Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

anomie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Feb 2010, 8:10 am

Do any of you have them? I'm thinking of getting one. Be nice to have someone to talk to who doesn't confuse of upset me.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 8:16 am

Never had one.

Most of my life I have occasionally addressed remarks to one "George" - but he has never acknowledged my existence.

Disclaimer added in case, though I would hope it was not necessary here:

This response is literal fact and in no way demeans you or your question, even if I trt to make the truth sound humorous.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 8:25 am

I have three imaginary friends, who take the forms of people, who were very well known in the 60s. I turn to them, when I can't find anything in the music stores, in my area.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 8:31 am

I used to think that I have imaginary friends when I was younger and also had an imaginary twin. :)

Those were the times when I used to think I was so lonely since I never fitted in with any groups back then, but when suddenly I fitted in, it would only last for a minute and so and then I ended up getting picked on again and I simply do not understand why they seem to be doing that with me?

Until I actually got a proper friend which then he left the school, I was definitely confused and left feeling down the blue.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 8:34 am

Imaginary friends are great cause they can't hurt you & always know what you need cause you made them up! :D

angelgirl1224
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 8:43 am

i used to have an imaginary friend when i was little called Alicia.
That was before i was 8 years old though and made a real friend
I remember all the fun times we got up too :D
She also sometimes appeared when my real friends let me down, around about that age...:/
she was there for me and whenever something bad happend or i was naughty i would say 'well it was alicia's idea'
LOL!
xxx

Magicfly
Toucan
Toucan

16 Feb 2010, 8:49 am

My imaginary friends were always objects, not objects that look like people either, eg, when I was very young the fireplace in my bedroom (it wasn't used btw) was my friend, I think I may have mentioned this before......I used to feed it with tealeaves I got from ripping open used teabags....I also have my snuggles, which are a few terrycloth towels and an old terrycloth dressing gown, they feel good and make me feel safe, still got them today!

When I got a brand new bicycle for my 4th christmas I insisted that it 'sleep' in the bed beside me, I don't remember this but mum told me about this it made her and my dad laugh.

Autumnsteps
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2010, 10:10 am

I used to have them when I was younger and they were all animals

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 1:01 pm

I don't know if this counts as an imaginary friend, however, my favorite characters were always my friends. And I was my own friend, too.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 1:27 pm

I've had imaginary friends since I was 5. They're always characters from whatever I'm obsessed with at a given time. I use them to cope with loneliness and stress, but they're primarily there for my own amusement. They help give me inspiration for artwork and writing.

My current roster of imaginary friends is perhaps one of my largest and most diverse to date, and consists of characters from various different movies.

Last edited by IdahoRose on 17 Feb 2010, 12:20 am, edited 6 times in total.

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 1:39 pm

I have a few.

Big Debbie. A large woman who is very kind
and takes care of me.

Jim, a slim, 1940's dressed guy with a short,
but neat afro, hornrim glasses, and a brown
sport coat.

Might have a few more butt can't think of
them now.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

BlueMage
Toucan
Toucan

16 Feb 2010, 2:11 pm

I have at least a couple of imaginary friends. They change form over the years so they are hard to count. I think just because they are imaginary and not physical doesn't mean they aren't real, I think of them as my "spirit guides".

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 2:15 pm

I know quite a few NT's who have imaginary friends... only they don't realise they're imaginary. One woman I worked with told me that she had a "spirit guide" who was a "very nice old woman" who lived under her right arm, snuggled next to her bosom, who would turn into a dragon when she was threatened.

As you can imagine, I found this a bit surprising, coming from a financial director!

People have accused me of having an imaginary friend, since I believe in Jesus, but given that I know what having an imaginary friend is like, and Jesus is completely different, I just shrug that one off. My last imaginary friend was a horse. I think most of them were animals. I was always aware that they weren't real though...

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 2:40 pm

When I was really young I had John and Katie who I played with sometimes.
I don't know what happened to them but after them I had a whole slew of imaginary animals. They came in little balls the size of a marble, and they could be any species. I could get them from the cabinet beneath the bathroom sink, or in one of my closets. And I would take the ball with me and release the animals whenever I wanted. The chimp was out pretty much all of the time with me. And the cheetah used to come with me on car trips and would run through the tops of the trees or along the electrical wires. I don't know why he didn't run on the ground or why, if he was up in the air all the time, he wasn't a bird. Those were my main two, cheetah and chimp, but there were lots more for various situations.

Note: Upon reading this, I now notice the similarities but this was before pokemon.

anomie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Feb 2010, 4:14 pm

I have been thinking about what I want my imaginary friend to be like and I think I am settling on a 500-year-old Martian lady.

She has been to earth and back many times and knows as much about human ways as it is possible for a Martian to know.

500 is quite mature for a Martian but not all that unusual. She thinks that 32 (which I will be in a few weeks) is extremely young, almost a baby. She thinks that life on earth is extremely difficult because although humans, just like Martians, need contact and warmth and caring, humans also need this other thing called "face" and Martians can't understand face.* She says I should stop trying to be human and settle down to my still-continuing Martian childhood in peace. Faceless peace.

* "Face" is a word Stephen Pinker uses (among other psychologists/thinkers, I'm sure) to express the human need for being socially correct and not letting other people think bad things about you. (Comes from "saving face"). Face is why people say things they don't mean and why they are vague. Face is very valued among humans and those of us who don't understand it miss out on a lot of human stuff.

BlueMage
Toucan
Toucan

16 Feb 2010, 4:41 pm

I love this thread :D

People have such rich inner-lives.

Besides my imaginary friends, I also have these beings I call elementals, actually I think of everyone has having them, they are amorphous white humanoid things and they can combine and split up into one or many beings. I think they are a personification of my will. If I want them to do something in real life I'll give them a form suitable to the job so they can help me. It reminds me of the Kirby video games where you the blob-character takes on different abilities. They also remind me of the "mimigamas" in the game "cave story". When I don't direct them in what to do they just run around all over the place like little kids, poking around and looking at everything in the room, they tend to be very restless and energetic.