Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 6:11 am

1. Yes, but only thumb-second, thumb-third fingers, not thumb-first finger or thumb-little finger.
2. Yes, but only just and only with my left hand :) (my right thumb didn't set properly after being broken a long time ago, it doesn't have the full range of movement anymore)

The year is still young.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 6:22 am

b9 wrote:
i just thought that the condition you may be referring to was marfans. sorry.

:) no problem, I was more thinking about the use of those two signs in the dx of something like marfans

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Mar 2010, 8:07 am

I can do all but the last one.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 8:19 am

Yup, I can do all those things.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 8:46 am

I can do all of them but my thumb doesn't extend past my pinky.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 4:55 am

Just as I thought, I guess it is a pretty common thing that people can do :mrgreen:

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 11:08 am

Be honest. When you saw the thread title "Can you do this with your hands?", what's the first thing that came into your head? :lol:

Anyways, I can do some of that... A bit... With pain and difficulty :P

Brennan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2010, 6:11 pm

The disorder is hypermobility syndrome and can also be a common feature in those that have Ehlers-Danos Syndrome which is a disorder of the connective tissue.

I have hypermobile joints, but can't do the classical tests that doctors do to test you for hypermobility syndrome. I can, however, dislocate my thumb joints without causing any pain. It does cause some issues with using implements though cause my thumb joints are frequently not where they are supposed to be.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 6:13 pm

I can do all of them, in addition to putting my feet behind my head etc. Why would it be considered a syndrome?

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 6:14 pm

Yes, I can just about do number 1 and definitely can do that with number 2 but everything else I simply can't do.

Brennan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2010, 11:46 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
I can do all of them, in addition to putting my feet behind my head etc. Why would it be considered a syndrome?

Hypermobility Syndrome isn't just the ability to do really flexible things with your joints. In hypermobility syndrome there are medical complications that come from having hypermobile joints.

Since I can't post links here is the relevant info from Wikipedia.

Hypermobility syndrome is generally considered to comprise hypermobility together with other symptoms, such as myalgia and arthralgia. It is relatively common among children and affects more females than males.

People with hypermobility syndrome may develop other conditions caused by their unstable joints. These conditions include:

* Joint instability causing frequent sprains, tendinitis, or bursitis when doing activities that would not affect the normal individual.
* Early-onset osteoarthritis
* Subluxations or dislocations, especially in the shoulder
* Knee pain
* Back pain, prolapsed discs or spondylolisthesis
* Joints that make clicking noises
* Susceptibility to whiplash
* Temperomandibular Joint Syndrome also known as TMJ
* Increased nerve compression disorders (i.e. carpal tunnel syndrome)
* The ability of Finger Locking

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 12:16 am

I don't really have any of those negative effects. I just have tight muscles (I should probably get a professional massage once in a while) and I consider myself flexible.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 1:15 am

I match danielismyname - JUST touching thumb to midfinger for 1, nay, for 2.

{A} can and does flex his fingers backward where mine just extens straight except for the slightly inward flexed index of each hand.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 4:00 am

i thought everyone could do that :? .

on reaching around my wrist, my fingers even overlap past the first knuckle.
though that's not so much flexibility as me just having thinner & longer bones than some people and being able to do that because of my genetics.

i can do some other tricks though:

-like twist my thumb behind my hand

-and make the ring finger on my right hand point up while the others point down. Like with the ring finger being the only finger that's not bent down at the knuckle, and, as you can see in the picture, in fact, even angled slightly upwards from the top of the hand. (although i can't do it on my left hand, nor can any of my friends do that on any of their hands, so i'm sure it's not a common ability)

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 5:49 am

Seanmw, 8O thats some flexable thumbs you got there 8O

Brennan wrote:
The disorder is hypermobility syndrome and can also be a common feature in those that have Ehlers-Danos Syndrome which is a disorder of the connective tissue.

I have hypermobile joints, but can't do the classical tests that doctors do to test you for hypermobility syndrome. I can, however, dislocate my thumb joints without causing any pain. It does cause some issues with using implements though cause my thumb joints are frequently not where they are supposed to be.

why cant they do the classic tests with you?

I possibly have a genetic disorder, most likely connective tissue genetic disorder (thats how I learned about those two tests)
I am 25, and have a lot of the major issues, heart valve prolapse and regurgitation, mild scoliosis (back pain is starting to become regular, but still mild), the hypermobility (worst in my shoulders) and low muscle tone has caused me to have nerve damage in my feet, hands and wrists. The nerve damage has caused most parts of my feet have went numb (no feeling) many years ago, but pain in my hands, wrists and shoulders. Havent been able to totally figure out yet if I have early arthritis starting, or if it is continuing nerve damage. I have some mild swallowing issues, have always had speech disorder/issues, and obvious everthing with being on the spectrum (although I am probably techniquly not on the spectrum if I have a genetic disorder, who knows :shrug:

I handle pain well, and dont take any pain meds, or any type of meds (i have a fear of meds), bicycle racing is my med, and I plan to race until the heart gets to the point that it forces me to stop (or just kills me).

So no, being able to do those things with your hands does not mean anything, it is no disorder or anything, but if you have many other things going on, they can use the first two hand signs as tests.

The first one, being able to put your hands around your wrist and overlape you pinky and thumb, is supposed to show that you might have long fingers. The secound one with your thumb, also shows long fingers (but I guess could also be hypermobel joints).
Being albe to do what Seanmw can do with his thumb, now thats hypermobility 8O