Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MichelleRM78
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2010, 1:28 pm

Hi,

I am new to all of this, but I have a concern and am hoping maybe someone has had a similar situation. My boyfriend's son (almost 9) has characteristics that seem to align with asperger's. He is an average student. He doesn't feel anything for anyone (or so it appears). He doesn't hug. He isn't affectionate. He never asks anyone questions. He is socially ackward in most situations. The only humor he "gets" is potty humor. I am severly concerned for this child.

Neither of his parents think its a big deal. They think he is just "shy." I really would like them to get him evaluated. How do you go about doing that?

Thanks for any ideas,

Michelle

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 2:06 pm

The things you've mentioned aren't very conclusive, but sometimes a third party has a fresh look on a situation that parents may have missed. Still, you can't really make any of these choices or assessments for the parents - they have to see it or see a need for it, and trying to get them to see it when they don't wish to can be really tricky.

If the child is AS and the AS is impairing his performance at school, the school can be asked to make an assessment. If there is no academic hook, you go through the pediatrician. Neither process is quick or easy; often parents have to really push to get it done, particularly when a child is high functioning and the condition isn't obvious to someone who sees the child for only a few moments at a time.

I think the best path for you at this point is to gently encourage the parents to read up on the condition. Meanwhile, you can get familiar with some of the ways AS kids require different parenting, and maybe gently encourage your boyfriend to try some of those ideas without linking them to AS. Continue your own reading and see if your gaining a better understanding of AS helps you in your relationship with the child. Remain aware that the label is not as important as what it acheives or fails to acheive for the child, and much of that can be done without the label. If parents can't stomach the label but are well enough tuned in to their child to understand his quirks and guide him well, then that is probably a fair path.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 2:33 pm

MichelleRM78 wrote:
I am new to all of this, but I have a concern and am hoping maybe someone has had a similar situation. My boyfriend's son (almost 9) has characteristics that seem to align with asperger's. He is an average student. He doesn't feel anything for anyone (or so it appears). He doesn't hug. He isn't affectionate. He never asks anyone questions. He is socially ackward in most situations. The only humor he "gets" is potty humor. I am severly concerned for this child.

While some of these are traits of aspies, I would note that being potty mouthed and failing to ask questions are far more common for neurotypicals than aspies.

MichelleRM78
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2010, 2:49 pm

I appreciate the responses. I am trying to look into this as much as I can. I don't want them to have the "label" so to speak, but I think they need to start looking for some answers and help for this child. It has been a year and a half and he doesn't seem to be connected with anyone in his life. It is heartbreaking.

I am going to do some research on the neurotypicals. I m not sure I have even heard of that.

Thanks again!!

Michelle

Tracker
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 2:58 pm

MichelleRM78 wrote:
I am going to do some research on the neurotypicals. I m not sure I have even heard of that.

I would suggest caution when researching neurotypicals. They are a very strange and unusual bunch of people. Very hard to predict or make any sense of. Unfortunately they happen to make up about 99% of the population.

You see neuro means mind, and typical means normal. It is the technical way of saying normal minds, or average people (aka the ones who dont have autism or asperger's syndrome).

What he was saying is that failure to ask questions and a juvenile sense of humor is indicative of a normal 9 year old child. Typical children with asperger's syndrome tend to ask a lot of questions, and often times have a dry wit sense of humor.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 3:14 pm

Tracker wrote:
What he was saying is that failure to ask questions and a juvenile sense of humor is indicative of a normal 9 year old child.

Well, more specifically, a non-aspie child. I use the term "neurotypical" because I don't think there's anything abnormal about aspies. Different does not mean worse.

Michelle, sorry if the word was confusing, and just ignore Tracker's humor if it seems weird to you.

With respect to the swearing, aspies actually tend to do it less because aspies tend to use words literally, and most swearing uses words figuratively.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 3:17 pm

Tracker, thanks for that perfect example of Aspie dry wit humor ;) I had a good laugh :D

Michelle, to someone with AS, "normal" people make no sense at all, and are confusing, given that we react to non-verbal cues someone with AS doesn't see, and follow social norms that someone with AS either doesn't know exists, or finds illogical. That might help you get Tracker's joke.

And my apologies that those of us who have dealt with these issues for a while have a whole vocabulary that we forget may not be familiar to those new to it. I had never heard of anyone use the term "nuerotypcial" until I started reading on AS forums.

Actually, I think potty humor is more typical of a "normal" child a little younger than 9. It strikes me more as a little immature for a 9 year old than any sign towards or away from AS. But all through elementary school kids do laugh quite a lot about bodily functions. Which means ... the whole potty humor thing isn't a sign of much.

Last edited by DW_a_mom on 02 Mar 2010, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leighsa
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Mar 2010, 3:22 pm

MichelleRM78 wrote:

They think he is just "shy." I really would like them to get him evaluated. How do you go about doing that?

Hi Michelle, I was "just shy" until I was nearly 40 years old at which point my son was diagnosed with autism & as I learned about the spectrum, it all sounded very familiar. I went for an eval & as it turns out I have Asperger's. What I'm saying is sometimes Asperger's can come off to people as "just shy", although there is a lot more to it than that. To get him evaluated I would recommend a developmental psychologist, your pediatrician should be able to give you a referral. In my opinion, the Tony Attwood Asperger's Syndrome book is a good source of further information as you are learning about this. You may also want to look up the DSM criteria for autism & see if you feel he fits enough of them to be on the spectrum. Then again, its more constructive to help him with whatever issues he's facing than it is to get a label slapped on to him...

MichelleRM78
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2010, 3:30 pm

I think I may have been a little unclear. He isn't totally "into" potty humor or anything. It's just the only humor he seems to understand. Sarcasm is completely not understood. If he needs to make connections between things in a joke, he doesn't get it at all.

As for talking, he doesn't talk until he is spoken to. His answers are one and two word answers. He is obsessed with Hockey and legos and does very little else. He has no emotion for anyone, including his parents. He doesn't hug back when being hugged. He can't tell when people are annoyed with him. His speech is very monotonous. After a year and a half, I can't get close to him.

He won't try new things. If we ask him to do something he hasn't done, he just stands there until people do it for him or walk him through it step by step-- can't seem to think for himself.

Maybe it isn't anything like Autism or Aspergers, but from what I have read, it seems to fit more than anything else I can find!

Michelle

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 3:34 pm

MichelleRM78 wrote:
I think I may have been a little unclear. He isn't totally "into" potty humor or anything. It's just the only humor he seems to understand. Sarcasm is completely not understood. If he needs to make connections between things in a joke, he doesn't get it at all.

As for talking, he doesn't talk until he is spoken to. His answers are one and two word answers. He is obsessed with Hockey and legos and does very little else. He has no emotion for anyone, including his parents. He doesn't hug back when being hugged. He can't tell when people are annoyed with him. His speech is very monotonous. After a year and a half, I can't get close to him.

He won't try new things. If we ask him to do something he hasn't done, he just stands there until people do it for him or walk him through it step by step-- can't seem to think for himself.

Maybe it isn't anything like Autism or Aspergers, but from what I have read, it seems to fit more than anything else I can find!

Michelle

Ah, those descriptions sound a lot more telling. And, sorry for having a little inside fun on your thread; we deal with so many difficult issues here, sometimes we just have to make light of it all.

My advice for approach with the parents still stands, however.

Just FYI, my AS son is a hugger and quite emotionally needy. We see both sides here. What I've noticed is that AS kids are rarely "average" on anything. Beyond that, they can vary a lot.

MichelleRM78
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2010, 3:35 pm

And I apologize for not getting the joke, LOL. It's actually quite funny and I had to laugh at myself for not getting it.

Maybe he is just a normal, quiet kid who hasn't learned to think for himself....but I think its more.

I, myself, have a son who has been labeled ADHD, PTSD, etc and has a ton of his own issues. My daughter is much more typical. She is the same age as my bf's son. In comparison to kids that age, he is very "not typical" at all.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 3:41 pm

It does sound like he has some AS traits. Is it also possible that he may be depressed or withdrawn because of his parents divorce? Just a thought. This is going to be tough if he is doing okay in school, the parents may not see the problem and think like you said that he is just shy. I agree with the other posters. Maybe if you read up on Asperger's and just try to suggest things that you think might help him to come out of his shell, that might be the best. Even if a doctor does diagnose him as AS, there is not much the doctor can do anyway.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 3:43 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Tracker, thanks for that perfect example of Aspie dry wit humor ;) I had a good laugh :D

I actually found it hilarious, but I was worried that it could come across the wrong way.

leighsa wrote:
What I'm saying is sometimes Asperger's can come off to people as "just shy", although there is a lot more to it than that.

Are there really people who are "just shy" who don't have Asperger's? What would such people be like? I'd pretty much come to the conclusion that "Asperger's" really refers to the same thing that we used to call "just shy".

MichelleRM78
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2010, 3:46 pm

Well, I don't actually want a "label" or a "disorder." In fact, I wouldn't consider aspergers a disorder at all-- just as I discount the labels for my own son as ADHD and PTSD. By being able to identify with others who have children that have been "labeled" with the same thing, however, gives me more education and methods to help this boy (whom I love) and help him reach his potential. Treating each aspect of his personality separately feels quite overwhelming for me-- so when I started reading about his lack of empathy and connection, I came across the idea of aspergers and things seemed to fit. My original intention was to find ways to help him and, in the mean time, came across this "label."

MichelleRM78
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2010, 3:48 pm

Odd, there was a post on here that my last post referred to, but it seems to have disappeared. Maybe I am just seeing things!!

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 3:50 pm

MichelleRM78 wrote:

If he has Asperger's, it isn't an issue of his not being able to think for himself. Rather, it's an issue of his being unwilling to think for you. He just wants to get it right the first time, and since he hasn't done it before, giving him all the steps is the best way to let him do that.