Mississippi Prom Halted: Lesbian wanted to bring Girlfriend

Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 12:19 am

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/3435896/Prom-cancelled-over-lesbian-demand

druidsbird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 1:00 am

Apparently 21st century isn't epidemic.

Brennan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Mar 2010, 1:22 am

It always amazes me just how narrow-minded people are.

Now all of the people in this girl's year are going to hate her cause she caused the prom to be canceled. Perhaps that was the authorities aim.

Postures
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 1:25 am

Ridiculous :x

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 2:38 am

I may not understand homosexuality, but I am a strong believer in equality.

If this had happened when I was still in the South, someone in the command chain of the school would've been shot.

I agree with ^^^, they probably did it to turn the whole school against her. The Southern mentality being what it is, I'm surprised that a lynch mob hasn't already been formed. Its only a matter of time before this whole situation goes straight to hell.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 11:40 am

This is beyond ridiculous. They have to ruin it for everyone all because they're so ignorant and narrow-minded. This is one of the reasons I hate the South. They're always dragging the rest of the country down. The South is truly the armpit of America.

Last edited by Descartes on 11 Mar 2010, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 12:00 pm

Descartes wrote:
This is beyond ridiculous. They have to ruin it for everyone all because they're so ignorant and narrow-minded. This is one of the reasons I hate the South. They're always dragging the rest of the country down. The South if truly the armpit of America.

Texas is the armpit. The south is the ass hole.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 4:05 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
Descartes wrote:
This is beyond ridiculous. They have to ruin it for everyone all because they're so ignorant and narrow-minded. This is one of the reasons I hate the South. They're always dragging the rest of the country down. The South if truly the armpit of America.

Texas sucks too; but whether Texas is part of the South or not is debateable.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 5:52 pm

i agree that it was a spiteful act to cancel the dance. But I am wondering why the girl didn't just keep her mouth shut and show up with her girlfriend? Both are students. They just go to the dance. There is no law stating a woman must wear a dress anywhere in the US. If she shows up in a tuxedo with another girl, no one can do a damn thing if the dance is already going on. So did she make a grandstanding scene before the prom telling everyone what she was going to do? I don't understand that part. I didn't have to declare to anyone who I was bringing or what I was wearing when I went to prom.

That said, I just want to be clear that I think there is nothing wrong with a lesbian having a girl prom date and wearing a tux. I just wonder how it got blown up before the actual date of the dance.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 5:59 pm

pumibel wrote:
i agree that it was a spiteful act to cancel the dance. But I am wondering why the girl didn't just keep her mouth shut and show up with her girlfriend? Both are students. They just go to the dance. There is no law stating a woman must wear a dress anywhere in the US. If she shows up in a tuxedo with another girl, no one can do a damn thing if the dance is already going on. So did she make a grandstanding scene before the prom telling everyone what she was going to do? I don't understand that part. I didn't have to declare to anyone who I was bringing or what I was wearing when I went to prom.

That said, I just want to be clear that I think there is nothing wrong with a lesbian having a girl prom date and wearing a tux. I just wonder how it got blown up before the actual date of the dance.

The district did not allow same-sex prom dates to begin with, from what I'd read. Good ol' Mississippi...

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 2:50 pm

Descartes wrote:
MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
Descartes wrote:

Texas i part of the Midwest.

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 3:51 pm

ikorack wrote:
Descartes wrote:
MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
Descartes wrote:

I always thought Texas was part of the South (it was one of the seceding states during the Civil War).

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 4:06 pm

ikorack wrote:
Descartes wrote:
MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
Descartes wrote:

I can guarantee you that Texas is not part of the Midwest. :roll:

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 4:22 pm

I thought that Texas is on the southern border. :?

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 5:18 pm

Everybody acting like narrow-mindedness is only a characteristic of the South is showing just how widespread it really is.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 5:24 pm

PLA wrote:
I thought that Texas is on the southern border. :?

Texas has an ambiguous location. Some would consider Texas to be part of the Southwest, and some would consider it to be part of the "good ol" South. I personally think that Texas is so big it's practically its own region.

Quote:
Everybody acting like narrow-mindedness is only a characteristic of the South is showing just how widespread it really is.

It sure is prevalent in the South. The South has historically had issues with regards to civil rights.