Poll ended at 29 Jun 2010, 7:48 pm
yes 90%  90%  [ 80 ]
no 10%  10%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 89

Topcat16
Raven
Raven

21 Mar 2010, 7:48 pm

or should there be a different system, say reduced terms, seeing as i think this comes down to whether jail is for rehabilitation or punishment . obviously aspies differ in how they rehabilitate to nts

Brennan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2010, 7:51 pm

Of course they should. If you break the law, you should pay for it. If the situation relates to their Asperger's, then a reduced sentence or a sentence carried out in a mental institution might be warranted. However, I don't believe that everyone with Asperger's should automatically get a free pass. Autism doesn't entitle you to do whatever the hell you want with no regard for the consequences or the law of the country.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 7:57 pm

this girl said she shouldn't go to prision for running over a senty year old man cause he was old

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 7:58 pm

Being aspie doesn't meant its ok to break the law, its a very poor excuse
to use, " well I am aspie and deserve preferential treatment".

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 8:02 pm

I don't think anyone should be sent to prison.

Topcat16
Raven
Raven

21 Mar 2010, 8:05 pm

i;m not saying aspies shouldn;t be punished, just saying there are alternatives to jail, like fines, parole officers all kinds of things. also if jail, we;re surely not saying prisoners don;t deserve mental care on the premise of a few serial killers

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 8:05 pm

A mental health one, yeah (which is actually how it is if someone has a label). People with an ASD wouldn't and don't go well in normal prisons, just like other people with mental disorders (psychopaths don't go well in normal prisons either, for example).

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 8:10 pm

Absolutely. Anyone who breaks the law should go to jail (depending on the severity of the crime).

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 8:19 pm

If you do the crime, you should pay the time.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 8:19 pm

If they commited a crime, yes. Both sides of the story should be throughly investigated though. I will not hesitate to beat the piss out of someone if they attempt to harm me or if someone touches me I freak out and lash out at them to make them let go. Those could be interpreted as assult so they should hear my side of the story too. Now if I went and beat the piss out of someone just becuase I felt like it, I should be in jail. But sadly today criminals have more rights than victims so I don't know what would be done.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 8:46 pm

Why should we have different treatment? We will mind as will build a different system for people who have mental retardation, bipolar, schizophrenia, AD/HD, learning difficulties, anger problems, etc.

As my shrink said when I was 17, if you can't be held responsible for your actions, you shouldn't live in the real world. If you want to be in the real world, you have to be held responsible for your actions.

AlienVisitor
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Mar 2010, 9:03 pm

"Prisons: A Social Crime and Failure", by Emma Goldman
http://dwardmac.pitzer.edu/anarchist_ar ... isons.html

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 10:09 pm

I think the whole system needs reform; but that isn't specific to people with Asperger's. There's nothing about AS that impairs your ability to follow the law; so we ought to be treated the same as NTs. However, that doesn't mean I don't think that the jail/prison system doesn't need some changes. It doesn't work very well now. I don't know what might improve it; I suppose it would be a matter of doing a lot of research, trying some things on small scales, and seeing what worked better than what we have now.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

21 Mar 2010, 10:20 pm

Moog wrote:
I don't think anyone should be sent to prison.

Yeah, lets just shoot the criminals. That way people wont be wasting their taxes on them. :twisted:
*sarcasm*

All joking aside, people with AS follow the same law as the rest of the population. We don't have cognitive impairments and know right from wrong when it comes to what's legal and what isn't. We should get the same punishment as anyone else, whether that's being sent to prison or for lesser crimes, community service and fines.

Prison may not be a very successful method of rehabilitation but that doesn't mean that those with AS should be excused from it.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 10:35 pm

If they break the law they should only be sent to prison if they are caught and do not decide to kill cops until they are killed if caught, because it would be pretty pointless to send a dead aspie to prison.

If the law you broke is a stupid law then you want me on your jury. 8)

AGMorehouse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Mar 2010, 11:33 pm

Yes they should go to prison. Some (not ALL) definately have personality problems, and I think that if they break the law, they shouldn't get different treatment, so yes, if they break the law, they should go to jail.

you will jouney from boy to man