The Last Airbender - live action movie by M. Night Shyamalan

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 6:31 pm

The actual anime is a bit kiddish, but does have some deeper themes to it. The movie looks like it will shoot for about the same age range, but a little older perhaps. At any rate I thought the movie trailer looks a lot more serious than the anime, as far as general mood and atmosphere go.

And IMHO, I hope it beats the hell out of Twilight.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 12:58 am

I think there are some skeletons shown in the latest trailer of the movie apparently from the Air Nomads, and the cartoon did not show anything like that.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 10:51 am

I look forward to this movie, did you see Appa in the trailer? Fuzz yeah!

Also, I hope we get to see some blood bending. A little girl puppeteering someone by manipulating their blood gets me all exited in a non-sexual way.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 9:47 pm

I was about to say there's no such thing as blood bending, but then I got to thinking, the human body is 70% water, right? So maybe a skilled waterbender could control people like Lecks was saying.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 11:58 pm

Bloodbending was actually possible in the show, but only by a skilled waterbender and only on the full moon. However, it didn't appear until very late in the series, so chances are next to none it appears in the first movie and still unlikely it appears in the movie series at all, since it wasn't really crucial to the plot.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 12:02 am

Blood bending was done in the show by an old waterbender who useing the full moon could gain the ability to control peoples blood, and used it punish a fire nation town for it's nations crimes. Katara even managed to learn it when she was angry, though it is the most evil part of water bending, and was a good way to develop Katara in terms of holding back on an evil use of her bending.

I would also like to see how they could pull off Toph, how can you make a blind little girl, be one of the toughest characters in the cast, actually makeing kids in general look tough would be a bit of a chalenge.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 2:41 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
Blood bending was done in the show by an old waterbender who useing the full moon could gain the ability to control peoples blood, and used it punish a fire nation town for it's nations crimes. Katara even managed to learn it when she was angry, though it is the most evil part of water bending, and was a good way to develop Katara in terms of holding back on an evil use of her bending.

I would also like to see how they could pull off Toph, how can you make a blind little girl, be one of the toughest characters in the cast, actually makeing kids in general look tough would be a bit of a chalenge.

You make a good point. If they get to the Earth Chapter part in the movie series (which I hope they do, even if the first movie is a bit lacking) they'll have a difficult time casting Toph.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 5:31 pm

Roxas_XIII wrote:
And IMHO, I hope it beats the hell out of Twilight.

HELL YES!

New Moon made $140 million opening weekend back in November.
The Twilight fanatics will likely be out in force come 4th of July weekend.

Returning to topic, let this be considered the "comeback"
movie of M. Night Shymalan, as Lady in the Water
and The Happening BOTH flopped at the box office.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 1:00 am

I'm guardedly optimistic. The bending sequences in the trailer really pleased me, and some of the shots I swear must have been storyboarded straight from the cartoon. The kids looks about as good as any live kid would playing Aang, considering I assume they would have looked for a kid with some martial arts experience... dunno that for sure, but it would make sense. The bending moves always looked cool in the show because they were real moves taken from different styles, chosen because they fit the kind of bending each was used for. So it makes sense that with a little CG to back it up, it's going to look cool. I haven't seen any acting so far, so who knows? But it "looks" cool, specifically "looks" in that no matter how the rest turns out, I still think that it will be fun to see some of the stuff turned live-action.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.