanted to take someone, but wasn't able to in the end.