Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 4:47 pm

I'm a perfectionist by temperament, which slows me down.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 7:51 pm

Any slower and I would be going backwards topic

As long as the task is eactly the same, and the steps to complete it identical, then I can be faster than average. But employment is no longer this way, and with multitasking and task switching, it is dang near impossible to complete any job related task in the time alloted by the emplyer. :(

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 8:14 pm

I am and have always been slow at what I do. In school I finished tests last (or among the last), I was always last to finish up when we did experiments, and I did tasks slow even in subjects where I excelled. Also in other areas I’m slow, cleaning up, writing letters, you name it. I use a lot of time formulating sentences I use in writing.

I don’t know why. I can be a perfectionist in regards to some projects (especially writing). I have a hard time getting started and knowing where to start when a task overwhelms me, and if a task is boring I can’t go at it for more than a very short time before I’m off to la-la-land (and before that I’m even slower than usual). And even when doing tasks I like, I’m easily distracted, and keep losing my focus, spacing out, getting lost in thoughts.

If someone is behind me or leans over me, I lean over what I’m doing, unable to go on as long as he/she is there and also unwilling to let anyone see the unfinished product, even a teacher to whom I might deliver the paper 5 minutes later.
If I’m rushed or stressed I get even slower and can get to the point where I feel completely confused and words just stop making sense.

But once I get into hyper focus, for instance when I’m writing and have the contents ready in my mind, I can actually be quick, as long as it’s silent around me so I can reach that point.

I wonder why so many of us are like that.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

danieltaiwan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2010, 7:22 am

But once I get into hyper focus, for instance when I’m writing and have the contents ready in my mind, I can actually be quick, as long as it’s silent around me so I can reach that point.

I wonder why so many of us are like that.[/quote]

Once I'm focused I do things much faster as well I tend to do one task at a time and not multi task. What I hate is when people disturb me when I'm hyper focused and "break the bubble" it makes me really pissed.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 5:13 pm

I'm slow, I usually fall behind in tasks easily because of it. I like things to be correct, so I don't rush, my old electronics teacher didn't mind, it wouldn't surprise me if he was on the spectrum actually. If you met him you'd understand...

Still, I tend to be ahead because my slowness is offset by my not wasting time chatting. And even when I do talk to the guy near me about computers, it's while working. Probably because I don't make eye contact, which would distract the NT's from the work.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 6:14 pm

I've always been slow with doing things, I can't rush and HATE to be rushed. If people try to rush me I'm all over the place and I'm like "Stop rushing me!! ! Just wait a min PLEASE!!" Any project I have to do is done slowly because I can only do things right if it's at my OWN pace, so because of that some things at school like when we had to sew cushions in year 7 I barely reached half way and things like essays and tests are always hard to do.

I'm always the last one out of the classroom for some reason, I can start packing my things away at the same time as everyone else but still be the last one out the door. When I was at primary school it would often take me the whole break time to finish my dinner and it took me forever to get changed for PE.

I have no sense of rush and being rushed just stresses me out and doesn't get anything done quicker.

I try to get round this by doing things way way in advance, like getting my bus pass out of my purse while I'm walking down the street so I don't have to fumble around when the bus gets there and keep everybody waiting.

Another edit: not only do I do things so but I process everything slowly as well, every reaction is slowed down to varying degress. I often miss what people say because even though I've heard something I haven't taken anything in and it takes some seconds so I'm always saying "what". I can't do mental arithmatic to save my life for this reason. It takes a while to think of comebacks in sarcasm sessions and I'm often just listening to all these insults and jokes flying around at the speed of light and I can't keep up with them.

tl:dr IM JUST REALLY SLOOOOOOOOOOOW

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 6:40 pm

OMG I can't keep adding things so I'll make another post. There's so many posts I agree with and reasons for my apparent slowness.

Oh f**k it: WHAT EVERYONE ELSE SAID ^^^

Night_Owl_Amber
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Mar 2010, 4:07 am

It takes me a long time to do things. I agree with a lot of people on here about perfection and making sure things are ''done properly''
A lot of the time I tend to go into my own world and think about random things which also slows me down.....................

Boudicca
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2010, 8:32 am

malya2006 wrote:
Ok I'm really sorry for hijacking this post but I really need to know..I have a 6 year old AS son that is suuuuuuuper slow at everything. I love him to death but there are times in life where you have to hurry in order not to be late for things like appointments, school, swim classes, etc. How do I help him be ready on time? I feel so bad for rushing him because I know he hates it but if I let him have his way, he would do whatever he wants for hours and then decide two hours later he is ready to go. When he realizes he missed whatever he was scheduled for, he cries and feels bad because he missed it. How do I help him?

I guess whenever possible, start well in advance. Also, maybe you can start cuing him with the clock - "see, it's now 8:45 and we have 15 minutes until 9:00, which is when we have to leave to get to swimming lessons by 9:30. You might start using a timer, also. Can he tell time?

JadedMantis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Mar 2010, 10:00 am

CerebralDreamer wrote:
It depends on what I'm doing.

I'm really slow when it comes to arithmetic and basic reading. My rote memory is average. The only place I really seem to excel is abstraction. I can make sense of things in my head without much effort, yet that's not always what people test for. In a lot of cases people expect rote memory, or some sort of intellectual 'grunt-work' like arithmetic.

It always seemed like as the difficulty of the assignment/test/paper went up, the better I did compared to everyone else.

That's pretty much my experience too.

Autistic-Me_Star
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2010, 1:10 pm

my learning is slow even though im a fast thinker im a basic level to understand things but were all different