Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

cacahuate
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Mar 2006, 1:28 pm

I spent the day yesterday going through my son's report cards, looking for clues (I should have seen LONG AGO!)

Thought you all might recognize him...

“He needs to try to hold his pencil correctly so that he can form his manuscript and cursive letters carefully and neatly. He needs to develop more self-control and get along with his peers. He also needs to improve his organization skills and time on task.”

Areas for improvement:
o Listens attentively
o Produces neat/careful work
o Follows directions

“P.E.: Disruptive behavior.”

“His reading comprehension scores were a bit inconsistent. He needs to stay focused, read carefully, and reread to clarify meaning… He earned an 84% average on weekly spelling list and dictation tests, he needs to apply these spelling patterns to all of his written work...”

“He needs to work on developing self-control and improving listening and organization skills.”

“P.E. He continues to be disruptive. He does not listen or follow directions.”

“He’s academic performance is affected by poor work habits. He needs to be an active listener during all lessons, follow directions, and complete his work quietly and carefully.”

“He loves to read for pleasure and demonstrates excellent oral reading and comprehension skills. Often times when answering written comprehension questions, he does not take the time to answer in complete sentences or he does not answer questions completely.”

”He has difficulty staying on task to do written work because he wants to pleasure read instead.”

“He needs to listen attentively, follow directions, and complete work carefully in a timely manner.”

“In his (writing) prompt, he addressed only parts of the task… with limited facts or detail.”

“An area of focus must continue to be his effort and responsibility for learning.”

Areas for improvement:
o Completes and returns homework on time.
o Completes assignments neatly and carefully.

"Cursive is mandatory."

“Good examples, depth of thought. However, you write in bullets…”

"Incomplete assignments…"

"Missing assignments…"

I envy all you parents who had an early dx! My son has struggled for 9 YEARS in school because we didn't know...

Karen

pzrn
Raven
Raven

23 Mar 2006, 3:30 pm

All too well.

His psychologist wrote a letter to the school for his IEP including an extra set of school books for home as he couldn't manage to get organized enough to bring the correct books home for homework so he had many missing assignments; the teacher was to write down for me what assignments were due and when; a locker to himself away from the high traffic areas-too much stimulation; excused from writing cursive-all of his work was to be accepted printed; preferred seating in the classrooms near the teacher and away from as much distraction as possible; etc...

Even with all of these conditions being accepted, we still had to end up taking him out and home schooling him. Too much teasing and bullying as before, and he was still miserable until we pulled him out.

I felt badly that I left him in there as long as I did, but he wasn't diagnosed until 10 years old.

I hope that you have better luck with the system.

cacahuate
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Mar 2006, 6:17 pm

We pulled our son out and homeschooled him for a year. Then he qualified for our district's gifted program and had the opportunity to attend a "magnet" school and be placed in an all gifted classroom. He decided to give it a try.

Socially, his life is much better now. I remember the first birthday party he had after he started there. He invited about eight of his classmates over to our house for a poker party, and they all came! As my husband and I sat around the table teaching these kids how to play, we looked at each other and without words said, "WOW! He's found his species!"

He is well-liked by most of his classmates, though he still struggles with the "general poplulation" at his school. But I think that knowing he fits in somewhere has helped immensely.

The challenge, now, is being able to function organizationally at the level that is expected of him. He's flunking out of the program because he can't keep track of his work, turn in his assignments, write legibly and in complete sentences... etc. etc.

Seems there's always a hurdle, isn't there?

I wish you much luck with your homeschooling. Sometimes, when the sun is shining and the hills are in bloom, I miss the excuse to take a science field trip in search of interesting insects...

Karen

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Mar 2006, 6:28 pm

Reading the report cards I said yes, that was me as a little kid.

Karen, your second post made my day - an AS success story! He's found his species. :)

ster
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2006, 11:19 pm

the comments sound all too familiar...btw, my son wasn't diagnosed until this past year at the age of 13. we, too, asked for accomodations but were denied many~and the ones that they did concede to, they carried through very half-heartedly....had one teacher say that she didn't believe that my son had any problems, and there was no reason for her to make ANY accomodations........that was the beginning of my quest to get my son out of that school. happy to say he's doing well in the private therapeutic school he's in now.

blondie65
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Apr 2006, 9:48 am

yep..thats my sons report card..even in an inclusion class, its always the same..btw, he's an excellent speller , never stays on task, doesnt present neat work..and has a hard time with organizational skills..and wow..that one with 8 kids at a bday party...I could only hope and pray that daniel could have such a good time and find his species... 8O

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2006, 12:31 pm

Sounds like my report card in Middle and High School

The teacher would always complain about the way I would hold my writing instrument.

I also wonder why is cursive required? I used it sparingly in High school and now only use it to sign my name. I found that since I memorize better by hearing what is being said in class, I would simply write down simple sentences in print to jog my memory in my notes and simply listen to the teacher.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate