Do you flaunt or keep to yoursel?
I'm a flaunter 28%  28%  [ 7 ]
I keep it to myself 72%  72%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 25

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 2:56 pm

I know some people love waving what they've got out there for all to see, and getting well known. Although I secretly like to, I'm way to awkward and embarassed to do so, not to mention don't really think what I can do is that great, even though some people seem to think so. XD

Which are you?

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 3:05 pm

No-

I used to like people assuming I'm stupid in real life and taking them apart in conversation in front of their colleagues . There is a certain look on their face when you do this. I used to go out headhunting arrogant Uni professors etc. in my decorating clothes.

Don't do this anymore. There's no merit in it and you don't feel any better about yourself.

Also found most Uni staff are really nice and only want to discuss stuff with you, they talk posh and clever because its how they were brought up.

Aggro-rant me.

Last edited by memesplice on 23 Mar 2010, 3:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 3:08 pm

No. I don't want to look arrogant or come off as thinking I am better than everyone. I don't like those people so I make sure I don't do it myself.

Marsian
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Mar 2010, 3:12 pm

I daren't because I know that my dumbness will undo me at some point...

I'm great with computers and stuff but struggle with common sense and everyday tasks in a kinda ret*d way which could be embarrassing, especially if I went around telling everyone how great I was beforehand!

hehe :colors:

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 3:54 pm

If I'm asked about my skills then I don't mind "showing them off" so to speak. I don't try to shove my skills in people's faces, but I will tell you about them if asked. And I like discussing my skills; it makes me feel good about myself. :)

Etular
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Mar 2010, 4:53 pm

I'm exceptionally arrogant and boastful to friends, but not to those i do not know.

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 5:03 pm

I'm a bit like the author at a party who, after going on at length about his latest book, says "Enough about me, what did YOU think of my book?"

I leap at any chance to point out stuff that I've done, but I think this comes out of insecurity. I have an insatiable desire to be patted on the head and told I'm accepted.

I try not to do it too often, but sometimes I catch myself tooting my own horn a bit too much.

Lars

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 5:04 pm

Spazzergasm wrote:
I know some people love waving what they've got out there for all to see, and getting well known. Although I secretly like to, I'm way to awkward and embarassed to do so, not to mention don't really think what I can do is that great, even though some people seem to think so. XD

Which are you?

If I'm good at something I don't mind saying so, or if I know a subject well, its sometimes difficult for me not to take over the conversation and lecture a bit. However, like you, I don't actually rate my skills as highly as the people around me usually do, because I also know my limitations. I feel like if I start bragging about something, I'm just asking for someone to throw me a challenge I can't meet and make me look the fool. :oops: I'm good, but I'm not that good.

Expert on several things, master of none. :roll:

Marsian
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Mar 2010, 5:06 pm

that's how i feel, you're just better at saying it than i am :D

ASgirl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Mar 2010, 5:28 pm

no, as i don't even know what skills i have that are worth bragging. there are certain things that i like and think that i am good at. but no doubt there are many people out there who are even better at them than me. i also don't understand the purpose of bragging, is it to make people think more highly of you and in turn boost one's self confidence? i think it's ok to be self aware and be proud of our skills/achievements, but deliberate bragging seems a bit pointless.

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 5:36 pm

I only like to talk about my "skillz" here, where there are others like me. Otherwise I feel like I'm being an ass when I can read a sign at 500 meters that nobody else can or complain about the loud electronic noice (the high-pitched one) that frikkin' NOBODY else can hear in the department store.

When I mention things about the heightened senses here, though, I usually get people who can relate rather than see me as a 'braggart' which is very, very nice. Some even have additional insights and advice that help me overcome some common "sensorially overwhelming" situations.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 6:00 pm

I don't like to brag to anybody. I don't want to come across as arrogant. I like to have people discover what skills, I have for themselves.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 6:03 pm

Nope. No one's interested. And I can never really put my finger on what I'm good at. Sometimes I try and share little skills, but that's not showing off.

Brennan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Mar 2010, 6:13 pm

Not really, cause there is always someone out there who is better than me.

gassy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Mar 2010, 6:19 pm

ASgirl wrote:
no, as i don't even know what skills i have that are worth bragging. there are certain things that i like and think that i am good at. but no doubt there are many people out there who are even better at them than me.

im sort of the same, everything is relative and as i dont know how skillful everybody is (never mind how to measure it) compared to me, there is no point in my opinion. also i find it very difficult to judge what are my strengths and weaknesses, as not only do i partly compare myself to others, but also some people say im analytical and know a lot about football but im not sure if i have "bigger" strengths.

also you might be able to guess that im not even sure if i brag more or less than other people, or even whether i like it more or less in comparison to other people

so in answer to the original question i dont know!

saying that one of my housemates seems to be more competitive than other people i know, which can create banter within my house

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 6:54 pm

I'll gladly show my work or go into detail on my process but I don't do it to brag. It's largely about seeking constructive criticism to improve my work.

So my answer is: I don't flaunt, nor do I keep it to myself. I present and take note of responses.