Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 10:09 am

NYPost wrote:
Asperger's syndrome tops Google searches after plotline on NBC show 'Parenthood'

A storyline on the new NBC sitcom "Parenthood" is raising public awareness of Asperger's syndrome - at least according to Google searches.

"Asperger's" (and various misspellings) were among the top Google trends Wednesday morning after the second episode of the hourlong drama, which features a character with Asperger's, aired Tuesday night.

Asperger's is a form of high-functioning autism often characterized by inability to pick up on social cues, heightened sensitivity, and an intense focus on only one or a few interests. Because it is at the low end of the autism spectrum, people without awareness of the condition may assume someone with Asperger's is simply quirky or socially awkward.

On "Parenthood," parents Adam and Kristina Braverman (played by Peter Krause and Monica Potter) are told their young son Max (played by Max Burkholder) may have Asperger's, and Adam is seen struggling to connect with his son.

"Parenthood" writer and executive producer Jason Katims has a 13-year-old son with Asperger's, and has said NBC was "supportive but wary" about the Asperger's plotline.

"They want to be careful of making something either feel too heavy, or something where you’re not talking to a large enough audience," Katims told the Newark Star-Ledger.

"My hope would be that it normalizes it," Katims continued. "So there's no stigma to it, no mystery to it."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... z0hsgDISSc

FredOak3
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Mar 2010, 10:22 am

I saw the episode where they first disclosed the sons condition. At first I thought they were going to go to the extreme but then they showed him in his classroom and wanting to get to his baseball game and it took away from the negitive way I thought they first presented him.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 12:06 pm

maybe ill have to check this show out sometime...

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 1:57 pm

They'll spot us immediately now.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 7:45 pm

Good. Maybe we can teach people a thing, or two. The icing on the cake, is that our membership could double, within a matter of a few months. :)

Athenacapella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2010, 10:06 pm

I've watched the show, after reading about the Asperger's plot. I hope they don't go too far with it, or start making fun of it at the kid's (character's) expense. I mean, I can laugh at myself; it's a lot different when people are laughing AT me.