Is there a sci-fi writers forum for AS related work?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2010, 9:44 am

I'm being driven barmy with a whole set of ideas I want to clarify and put into coherent order. I think what I would like to do is to write them out as science fiction ( without getting obsessed by it) just to put order to them. I would like the main character to be an teenage AS with an extreme IQ. I want to write the whole thing from an AS point of view. I find writing relaxing.

Is there a writers forum where I could post this kind of work, or could I post it here? I don't like shoving work in peoples faces, and I can't figure out if that's what I would be doing if posting here.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2010, 12:39 pm

I have the same desires too. I don't know if there's a forum, but I would say work on it by yourself for a while, without input, until YOU really like it. Because if you like it, then chances are others will too. Then you can go ahead and submit it to all the scifi zines out there...

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2010, 2:05 pm

OK , Just out of interest, have you started writing your story yet?

What is the main theme ? Characters?

I'm interested, because I think there are probably quite a few writers here who would like to do this without it becoming a major obsession , but a rather a relaxing way to express some SI stuff.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2010, 4:04 pm

I've started writing many stories over the years and then not been able to finish (I just have a very short attention span). They are usually about people living in strange worlds--underground, another planet, or some other weird environment. I've also thought about writing a book where the main character has AS, and how she sees the world differently; I thought it would be a good way to deal with the problems I have in my life. (But that's not really a Scifi story)
What I usually do is write down an idea whenever I have one. So I have a huge collection of notes, but not a lot of finished work. But you might fare better if you have slightly more discipline than me. :wink:

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2010, 4:22 pm

I go around a clock face of SI . It's bucketing it down tomorrow in UK hence will have to utilize time to make some cash. Will have to produce some new artwork for my wife to sell. Have found my SI is a weird complex of totally inter related things. But I only do one of them at a time and move on the the next aspect of it, having to wait to go back and finish previous.

Poetics links to art, art to websites, websites to computing, and the whole thing self integrates. I think writing sci-fi would kind of relax me and maybe its how some more brain connections could be formed and existing ones sustained.

My character would be a she as well.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 10:52 am

Let me know how your writing goes!

MrDiamondMind
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Location: Encapsulated within a skull; covered in sheets of skin

10 Apr 2010, 4:22 am

If you want to you could send it to me. I like sci-fi, and like the idea of an AS main character. Specify the kind of feedback you'd like me to give you.

Also, what is SI.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2010, 5:21 pm

I know there's some interest out there. For example, there's a web site devoted to an alternative-history book series set in 1623-4 (so far). People submit story ideas, etc., and someone there could probably point out some promising sites.

I know there's fanfic sites out there devoted to all sorts of things (like valuable lessons on how not to write...;) They may have ideas.

I belong to a site called Renderosity, which does 3d art, but does have a writer's forum. That's another place
to start. Brass Goggles ( a steampunk forum) has a 'Textural' forum for writers, to the point of even explaining
things like 'Publish on Demand', etc.

There's probably thousands of places. Maybe Google 'writing science fiction', and see what turns up.