This site is fre.... que... nt... ly... v... e r y s l o w

Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 5:40 pm

And sometimes I get a message warning that too many people are posting at once and I should watch a YouTube video instead.

Come on guys, this site isn't *that* popular.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 5:49 pm

I've noticed it has slow periods again. Tonight is the first time I've been on for a couple of days and it took over a minute to open a post - I was just about to close the browser when the page finally came up.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 12:33 pm

:lol: Yea, that is weirdly enough true... I don't even know what is going on with the server or something? But as far as I know, this is the only Aspie site seems to be overloaded compared to other sites, then again, they are not as popular as wrongplanet is.

We did recently after all been transferred to another server...

I was just wondering, does servers fraggment the way computers do?

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 4:30 pm

No. Either WP is:

- Not paying enough for bandwidth
- Not paying for large enough server(s)
- Not configuring or maintaining their software correctly

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 7:12 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
No. Either WP is:

The server is however VERY expensive and it costed us about $4800 including the back-up server incase of hardware of failure and we did however end up having to use it due to the fact there was a failure in the database of missing accounts due to bad moderation.

You are correct, it could either be one of those problems as I have quoted.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 7:39 pm

superboyian wrote:
MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
No. Either WP is:

The server is however VERY expensive and it costed us about $4800 including the back-up server incase of hardware of failure and we did however end up having to use it due to the fact there was a failure in the database of missing accounts due to bad moderation.

You are correct, it could either be one of those problems as I have quoted.

Superboyian, you continue to reference bad moderation as a cause for myriad things when the removal of those accounts would not sufficiently impact the function of the site, it has been over a month since the events being referenced, and you speak with only a limited understanding of the situation. There are times when it is better to stick to what is known over what is presumed.

MFSIM, WP is one of the largest support forums for ASDs with over 33,500 members (of which, likely over 4,000 are active members) and an unknown number of unique lurkers and visitors on a daily basis. The site speed has improved over time (including a recent server upgrade), but still encounters issues during period of site maintenance, adjustments made by Alex to the software itself, and heavy traffic among other reasons. The software on which WP is based upon is grossly outdated and in fact no longer has any support whatsoever offered by the developers at this point, which may also account for some lag issues.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 7:46 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
Superboyian, you continue to reference bad moderation as a cause for myriad things when the removal of those accounts would not sufficiently impact the function of the site, it has been over a month since the events being referenced, and you speak with only a limited understanding of the situation. There are times when it is better to stick to what is known over what is presumed.

Sorry about that.... But it did WP did sort of slowed down from that point.... I shall apologise for bringing up a pointless discussion, I shall do harder not to bring it up.

I guess i'm just clueless why its been going slow.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 8:19 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
And sometimes I get a message warning that too many people are posting at once and I should watch a YouTube video instead.

Come on guys, this site isn't *that* popular.

:lol: :lmao: :lmao:
I see you just joined, you havent seen slow!! !! ! WP just got a new server recently to speed the place up, and this is the fast version of WP, you should have been here when this place was slooooooooow :lol: :lmao: :wall:
Now it is slow on occasion, maybe twice a day when there are a ton of people on at once, when before, there were times you couldnt even get on here days at a time, and when you could, you would still get the WP overload screen.
You might think that WP is not that popular, but right now there are 680 people here, and 800-900 people here at once posting and lurking is a good many for a server, and will max out the server and bring up the WP in overload screen.
The person who runs this place, runs it with donations (and a lot of his own money I would guess), so I guess the only way to get more speed, is if more people donated (so Alex the owner can buy better and faster equipment)

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 8:28 pm

I'm a monthly donator so I'm already helping out. Getting this site running stable.

Which is much similar way to pay for the server and you would get the WP supporter badge aswell like me.

The site however loaded very very slowly before you arrived MyFutureSelfnMe that you would have a long break and come back and it would STILL be on the same page, that is what you call slow. :lol:

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 1:09 am

I'm not a hosting expert, but the kind of traffic you're talking about shouldn't be horrendously expensive to handle.

I'm going to bet on software.

I'm not quite ready to fork out at this point, but I'm a software engineer with web experience (very hardcore web experience, as in I wrote everything including the HTTP server itself and an eRuby parser). If you guys would like help moving to a more robust and shiny platform, I'm more than willing to help.

Server busy pages are not well received by the general public *at all* these days. :)

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 1:15 am

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
I'm not a hosting expert, but the kind of traffic you're talking about shouldn't be horrendously expensive to handle.

I'm going to bet on software.

I'm not quite ready to fork out at this point, but I'm a software engineer with web experience (very hardcore web experience, as in I wrote everything including the HTTP server itself and an eRuby parser). If you guys would like help moving to a more robust and shiny platform, I'm more than willing to help.

Server busy pages are not well received by the general public *at all* these days. :)

There are many ways to reach Alex; when you are prepared to propose your suggestion, you can email, PM, IM, facebook, even call using the link on the bottom of each page. He's the only relevant ear for what you want to discuss, to be honest.

M.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 6:16 pm

I PMed Alex and offered to purchase and configure the latest vBulletin if he's interested.

I'm pretty sure the site issues are software related

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 6:24 pm

From what I understand, an important aspect is to preserve the existing threads and history of WP - you may want to consider how to achieve that with your proposal as well.

M.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 6:33 pm

I will discuss that with him. I'm not familiar enough with both pieces of software to formulate a detailed plan at the moment, I'd rather hear if it's within the realm of possibility before investing any time.

I can guarantee that I would find a way.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 11:46 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
He's the only relevant ear for what you want to discuss, to be honest.

Or perhaps Lau.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 12:51 am

Orwell wrote:
makuranososhi wrote:
He's the only relevant ear for what you want to discuss, to be honest.

Or perhaps Lau.

Not at this time.

M.