Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 2:57 pm

http://www.magazines.com/product/autism ... ers-digest

I'm not sure if this magazine represents us well since I've never read it but IMO it's good there's a magazine focused on Autism and Asperger's out there. Does anyone else have experience with the magazine? Thanks.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 3:20 pm

I have not a clue as to what the magazine is like. I am interested to know why the publisher do not show some content for free online such as one issue so people can see if they like the sort of thing in the magazine.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 3:46 pm

I'll have to browse through a copy of that magazine, in a store, before I can form any opinions.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 5:01 pm

It's hard to tell without a sample article but it does look promising. In the "more information" section it seems that Temple Grandin has a regular column in the magazine which I take as an endorsement that it has a positive approach.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 12:29 pm

I have decided to subscribe so I'll let you know after the first issue arrives.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 6:15 pm

A good company, I have been in contact, and they do cover the whole field. They are not just a magazine, They are a book publisher, and produce Temple Grandin, and I think, Look me in the Eye.

There is a list on their web site.

They are general, writing for parents, teachers, it is not the science articles, it reaches a broad readership.

Psychology and Autism Speaks are outsider views, Wrong Planet an insider view, Autism Digest is where the views converge.

I liked them as a publishing company and as people.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 11:41 am

I got a subscription and just got my first issue. While I think that WP members would approve of its philosophy (like Inventor), it's really geared towards NT parents of autistic children. The issue I just recieved has an article about how to have an autism-friendly family vacation, things to look for in an Early Intervention program, how to understand the non-verbal communications of your non-verbal child. All invaluable stuff for a parent. But I think that autistic adults with no children would find it very boring.

It is worth noting (Inventor did note) that its philosphical grounding is in accepting neurodiversity rather than demanding a cure. So do recommend it to NT parents of AS children that you know even if you personally couldn't stand to read an article about IEP meetings.