Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 11:14 pm

ain't it always this way? Was looking for something else, then found this. I think this is the one that does melting points, etc

http://www.chemicalelements.com/

!@#$! ! I'm sorry, all, this ain't it. I should test it before I do. Mods, feel free to delete this thread.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 2:18 am

Erm... it works for me. Just click on the element to go to a page on its data, which includes its melting point.

Personally, I have kalzium - but that's part of KDE on Linux.

Also, wikipedia is pretty good for all this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periodic_table

Lucent
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Feb 2010, 4:54 pm

You're thinking of ptable dot com. It has all the tabs and features. Way more than Kalzium.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Feb 2010, 5:55 pm

You might want to check out Theodore Gray's Wooden Periodic Table of The Elements:

http://www.theodoregray.com/PeriodicTable/index.html

And of course there is his Gray Matter column at Popular Science.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 12:34 am

I cut the legs off the Periodic table - King Missle...;)

Wisguy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 3:12 pm

(Cues Tom Lehrer :lol: )

One interesting thought, almost a 'pet peeve', that I have had for a loooong time regarding the elements involves the discovery dates for some of them. When the descriptions of several of them give 'known to ancients', I think 'yes, these substances were known by ancient people, *BUT* - when were they first described as having their own special spots on the periodic table?'. To me, the 'discovery date' for those elements would be when they were first described as being true chemical elements as we know them. Thus, I would think that the discovery dates for elements such as gold, silver, iron, copper, lead and so forth would be in the 1600s or 1700s, at the very earliest.

Mike

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 11:27 am

hmm...gold and copper go back at least to the earliest Egyptians, which is thousands of years ago. Iron goes to the ancient Greeks, and even farther back (Assyrians, if'n I remember correctly).
Most of them are transition metals ..;) Middle ages were things like Arsenic and Phosphorus.

mysassyself
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 4:54 am

i've just found this one:

http://www.webelements.com/
(link)

which seems quite useful. it has pictures which I like & if you click on 'biology' a 'personalised' ppb mass in human body calculator.

A Thursday child ..

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Mar 2010, 1:40 pm

Wisguy wrote:
(Cues Tom Lehrer :lol: )

One interesting thought, almost a 'pet peeve', that I have had for a loooong time regarding the elements involves the discovery dates for some of them. When the descriptions of several of them give 'known to ancients', I think 'yes, these substances were known by ancient people, *BUT* - when were they first described as having their own special spots on the periodic table?'. To me, the 'discovery date' for those elements would be when they were first described as being true chemical elements as we know them. Thus, I would think that the discovery dates for elements such as gold, silver, iron, copper, lead and so forth would be in the 1600s or 1700s, at the very earliest.

Mike

The elements known to ancients weren't known as elements as we know them today. Our modern definition of chemical element was developed by Anton Lavoisier in the mid to late 1700s.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 1:22 am

the one I was thinking of (originally) had a feature where you could set a temperature, and it would tell you what elements were solid, liquid, or gas at that temperature. It was color coded. Oh well, no big deal, I was just going through my URLS and found this...;)

mysassyself
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 4:04 am

that sounds cool pakled

I found this one too but mostly it's just silly. Periodic table with electron shells as flowers for gods sake.
the very very last one shows a periodic table representing similarity to H and He. I thought that was semi interesting

(click to link)

A Thursday child ..

Treehugger
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jun 2010, 10:02 pm

mysassyself wrote:
that sounds cool pakled

I found this one too but mostly it's just silly. Periodic table with electron shells as flowers for gods sake.
the very very last one shows a periodic table representing similarity to H and He. I thought that was semi interesting

(click to link)
Mysassyself, the 'Link' You have opens into a Very interesting 'Database' of different sorts of Periodic Tables, one having the circular layout of the Mayan calender,which would be easier for me to work with,and the Database also has the 'ADOMAH Tetrahedron-Awsome stuff that! :D

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 11:14 pm

Well, the whole thing got started years ago, when I was going to do the 'geekiest' Star Trek thing; a periodic table of the elements mentioned on Star Trek...;)

Here's the updated version -

sadly, it's not interactive...;)

the original is quite too big to post here...

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 3:36 am

Various versions of this but the meaning is the same. I suppose an interactive periodic table reinforces one's own memory.

I do like the Star Trek version, although it's not interactive. Those tables that are not rows/columns are misleading in that 'column' designates atomic radii increases as one goes down the table.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 11:36 am

There is a problem with the star trek table, it has T as a new element discovered after 2030. The problem is that T is for tritium which has been known since about WWII. Tritium for those who are not in the know is the name of H-3, it is a super low energy pure beta emitter which is very useful as a tracer in chemistry and for glow in the dark products.

If I spot any other elements I will point them out.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

CJame
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jul 2010, 6:31 am