Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 12:58 am

They should take pride. Some of my greatest peers and friends are NTs.

Postures
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 1:07 am

Not really. Being proud of your neurological status is dumb.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

11 Mar 2010, 1:20 am

ursaminor wrote:
Pride in being different is kind of like feeling superior.
I think.

Not in all cases. I take pride in being a vegetarian not because it makes me different but because I'm doing something for a cause that I believe in.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 2:42 am

I'm gonna guess most NTs just don't think about it much. It's probably kind of like the way I as a white American don't think much about the fact that I'm white. Not being in the minority, that aspect of yourself doesn't stand out very much.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 7:05 am

I think NTz might be grateful and perhaps relieved that they are not Autistic.

I can't see how there is any rational grounds for being proud of being NT (or not being AS) :?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 7:18 am

I posted this because there are threads going on about aspie pride about rather you are proud to have it or not. So I wondered if NTs take pride to not having AS or whatever.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 11:45 am

I believe they do, depending on how you define it.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 12:06 pm

I don't really think they really rely on being a NT or really think about it, they just get on with what is ahead of them.

MommyJones
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 2:35 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I posted this because there are threads going on about aspie pride about rather you are proud to have it or not. So I wondered if NTs take pride to not having AS or whatever.

I wonder if the pride they feel is really pride in themselves as the whole person they are, not necessarily pride in the fact that they have AS? In other words, Do autistic people who are proud of being AS define themselves as an Autistic and they are proud of that in itself? or is the autism only a part of their whole self and are they really proud of the fact that they are a person who has AS, with AS only being one characteristic of many, and they are really proud of being who they are and what they have been able to accomplish? (much like the NT's who have responded to this)

I wonder if you sat and thought about it, one may realize that what makes them proud of being a person with AS is really about things that have nothing, or little to do with their autism.

make sense?

I'm not proud of not having AS. I am glad however that I don't have some characteristics of it that cause difficulty. I don't feel superior, just thankful that I don't have to deal with things that are clearly difficult to work through, such as sensory issues or other things that may cause life to be more difficult than it already is.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 4:20 pm

Callista wrote:
I'm gonna guess most NTs just don't think about it much. It's probably kind of like the way I as a white American don't think much about the fact that I'm white. Not being in the minority, that aspect of yourself doesn't stand out very much.

Exactly. It would be like going over to a board for deaf people and being asked if you are proud of your hearing. (I picked deaf people because they also have a fairly strong culture.) If some aspect of yourself doesn't stand out in any particular way, solidarity-type pride doesn't really happen.

DavidM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Mar 2010, 4:42 pm

I'm a proud schizophrenic! The voices in my head are my best (and only) friends. :D

Jimbeaux
Toucan
Toucan

11 Mar 2010, 9:27 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Since there are all these threads going on about aspie pride, I decided to ask NTs if they take pride to being NT.

No. Most NT's don't even think about it. When you are a member of the "majority" of whatever attribute, you don't tend to focus on it. Kind of like how straight people don't often think about being straight, or white people in America think about being white.

KoS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Mar 2010, 9:40 pm

Like a couple of people said, not proud of being NT, proud of thing I've achieved and who I am.

I don't think pride should ever be equated with level or style of brain function, it's not enough! It's like saying "I'm proud I exist" which makes no sense to me.