Mississippi Prom Halted: Lesbian wanted to bring Girlfriend

Page 2 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

DenvrDave
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 6:44 pm

pumibel wrote:
i agree that it was a spiteful act to cancel the dance. But I am wondering why the girl didn't just keep her mouth shut and show up with her girlfriend? Both are students. They just go to the dance. There is no law stating a woman must wear a dress anywhere in the US. If she shows up in a tuxedo with another girl, no one can do a damn thing if the dance is already going on. So did she make a grandstanding scene before the prom telling everyone what she was going to do? I don't understand that part. I didn't have to declare to anyone who I was bringing or what I was wearing when I went to prom.

That said, I just want to be clear that I think there is nothing wrong with a lesbian having a girl prom date and wearing a tux. I just wonder how it got blown up before the actual date of the dance.

I completely agree. If their intent was to show up as a couple, they could have kept it on the down-low until the night of the dance and then just shown up with little/no incident. So the fact this got media attention indicates their intention was not necessarily to go to the dance, but...to get media attention. Little girl trying to draw attention to yourself...be careful what you wish for.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 7:21 pm

You're all wrong, Texas is the Mid-West South! ;)

Mississippi is kinda slow. But this is ridicules.

bully_on_speed
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 7:29 pm

would they comprimise if she wore a dress?

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 9:58 pm

DenvrDave wrote:
pumibel wrote:
i agree that it was a spiteful act to cancel the dance. But I am wondering why the girl didn't just keep her mouth shut and show up with her girlfriend? Both are students. They just go to the dance. There is no law stating a woman must wear a dress anywhere in the US. If she shows up in a tuxedo with another girl, no one can do a damn thing if the dance is already going on. So did she make a grandstanding scene before the prom telling everyone what she was going to do? I don't understand that part. I didn't have to declare to anyone who I was bringing or what I was wearing when I went to prom.

That said, I just want to be clear that I think there is nothing wrong with a lesbian having a girl prom date and wearing a tux. I just wonder how it got blown up before the actual date of the dance.

I completely agree. If their intent was to show up as a couple, they could have kept it on the down-low until the night of the dance and then just shown up with little/no incident. So the fact this got media attention indicates their intention was not necessarily to go to the dance, but...to get media attention. Little girl trying to draw attention to yourself...be careful what you wish for.

Even if they had shown up as a couple with no prior mention of their intent I think they wouldn't have been allowed in anyway. The district does not allow same-sex prom partners.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2010, 5:33 am

bully_on_speed wrote:
would they comprimise if she wore a dress?

I think wearing a tux was a compromise. A couple in dresses would have been more visually disruptive.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2010, 2:59 pm

Descartes wrote:
DenvrDave wrote:
pumibel wrote:

Even if they had shown up as a couple with no prior mention of their intent I think they wouldn't have been allowed in anyway. The district does not allow same-sex prom partners.

How stupid- sometimes girls go to dances together "stag" and are not necessarily partners, so to forbid a girl to bring another girl to prom is just dumb. This is one backwards town. Don't they know that if you act like it is no big deal there is really less drama? They got media attention because they made a big deal of it and the girls were too immature to understand the benefits of keeping things on the DL. If they both had tickets and walked in to the dance without letting on that they were a romantic couple it would be a non-issue.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2010, 4:13 pm

Damn. That is terrible. I thought human beings were over this sort of gross discrimination. Clearly not.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 5:31 pm

Texas is big enough that it straddles the line; back in the day, there was 'West of the Pecos', which is considered part of the West.
I think the real problem is trying to avoid controversy and confrontation, rather than slapping a whole part of the country with narrow-mindedness. (Maybe they were afraid seeing two lesbians making out would totally distract the guys from dancing...which is about the level of discourse we've been treated to...;)
No area of the country has a monopoly on prejudice (sorry, but I'm 6th Generation Texan...had to stick my oar in as an interested party...;)

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 11:16 am

DenvrDave wrote:
pumibel wrote:

Especially when the ACLU gets involved. I'm not a big fan of ACLU btw because they have a tendency to represent some VERY ridiculous cases. There was this one case about this high school kid in New Orleans who wanted to wear a Colts jersey on a day when students were only allowed to wear Saints colors or gear. (This is a parochial school so this was a dress-down day). Well after the principal told him "no", he still came to school in Colts gear and got in trouble. And claimed his right to free speech was violated. What bull. Does ACLU have to get involved with EVERY case of a student that wants to break school rules and call it a case of "violated right of free speech?" :roll:

Plus the number of success that ACLU has with representing small cases like this are slim to none...especially since we're talking about the South here and none of this discrimination should come as all that surprising.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 11:56 pm

Anyone left have a punch? The dumb ones could use a taste after telling everyone to leave the room empty.

Brennan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Mar 2010, 1:00 am

pumibel wrote:
How stupid- sometimes girls go to dances together "stag" and are not necessarily partners, so to forbid a girl to bring another girl to prom is just dumb. This is one backwards town. Don't they know that if you act like it is no big deal there is really less drama? They got media attention because they made a big deal of it and the girls were too immature to understand the benefits of keeping things on the DL. If they both had tickets and walked in to the dance without letting on that they were a romantic couple it would be a non-issue.

Some schools don't allow girls to go to the prom without a date. By the sounds of it, this school was one of them. Therefore, the girls were left no choice but to ask if they could together or miss out on going to their prom altogether, so they couldn't just keep things on the DL.

Totally agree with you that this is one backwards town. Is the whole of society really going to fall over if two girls go to the prom together?

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 4:05 am

Brennan wrote:
pumibel wrote:

Some schools don't allow girls to go to the prom without a date. By the sounds of it, this school was one of them. Therefore, the girls were left no choice but to ask if they could together or miss out on going to their prom altogether, so they couldn't just keep things on the DL.

Totally agree with you that this is one backwards town. Is the whole of society really going to fall over if two girls go to the prom together?

[German accent] Of course! Don't you know anything about science? [/German accent] :)

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 11:13 am

i'm pretty sure richard feynman proved, mathematically, that letting girls kiss girls or boys kiss boys rips a hole in spacetime and is the reason for the seasonal flu.

i <3 america. we is so smart and progressivesoup.

***is it bad that i feel the need to put a disclaimer here stating that the above statements are a joke?***

codarac
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 2:20 pm

Brennan wrote:

Is the whole of society really going to fall over if two girls go to the prom together?

Surprisingly enough, that sentence also 'works' if you alter it slightly, like this:
"Is the whole of society really going to fall over if two girls are prevented from going to the prom together?"

You know, I think homosexuals in the modern Western world get treated with more tolerance and respect than they have at any other time or place in history, and that's a good thing too. But that doesn't mean we have to pretend that homosexuality and heterosexuality are equal, when they are clearly not. Society has no need for homosexuality, whereas without heterosexuality none of us would be here. In light of this obvious fact, why is it such a big deal if heterosexual couples are denied access to certain clubs or institutions?

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 2:58 pm

codarac wrote:
Brennan wrote:

Is the whole of society really going to fall over if two girls go to the prom together?

Surprisingly enough, that sentence also 'works' if you alter it slightly, like this:
"Is the whole of society really going to fall over if two girls are prevented from going to the prom together?"

You know, I think homosexuals in the modern Western world get treated with more tolerance and respect than they have at any other time or place in history, and that's a good thing too. But that doesn't mean we have to pretend that homosexuality and heterosexuality are equal, when they are clearly not. Society has no need for homosexuality, whereas without heterosexuality none of us would be here. In light of this obvious fact, why is it such a big deal if heterosexual couples are denied access to certain clubs or institutions?

Actually, heterosexual attraction is not strictly necessary for sexual procreation. It only promotes procreation by means of motivation. And without motivation, it isn't de facto valuable, anyway.

codarac
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 2:33 pm

PLA wrote:
codarac wrote:
Brennan wrote:

Actually, heterosexual attraction is not strictly necessary for sexual procreation. It only promotes procreation by means of motivation. And without motivation, it isn't de facto valuable, anyway.

There's always one, isn't there? There's always somebody who'll deny the sky is blue if they think it's politically correct to do so.