Would you consider attending a school/college reunion?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Would you consider attending a school/college reunion?
I would consider it 23%  23%  [ 9 ]
I don't think so 65%  65%  [ 26 ]
I'm not sure 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 40

AppleCat
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2010, 3:17 am

I will start with myself.

I probably wouldn't want to attend a reunion of people at my school because, for most of them, I feel nothing. There were some who thought it was funny to tease me, and I used to really hate them for it, but instead of hate there is now nothing there. I might keep in touch with some of my friends, even though we are not "close" friends, but the chances of me actually wanting to attend a reunion in some years are pretty much next to nothing. However, I'm sure that your own personal experiences have a significant part in influencing such a decision.

What are your thoughts please?

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2010, 3:40 am

no

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2010, 7:24 am

I have been to 3 reunions of my high school year, but only one reunion was mildly formal (an evening at a nearby sports club), the other two were more like picnics. They were all OK.

I did notice that I got along better with some people that I hardly knew at school (mostly females) and felt quite distant from some of the people who had been my friends (mostly males).

I don't think my Australian high school was as socially competitive or sophisticated as an American high school. I think my high school provided a fairly protected environment - more academic pressure, less social pressure. So maybe I would feel differently if I lived in the US. Still, I was depressed most of the time I was at high school, and not really depressed at the time of the reunions. So the reunions were probably a better experience than being at school. Also, I was engaged or married by the time of my high school reunions. At high school I was desperately single and feeling my social/romantic incompetence rather keenly: intellectually I was at the top of the class; socially and emotionally I was a "late bloomer" (practically "emotionally ret*d"), as well as anxious and depressed. Back then, unless you had to be put in a hospital or institution, you were left to sink or swim. No syndromes, no diagnoses, no intervention - nothing.

I was never bullied at school, and didn't feel that different to the other nerdy students (my year was one of the more nerdy and better behaved years at my school), but I did feel that my world was growing up too quickly and I definitely wasn't ready for it.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Mar 2010, 8:14 am

Only if we put the bullies in the middle and lob watermelons at them. :D

skybluepink
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2010, 10:07 am

I don't think I could bear the idea. Either I'd be trying to pretend to like them (which I did
quite enough of when I was actually attending school) or I might start telling someone
exactly what I thought of them. I'm sure people only go to these things to show off
how successful they are. I had nothing in common with anyone at school or college.

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

26 Mar 2010, 10:20 am

My 10 year high school reunion took place last year. I did not attend. Aside from not remembering most of the people with whom I graduated, those I do remember hold no interest for me. I am in touch with only a handful of people from "those days" and it was them who sought out me (via facebook, etc). I did not enjoy spending time with them then, now would be worse.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2010, 12:06 pm

Since I now live hundreds of miles from where I graduated, I've missed every reunion my class has had so far. But recently, I have encountered many of my old classmates through FaceBook, and seeing how they ooh and aah and fawn over running into me and then immediately ignore me to carry on endless shallow conversations with their NT clique friends, I'm glad I didn't bother going to any of the reunions. Its just like High School all over again. I'm as invisible at 50 as I was at 18. Some things never change. :roll:

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2010, 12:38 pm

Depends. If this is like 20 years in the future and I've done very well for myself, I'll turn up in a Lamborghini and laugh in the face of people who made fun of me :lol:

I do seriously intend on getting rich though, so I might actually do that :D

FredOak3
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Mar 2010, 12:44 pm

I attended one once and it was a farce. As Willard mentioned, the NT clique structure didn't change one bit and those that I would have thought would remember me as I had more interaction with them in school had no clue who I was.
It left me depressed and confused, this was before any AS diagnosis so it just added more questions to my ever growing "what is up with me" mantra back then.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2010, 10:22 pm

While I'd probably be interested in what my classmates have been up to since graduation, I'm not sure if I'd go or not. I guess it depends on how I feel once the time comes.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2010, 12:22 pm

Claradoon wrote:
Only if we put the bullies in the middle and lob watermelons at them. :D

I wholeheartedly agree with this. :D

I wouldn't go even if I got paid for it, I never went to prom either. Had better and more meaningful things to do.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2010, 4:39 pm

I wouldn't go to any reunions. I have better things to do, and besides, I don't need any unpleasant memories.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2010, 10:49 pm

My thoughts on a reunion - NO, I feel absolutely no connection with those people. I do have a NT friend who goes when ever they have them and then he tells me all the latest news. I only pretend to listen so I don't hurt his feelings. He is a good person and I do care about him. But that's how I feel about reunions. :shrug:

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 12:14 am

I'm probably one of the few here who would like to go to my high-school reunion, especially with the class of 2009, because I was pretty well known by my class and I have fond memories of almost everyone, especially the theatre troupe. Course, there are a few people I'd rather avoid, but I won't let them ruin it. It would also be fun to see how many people remember me... I think the term 'ninja' would jar quite a few memories, haha.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 7:30 am

The point for college/high school reunions is to show off how big you've become in the world.

If you want to stay in touch with people you went to school with, you don't need reunions for that....unless you are exceptionally social and just like that sort of thing.

Daniella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2010, 9:57 am

I would consider it.