Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 12:04 am

The police could have simply asked him to roll up his windows and/or turn the music down, but to arrest him seems pretty extreme. I don't particularly care for rap, and I especially don't want to overhear obscene song lyrics being blasted from someone's car, but I wouldn't want that person to be arrested for it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 12:09 am

That's crazy.

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 12:18 am

Rap or not, I hate people listening to loud music in their cars, I don't want to hear your crap, it's my right not to be touched by it, sound pollution is disturbing, it's a form of violence and as such must be punished, well done.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 12:27 am

I wish there were more people like him getting arrested in my area.

It's annoying as hell and really just a scream for attention.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 12:34 am

Once the State gets to decide what is and what isn't offensive and base prohibitions on such, civil rights are essentially over. The article doesn't even say that he was playing the music loudly, just that it was audible outside of the car, which leaves a lot of auditory wiggle room. In most jurisdictions of the US you can be cited for disturbing the peace for playing your car stereo too loudly, but they don't get to take the content of what you're listening to into account, which would seem imminently reasonable. I can only hope that the local courts agree, and perhaps give the teen a chunk of the police budget for his inconvenience so that the lesson sticks.

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 1:57 am

Oh for f_ck's sake. Eta kooram nah smech. I don't care how offensive the lyrics may have been. To arrest someone for listening to music is just plain wrong. I wouldn't support arresting someone even for listening to Deutschland Über Alles. I believe in freedom of speech, and that includes the right to say something really stupid and mean in a public place. Doesn't matter how profane it is. It's words. I am personally offended by all the auto-tune and imbecility being poured over me through the speakers inside the grocery stores, but I get what I need, I pay, and I leave. The idea of arresting someone for listening to, or saying, something you don't agree with, no matter how indefensible the ideas expressed may be, is a direct violation of the freedom of speech, which is much much worse than any verbal expression.

Mikelight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Mar 2010, 3:57 am

well normally I'd say his rights were violated but since it's rap music, it's ok.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 1:01 am

I think that people should be able to listen to whatever music they want. In other words, this is ridiculous.

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 11:04 pm

Descartes wrote:
The police could have simply asked him to roll up his windows and/or turn the music down, but to arrest him seems pretty extreme. I don't particularly care for rap, and I especially don't want to overhear obscene song lyrics being blasted from someone's car, but I wouldn't want that person to be arrested for it.
This.

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 12:26 am

Descartes wrote:

i endorse this.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 4:21 am

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 5:26 am

The key word is "offensive".

Playing ANY music too loudly could be considered a public nuisance but they were talking about the actual lyrics which were not the young man's fault.

I consider a lot of rap and modern music to be obscene and disgusting but if the government allows these songs to be sold and played over the radio then how is the fault of some poor fool for just listening to it?

Illite
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Mar 2010, 1:54 pm

For some reason I dont feel sorry for the dumbass. If your too stupid to roll up your windows, you deserve what they throw at you. Shame we dont see tickets for all these idiots who drive around with their radios blaring for everyone to listen too.

I am all for the freedom to listen to whatever music you want to, I just dont think everyone else should have to listen to it with you.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 1:26 pm

It would be funny to have someone going through the town playing the Horst Wessel Lied and other Nazi songs out loud for people to hear from their car.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 1:28 pm

LMAO! Australia is the new China, you heard it here first!