Page 1 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Arch101
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2010, 12:17 pm

Becoming a NASCAR fan has helped. There's so much racing programming on during an average weekend that it keeps me occupied. Also, since I am currently between marriages, the high point of my week is quality time with my deck, usually on weekend evenings, which includes whatever I am currently reading, a really good cigar, and a glass of single malt scotch. Before I know it, it's Monday again.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2010, 1:36 am

Weekends?

An arbitrary concept but for me they fall on days off regardless of what calendar day they are on. This is because I have worked loads of anti social jobs.
Sunday mornings it is off to the farmers market for loads of fresh and cheap vegetables.
That is the only uniquely 'weekend' thing unless there is a nice low key music event on [string quartet, acoustic performance..]
I read a lot, that is my main pleasure/obsession...

peace j

lucy1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2010, 3:08 am

Whereabouts is the farmers market?

I read, garden watch tele and go for walks. Sometimes I work.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2010, 3:54 am

lucy1 wrote:
Whereabouts is the farmers market?

I read, garden watch tele and go for walks. Sometimes I work.

Where the farmers market is depends where you are...

I am in Wellington, New Zealand and it is on the corner of Victoria and Vivian streets with a more general/farmers market down beside Te Papa later in the morning

Black2basics
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Apr 2010, 10:58 am

i generally do everything i shouldn't in order to alleviate boredom and loneliness then spend the majority of the week regretting it all

lucy1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2010, 5:34 pm

RedHanrahan wrote:

Where the farmers market is depends where you are...

I am in Wellington, New Zealand and it is on the corner of Victoria and Vivian streets with a more general/farmers market down beside Te Papa later in the morning

oh... I am in ChCh.

I guess I will have to make more effort to find out.
Happy Easter. 8)

Nostromos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Apr 2010, 2:18 am

I go hiking, worry a lot about working, fart around online, obsess about whether the totalitarian new world order is just my paranoid fantasy, maybe get some work done, read a little, have a few drinks, and maybe watch a movie or two. I'm more diligent than I used to be, though.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 3:03 am

I use to get drunk, now I don't know what to do with myself.

It was my only way to develop social skills hence companionship on a lonely saturday.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 9:22 am

I never try to make the time pass, because I want the weekend to last forever.

The weekend is the only time I have for food shopping, so I usually do that.

After that I like a mixture of social stuff and space to get on with my own projects. There's not a lot of social stuff for me right now at weekends, my son might visit and there might be a music club I can go to, otherwise I'm on my own. Main project at the moment is copying my huge collection of audio cassettes of my own music into the computer and organising them into proper chronological order......so I'm currently trawling through my old (paper) diaries to find out when I recorded some of the the stuff. It sounds very tedious, and I suppose it is, but it's also fascinating because it's like taking a long journey through my own past and recalling lots of events that I'd almost forgotten. Eventually I'm hoping to make a document that summarises everything neatly.

I usually rehearse a few songs with my guitar so I'm ready to perform them during the week when the music clubs are more active.

I don't really see the weekends as being all that different to the rest of the week, except that I've got a bit more freedom.

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

10 Apr 2010, 3:18 pm

I seek seclusion, whereever I may find it. Most of my weekends are spent in my room. I share my house with family, but I am so overtaxed from interacting with people during the work week that my only desire is to isolate myself.

When in my room I read, surf online, watch tv or movies or just sleep (a complete lack of accomplishment, I know, but I need to detox from social interaction).

At times I do venture out, often to hike in the rain forests or along the beach, or simply drive aimlessly. I don't mind being around other people as long as I know there is no social obligation to actually interact with anyone.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

Element333
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2010, 9:15 am

Weekends aren't necessarily fun for married people, either, especially for older married folks. My husband and I might go fishing on some weekends, if the weather's nice, but most of the time we spend at home. He watches various sports on TV, depending the season, and we've gone to a couple of baseball and NFL games together. I love football, but baseball is kind of boring. As for me, I usually spend saturdays in the garden with vegetables and flowers, or else I work on my art projects and photography. If I had more money, I'd spend more time on 35mm or high-res digital photography (it's an expensive hobby, unfortunately, due to travel expenses, equipment & film development). My latest project will involve me having to go up in a hot air balloon and taking photos of a golf course in my area, but I'm still trying to work up the nerve. I'm deathly afraid of heights, lol. But, it must be done.

E333

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 7:09 pm

I listen to my music and post on WP. I jam in the music room, playing the drums for a half an hour on Sundays, and I go grocery shopping on Saturday.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 7:32 pm

I am usually on the computer, but I also exercise, do yardwork, and spend time with my family.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 3:34 am

pwn no0bs

hautshot
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Jun 2010, 8:14 pm

I have given up on social interaction. I learned about AS May 2010. I am a 50 year female with no children. Before I found out about my condition I would make attempts to be with other people. I would join internet “meet up” groups for social interaction. I tried to have some friends. I tried to have boyfriends.

Now I am alone, no family, no friends. I accept my condition and accept that I don’t have to socialize anymore. I can just be myself. I have two cats and I really enjoy spending time with them.

I have a job and interact over the phone which I can tolerate. Most people at work are working in their cubicles and do very little social interaction.

I have been wondering how people with AS who are alone most of the time have fun or enjoyable times. For me, I am so looking forward to the summer. I bought an inflatable small pool for the back yard. I like water and I need to be outside in the sun for at least a few days.

I also bought a floating water chair so I can go to the lake and float around. I wish I had someone to do these activities with, but now I know I don’t have to force it. I’ll just back my little picnic and go to the lake by myself.

Now that I know I have AS, and I need to recover from social interactions (which are not that successful anyway), I have cancelled my “Meet up” subscriptions. No point in subscribing if I rarely go.

Peace

edcop100
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2010, 9:57 pm

jagatai wrote:
In a sense, having fun can be hard work. You have to set yourself a goal. Sometimes you have to do some work in advance such as writing a list of things you might like to do. It is important to get yourself into situations where you are likely to be interested and engaged in some activity.

Could not agree with this more. Provided that I have the luxury of leisure time, I always try to fit one fun thing or another on a Saturday. It makes me feel as if I did something that weekend and gives me something to talk about with NTs during the week. Concerts are great; they fulfill my need to be around people yet I do not feel awkward at a concert like I do at a party since the goal of the concert is to enjoy the music not to socialize. Make sure you like the music played at the concert first though so you can escape into it. Paintball is alot of fun too.

Sunday is a day of rest. Again, provided that I am not crazily busy, I make it a priority to be as minimally "productive" as possible. I read any fantasy/fiction books I feel like. I also usually go to church services as it allows me to be around people without having to interact with them.