Poor vision=majority of autistic people??

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 7:41 am

I always believed this. Most people with autism, aspergers or learning disabilities tend to have poor vision so majority of them have to wear glasses. I wear glasses, and sometimes I wear contacts. I always believed glasses make the person dumb and ret*d. No wonder people with autism, aspergers or learning disabilities are more depressed than others. Also whenever I get glasses, the lab always screws up! How hard is it to look at the patients prescription that the optometrist/ophthalmologist either faxed or mail and make the lenses based off that? If 2 +2=4, there is no other answer. Either the lab is hired by a bunch of crack heads or they are all just ret*d. :roll: :evil: The optometrists office knows I have aspergers and learning disability and probably takes advantage of me. Mom is calling them up later today and ask them why they screwed up my glasses so many times. I want my money back. Anyone else had issues with glasses getting screwed up? A co worker told me she had a similar situation at her local Lenscrafters. They screwed up her prescription sunglasses 3 times! :x

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

alex
Developer
Developer

24 Feb 2010, 8:01 am

I'm sorry to hear about your problems with your optometrist screwing things up. My vision is pretty good so I don't need to wear glasses but I sometimes do because it makes things far away a little less fuzzy which is nice when I'm driving at night or watching a film.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 8:53 am

luvsterriers wrote:
I always believed glasses make the person dumb and ret*d.

I always thought glasses make a person look like an intellectual.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 8:55 am

luvsterriers wrote:
I always believed this. Most people with autism, aspergers or learning disabilities tend to have poor vision so majority of them have to wear glasses.

Can you tell me why is it the case? Is it due to some biological connection (if so, which one)? Or is it because some autistics like to read a lot due to their special interests, and reading screws up their vision?

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 10:29 am

I don't remember where I read it. I know someone who has bad vision too and wears glasses but she is a general surgeon. I have no clue if she has LD or autism. All I know is that she got A's throughout her school life. She took honors classes too. So maybe she doesn't have LD or aspergers like I do. I don't know. :(

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

Villette
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2010, 11:03 am

i'm an aspie and my eyesight is poor (625 and 800.) I have bad astigmatism. It runs in the family. Actually if you consider it AS is prevalent in professional/ high IQ families and myopia is more likely to occur in such families.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 11:36 am

Dad wears glasses and has a masters degree and is an executive with his company. $$$$$

Most people in dad's family wear glasses, but I don't know if they have LD or autism. I do know that everyone on dad's family have friends and lead a normal social life. In mom's family very little wear glasses and if they do its mostly for reading. Lucky. :( :(

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 1:54 pm

I have glasses, but I do not wear them when I am driving or when I go out in public. I look much better without them.

I usually wear them at home when I am playing video games, or sometimes when I watch television. I am not wearing them right now while I type this message. If a persons vision isn't that bad glasses are much better than contact lenses since it is good not to put something in your eye. However, contacts are the way to go if the corrective lenses need to be worn in public.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 1:56 pm

I agree. Contacts makes the person look much more attractive. Can get more dates that way.

Psychopompos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 2:04 pm

I never thought that there was correlation between AS and having poor vision. Could we have a scientist or doctor's opinion ?
I always wear glasses. :D

Alum dare, dolere, id Hephaestus, id ire / Pro profundis fati / Pro pulchris infernarum profundis / Pro pulchris omni fati brachium / Pulchris profundis infernarum servi fati / Profundis, profundis fati

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 2:10 pm

Glasses wearer here and I need to have my eyes checked again. Lot of people wear glasses. Some even wear contacts instead so you might never guess that stranger also has vision problems.

Magicfly
Toucan
Toucan

24 Feb 2010, 3:47 pm

I don't actually need to wear any glasses, but at my social group, there are 10 of us, out of those 10 people, 6 wear glasses, and 4 of us don't so that is slightly more than half.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 5:13 pm

luvsterriers wrote:
I agree. Contacts makes the person look much more attractive. Can get more dates that way.

If I got to the movies I bring my glasses in a case in my pocket. I put them on as soon as it starts, and I take them off right when its over.

whatamarshmallow
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2010, 2:19 am

luvsterriers wrote:
I always believed this. Most people with autism, aspergers or learning disabilities tend to have poor vision so majority of them have to wear glasses. I wear glasses, and sometimes I wear contacts. I always believed glasses make the person dumb and ret*d. No wonder people with autism, aspergers or learning disabilities are more depressed than others. Also whenever I get glasses, the lab always screws up! How hard is it to look at the patients prescription that the optometrist/ophthalmologist either faxed or mail and make the lenses based off that? If 2 +2=4, there is no other answer. Either the lab is hired by a bunch of crack heads or they are all just ret*d. :roll: :evil: The optometrists office knows I have aspergers and learning disability and probably takes advantage of me. Mom is calling them up later today and ask them why they screwed up my glasses so many times. I want my money back. Anyone else had issues with glasses getting screwed up? A co worker told me she had a similar situation at her local Lenscrafters. They screwed up her prescription sunglasses 3 times! :x

I have poor vision too, but usually I don't wear my glasses. I don't like how they feel, and I wouldn't risk wearing them at work either. It's not uncommon for them to screw something like that up, my grandma had hers messed up 3x before they got them right, and she has no disability of any sort. I don't think they're taking advantage, just maybe not doing their job like they should.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 10:02 am

The optometrist or ophthalmologist writes down the patients prescription then they fax or mail that to the lab that makes the patients glasses. So if the patient has -10, -20, -2, +2 as the power, then the lab should simply make the glasses based off of the power. How hard is that???! :roll: The excuse that my optometrist made to me and mom was that my vision is bad so it's difficult to make glasses. WHAT???? I have had poor vision since I was a child. I never had issues with glasses during elementary, middle school, high school and college. ! !! Usually it takes 7-10 business days, but it took a month! The first time the lab screwed up something, then the optometrist had to return it back, then the 2nd time it was still missed up because it would give me horrible headaches. So this is the THIRD time that the lab is re doing it. The optometrist never apologized for the delay at all to me or mom. I want my money back! Mom's glasses have always been done right first time. I mean the lab people do have eyes, right?? They simply LOOK at the doctors note and make glasses based off of that! :roll: :roll: I been seeing the same optometrist since 1988. I may have to switch doctors. But the optometrist is close to my home, plus I can get my contacts and glasses at his office. But I know that several ophthalmologists do work in optical places.

Oisin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Feb 2010, 5:20 am

I wear reactions, because my eyes are sensitive to light. but i am also bumping into things sometimes. So much for the glasses.