Page 1 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

kip
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 8:50 am

I was wondering, is there any chance we could see a third gender option? It makes me pick one, and I'm not too comfortable identifying with either. Something just as simple as 'other' would work out.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 11:16 pm

This was brought up a few years ago.
I was going through some gender issues and also thought it would be a good idea.
Seems like it should be workable... it's only code.

There are a fair number of folks here who do not wish to pick one of the only two choices currently available.
It would be nice for WP to be on the forefront of allowing options for gender identity.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2010, 1:55 am

3rd gender, you mean theres more then 2 8O

kip
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2010, 4:03 am

Friskeygirl wrote:

Of course. I don't think of myself as either male or female, even though I am genetically female. I just think I am, not I am ___.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2010, 10:59 pm

Friskeygirl wrote:

Some see gender as a continuum... decidedly female all the way to decidedly male, with a blend in between.
I believe the point at which they blend is where the "I don't identify with either one" people exist.
I went through a transgendered period and have wound up back at being male if pressed for a decision, but neutral otherwise.

I just don't see myself as a gender.... meaning the traditional two (which for those around me would be male because of my looks and genes).

I realize I don't explain this well, in relation to my own self, but I just don't really care to label myself as a particular gender.

Anyway... that's my take on it... :wink:

AntonFeichtmeir
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Feb 2010, 11:50 pm

Friskeygirl wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_gender

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2010, 12:17 am

I believe gay.com has something like seven gender options. I've been on several sites that do.

But a simple "other" or "undefined" would do nicely for most people.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2010, 1:09 am

wsmac wrote:
Friskeygirl wrote:

Some see gender as a continuum... decidedly female all the way to decidedly male, with a blend in between.
I believe the point at which they blend is where the "I don't identify with either one" people exist.
I went through a transgendered period and have wound up back at being male if pressed for a decision, but neutral otherwise.

I just don't see myself as a gender.... meaning the traditional two (which for those around me would be male because of my looks and genes).

I realize I don't explain this well, in relation to my own self, but I just don't really care to label myself as a particular gender.

Anyway... that's my take on it... :wink:

That's how I see it. I'm stuck identifying as female because, well, it's obvious.

roguetech
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Feb 2010, 3:45 am

Biologically speaking you could be neither or both.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 9:01 am

roguetech wrote:
Biologically speaking you could be neither or both.

In SoCal, women pay a TON of money to get what I'd gladly get rid of. Please Admins, add a third option...

aziraphale
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Feb 2010, 1:13 pm

I completely agree! Personally I just identify as an effeminate male, but I have been in the transgender community (I was born genetically female) long enough to know that there are plenty of people who identify as something other than entirely male or female. They should be respected. We, as autistics, have had our identity perverted, condemned and denied. It would be hypocritical for us to inflict the same on others.

rjgarn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Feb 2010, 3:34 pm

I think what might be an even better idea then simply adding a 3rd gender would be an LGBT/Queer discussion board. I would love to have a discussion space to talk about stuff relating to my sexual orientation, and I would love to hear about and participate in talks about trans/3rd-gender identity topics. As my super lesbian co-worker and friend put it "Queers have to stick together, because at the end of the day we all face the same social scrutiny."

rossc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2010, 4:16 pm

If you had to use a public toilet would it be female or male. Choose that gender and don't worry too much about "other options". It is not that hard.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 5:30 pm

rossc wrote:
If you had to use a public toilet would it be female or male. Choose that gender and don't worry too much about "other options". It is not that hard.

Just because one can pick one or the other does not mean one should have to.

rossc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2010, 7:12 pm

It is a personal choice naturally but there could be very messy consequences if you chose not to pick one.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 11:55 pm

rossc wrote:
It is a personal choice naturally but there could be very messy consequences if you chose not to pick one.

I wasn't referring to choosing what bathroom to use, but to the actual topic.