Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Feb 2010, 3:12 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
Myth.

Loyalty depends on the person, not their neurological condition.

+3

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2010, 9:35 pm

I was thinking, maybe it's not so much more loyal, as, just, more of a tendency to resist change, to stick with what works. So, sticking with a friendship, not out of a sense of loyalty, but, just because it works, and better to stick with something that works than risk trying something knew.

That is, to the extent that aspies appear to be loyal, maybe that relates.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2010, 9:40 pm

I do not think people with aspergers are any more loyal than non-aspies.

Personally, I have only encountered male aspies, and would not consider them loyal in the sense that they say hurtful things and would drop me immediately if something cooler came along. But I imagine this is the same for a lot of people and not a male/female thing.

matrixluver
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2010, 8:03 am

on a person's personality traits.

It just makes those traits more readily apparent upon first meeting LOL.

utherdoul
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Feb 2010, 3:14 pm

speaking for myself I'm very loyal until I'm given a reason not to be. In which case I tend to snap back hard.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 7:48 am

I'd like to think that those with AS are more loyal than the average person.

After all, those who are often rejected by others tend to hold loyalty in higher regard when they find it.

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 8:12 am

Mysty wrote:
I was thinking, maybe it's not so much more loyal, as, just, more of a tendency to resist change, to stick with what works. So, sticking with a friendship, not out of a sense of loyalty, but, just because it works, and better to stick with something that works than risk trying something knew.

That is, to the extent that aspies appear to be loyal, maybe that relates.

+1

Salonfilosoof
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 7:03 pm

I'm a male Aspie and loyalty, respect, sincerity, openmindedness and openness are my prime values in life. I'm not sure to what degree this is because of what my parents taught me or because I have Asperger's.

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

15 Mar 2010, 3:46 am

This is actually true because sometimes some Aspies may be really loyal and then tend to be screwed over a lot. I must say that out of all my freinds, i have been reffered to as a good freind due to the fact that I have been really loyal when they needed someone to talk to when they were down. But as time has passed by, if some of my freinds cause drama, I know how to draw the boundaries and I have figured out a technique when freinds cause drama. I get along more with my peers then parents sometimes to be honest.

dtoxic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Mar 2010, 3:54 am

utherdoul wrote:
speaking for myself I'm very loyal until I'm given a reason not to be. In which case I tend to snap back hard.

+1

Salonfilosoof
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 6:36 am

dtoxic wrote:
utherdoul wrote:

+1

Sounds familiar to me as well. Maybe that's an Aspie trait?

I don't always retaliate, though, but when I do I can get pretty far with that.

kia_williams
Raven
Raven

21 Mar 2010, 5:27 am

Ooo fun one, and the Op was probably just out for a rise if they Really did name themselves Adolf and use the photo for their pic.

Loyalty and Aspieness, Well Loyalty (in humans) is a social-ethical construct, there may be a minor degree of genetic tendency towards Loyalty, but when faced with society and individual upbringing i somehow doubt that remains dominant, male aspies vs female aspies.. well there's already a faulty premise to this "logic" *coughcough*

Autism isnt the only thing with a spectrum, skin colour, sexuality and quite likely Gender/sexual identity is also spectrum based rather than "Binary", im reasonably sure people can think of some biologically female individuals who simply "are" kinda "tomboy"/"butch"/"male" and some biologically male individuals who are effeminate (as example), individual traits are INDIVIDUAL, alot can impact what these traits become during our maturation, but saying a certain degree of loyalty or such is specific to a gender/neurotype group is like saying Red is specific to apples, occasionally perceptually accurate but essentially faulty logic.

One of the things that can impact (IMO) but not exclusively determine or "Set" Loyalty is the framework from which it is gained, NTs more readily displaying and using "empathy" even when its excessive or kinda insane to do so CAN in some INDIVIDUALS base Loyalty on "i wouldnt like it done to me" which can be fairly transient a consideration (especially in the 21st century), Aspies defaulting more to Intellectual CAN result in some INDIVIDUALS base Loyalty upon in an intellectual framework, the difference being that aspect of the "Moral Code" of the Aspie individual can one way or another be more "solid" and "Rigid" (upsides and downsides to this) where as this aspect of the NT "Moral Code" can be a little more Fluid and more easily influenced by states and context (upsides and downsides to this too).

Sorry to disappoint the bigots, buut we're all different, all have our strengths and weakness in all areas a persons place on the Gender spectrum and autistic spectrum May have an effect on personality and ethics but then so do a wide variety of varied internal and external stimuli/events.

Its not Male Aspies or Female Aspies or Male NTs or Female NTs that are more/less Loyal, its just people. and using just the events from a limit part of your own life, will not provide enough information to produce an objective and accurate conclusion, its not XY/XX etc you have to "watch out for" .. its people.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 5:27 am

I think I am very loyal, but I don't think it's because I'm female. I would never tell things someone confided in me. I actually like keeping other people's secrets.

Julia_the_Great
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2010, 10:48 pm

I'm not loyal, I'm clingy.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2010, 10:50 pm

I'm a female (told I'm probably Aspie, don't have an 100% diagnosis as of yet) and extremely loyal. I am learning how to move on when a friend isn't treating you well, but I'm not unloyal. I dated a guy who showed a lot of AS traits and I wouldn't describe him as loyal, which is in keeping with what the OP said. But I certainly don't think loyalty and asperger's or gender go hand in hand.

Jaydog1212
Toucan
Toucan

27 Mar 2010, 11:51 pm

I'm extremely loyal. I would like to think this is a good thing but it causes a source of hurt for me. I think others should be as loyal and they tend to move on and not care about me. So basically I try NOT to get close to people because I know that it would cause more hurt than if I just stay in my own little world. :roll: