Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 5:23 pm

Toxins Everywhere! <Link

Its in the Makeup! Its in the Shampoo!

Somebody farted and gave us all Autism! :eew:

Experts agree, the toxins are all around us. Be afraid - be very afraid....

Last edited by Willard on 27 Feb 2010, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M_p_furo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2010, 5:27 pm

Willard wrote:
Toxins Everywhere!

Its in the Makeup!

LOL!! ! Maybe we were all Geishas with our lead based makeup :lol:

EDIT: My joke was really stupid :?

Last edited by M_p_furo on 27 Feb 2010, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 5:29 pm

Are they calling us toxic?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 5:41 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Are they calling us toxic?

No. They're just taking more wild guesses at what might cause autism.

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 5:41 pm

Why do people care so much about the causes of autism?
Really?

I love how the female reporter worries that she might have to give up her hair spray and make-up "which we all use".

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 5:54 pm

I don't understand what's wrong in Autism/Asperger's exclude NT :lol:

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 6:04 pm

ursaminor wrote:
Really?

Because they want to eliminate us. If you know what causes Autism, you can remove the causes (if the causes are external), or attempt to create a 'cure' - eliminating the existing Autism, then an in utero test, so Autistic babies can be eliminated before they contaminate the Neurotypical world with their 'alternate viewpoints' and annoying behaviors.

Its Eugenics - remove the undesirables from the gene pool, to create a world of perfect, identical clones.

Of course, if it turns out that Autism is a randomly occurring natural mutation, that would mean that nature has a purpose for the occasional 'special edition' and they'll have a hard time keeping that from happening. :wink:

Last edited by Willard on 27 Feb 2010, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 6:09 pm

And if you freeze them at temperatures under 150 degrees Celcius it will be cryogenics.

leighsa
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Feb 2010, 7:09 pm

Willard wrote:
ursaminor wrote:
Really?

Because they want to eliminate us. If you know what causes Autism, you can remove the causes (if the causes are external), or attempt to create a 'cure' - eliminating the existing Autism, then an in utero test, so Autistic babies can be eliminated before they contaminate the Neurotypical world with their 'alternate viewpoints' and annoying behaviors.

Its Eugenics - remove the undesirables from the gene pool, to create a world of perfect, identical clones.

Of course, if it turns out that Autism is a randomly occurring natural mutation, that would mean that nature has a purpose for the occasional 'special edition' and they'll have a hard time keeping that from happening. :wink:

Willard, you said that really well. Sometimes I have trouble putting words to my thoughts, but for the most part what you said is what I'm just starting figure out following "the big autism scare" in our family last year when my son & I were both diagnosed. I spent most of the year in horror reading Jenny McCarthy books and wondering which environmental mistake I made to inflict this "disease" upon us (unfortunately, I'm serious), but I'm coming around to see it from the proper perspective. Anyway, thanks for your words. The thing about the randomly occurring natural mutation for which nature has a purpose, especially. (BTW, I haven't read the article you referenced, but I don't think I need to...)

Bluefins
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 7:39 pm

Ironically enough, I'd imagine autists use LESS make-up than normal - for sensory issues, and not going with fashion & peer pressure as much.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 7:54 pm

Ugh, this makes me sick! How boring would a world without alternate perspectives be? No surprise this comes from Fox News.

Polgara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2010, 8:01 pm

Quote:
I love how the female reporter worries that she might have to give up her hair spray and make-up "which we all use".

Liked that too. I have never been a hairspray user, or my mom, or her mom. I don't know what was in lipstick in the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s but that's about all the makeup that was in the picture in my family. And not by me at all in the 70s and 80s. And my family is multigenerational for Asperger's.

It also did not specify what types of autism they are talking about. I still think there are some genotypes that are more vulnerable to environmental assaults that would result in some form of autism. And there are a lot of other things, diseases like cancer and asthma, that have increased with exposure to chemicals. Regardless of what they think might "cause" autism, for damn sure we didn't evolve dealing with all that crap, and you know it can't be good for us. Phthalates have been linked to obesity, cancer, type II diabetes, and antiandrogenic effects. So does that mean exposure will cause autistic fat boys with diabetes and man boobs? Not enough data to be sure but enough to look into it.

I DO NOT think they're thinking eugenics, folks. I DO think they want to prevent suffering. (It's the same thinking that wants to prevent cystic fibrosis, and I suspect everybody here would have no problem with that.) They just don't realize that a lot of the suffering related to autism, for both parents and children, is actually a result of giving birth to a cat or a monkey and trying to make it be a dog. Try to teach a cat to bark, or expect a monkey to be satisfied to play fetch. Try to get them to follow the pack. No matter what happens, the best we can do is learn to pretend to be a dog, but we still aren't. But try not to be too hard on the dog parents who don't know what to do with their monkey children. Their intentions are good and they are just trying to follow their doggy instincts.

matrixluver
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2010, 8:01 pm

we know that ASDs have a genetic predisposition, so it makes sense that certain things in the environment are triggers. I'm less concerned with a pregnant mother avoiding certain chemicals to avoid having a child's autism tendencies triggered or reduced in intensity. When a fetus is developing, the personhood really is still developing. There are undeniable issues with more severe Autism that are completely negative. Some folks, despite the most intensive intervention that is actually backed up with credible research, don't have the Stephen Shore or Temple Grandin outcome. I would get rid of my difficulties with social skills, my anxiety, and my sensory hyper-sensitivity in a heartbeat. Asking mothers not to avoid toxic chemicals when possible is like asking parents to avoid early intervention because we don't want to avoid impacting the Autism for the better? I have no problem with avoiding certain things to help ensure the healthiest outcome for my child. I avoided caffeine, processed cold cuts, hot dogs, hair dye, and acne medication while pregnant. Avoiding certain chemicals that are actually not healthy is always a good thing.

Of course, the flip side that DOES concern me is the USE of potentially toxic and sometimes fatal chemicals such as the chelation therapy or Lupron to "cure" Autism in individuals who have already developed it

Kaizer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2010, 8:20 pm

its things like this which make me never want to leave the house GERMS!! !!

8O

MorbidMiss
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2010, 8:38 pm

I think my son's ASD was caused by my watching Mortal Combat at least once a week while I was pregnant with him!

/sarcasm off

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 8:55 pm

...all of our precious bodily fluids!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KvgtEnABY[/youtube]

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong