If you found out your parent was a killer

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bully_on_speed
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 3:10 pm

it all depends on the circumstances. if the murder was committed in an act of prevention, i.e. killing someone in defense of another. i am cool with that. or murder in acts of revenge, eye for an eye type. im ok with.

Valmont
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Mar 2010, 3:17 pm

bully_on_speed wrote:
it all depends on the circumstances. if the murder was committed in an act of prevention, i.e. killing someone in defense of another. i am cool with that. or murder in acts of revenge, eye for an eye type. im ok with.

What if the murder was commited for food? Or because they thought you'd make a nice leather jacket?

8O

bully_on_speed
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 3:20 pm

it doesnt fall into either category i listed so that would be wrong.

not being able to provide food for yourself, falls under survival. if you cant survive on your own you dont.

and skinning people is just crazy, hence not justifiable

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 3:51 pm

Well I won't go into graphic detail but what we might consider murder today was not always seen in the same light back then, so many people probably come from a long line of ancestors who "murdered". I guess it would all depend on the definition as we know it today, if we were talking about murderers like Ed Gein, Issei Sagawa, Jeffrey Dahmer and the such for example.

Naturally in many cultures, scalping people or taking their heads or other parts as trophies from the many "enemies" they killed was seen as courageous and brave rather than what we know today as "sick".

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 4:06 pm

I would be shocked I'm adopted.

About parent-murderer:
Direct influences: Murder is not in genes. I wasn't brought up by him/her, so I can have only genetic influences, not social. I'd think if I have any disease risk from him/her. F.e. heart diseases or cancer. It is more important.
Indirect: People ofc! They can really hurt, not daddy-serial-killer! So I'd ask if anybody knows about it? If not, there's not risk. If everybody knows except me... oh f**k! So maybe I'm not autistic, but people avoid me!

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 4:09 pm

"Holy moly"

*facepalm*

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 4:22 pm

Rose_in_Winter wrote:
I'd be horrified and worried I, too, might turn out to be a psychopath.

Same here. I'd probably arrange an elaborate suicide for myself choreographed to this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQsgE0L450[/youtube]

CobaltBlew
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2010, 7:15 am

I'd tell them to stop killing.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2010, 9:25 am

I recently read an article in a magazine (can't remember which one, sorry) written by Charles Manson's son about how he had to confront just exactly this issue.

He did not find out he was Charle's Manson's son until he was in his 30's. That was when he went looking for his biological mother and he found her. She used to be one of Manson's groupies although she was not one of the women who took part in the killing spree (or she would be in jail). When he was born (Manson by then having been arrested) she didn't identify who the father was. This man only found out because he tracked her down personally and asked. His mom's reaction upon seeing her son? "Oh wow! You look just like him!! !". And in the author photo he does look somewhat like him but less wild-eyed. Imagine Manson without that intense stare and that's how this man looked in the photo.

His reaction to finding out who his biological father was? He writes that it was a sick, sinking feeling "Ohmigod I have no free will". He felt that because all his life he had fancied himself as a rebel. He liked living out in the boonies where he could do his own thing and take lots of drugs. He tried to be a rock star but didn't have the talent. He attracted wild, fringe women to himself and liked that too. He fancied himself a wild rebel outlaw (although the only laws he broke were drug possession laws) who surrounded himself with like-minded people and didn't cave to The Man because he made his own rules. In short he was just like his dad minus the murder. Everything that he thought was his own rebellious choice turned out to be the same things as his dad- minus the murder- and this revelation made him feel like he had discovered he was following a genetic program he'd inherited from his dad and he'd made no choices at all, just followed his genetics and this made him feel sick.

So he did some soul searching and came to the conclusion that although he clearly had inherited tendencies from his dad, he really did have free will and he wasn't destined or doomed to play out the worst parts of his father's life just because he had the same taste in women and the same rebel feelings. Thus the article.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2010, 1:32 pm

I'd be scared, freaked out, & immensely ashamed. Also incredibly grateful that the criminal was not the person that raised me.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2010, 3:55 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
...so many people probably come from a long line of ancestors who "murdered".

I like genealogy and was impressed by the number of my ancestors who were on one side or the other of a murderous situation. I think many people would find this to be the case in their family trees. It's fascinating and makes me glad I'm not in that situation.

They say my mom is the product of rape. Her dad didn't claim her and her mother abandoned her on a road. She was picked up and raised by her mother's ex-husband. She found out years later and it really saddened her. I have tried to imagine what it'd be like, but I don't think I really have any idea.

Regarding my parents, I wouldn't be surprised if my dad took someone out, but then that would belong in the family scandal thread.

Last edited by happymusic on 31 Mar 2010, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2010, 4:05 pm

The idea of a biological parent being a killer would make for an interesting psychological thriller.

Valmont
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Apr 2010, 11:02 am

bully_on_speed wrote:
it doesnt fall into either category i listed so that would be wrong.

not being able to provide food for yourself, falls under survival. if you cant survive on your own you dont.

and skinning people is just crazy, hence not justifiable

That wasn't aimed at you BTW, I was making a point about the killing of animals for food and clothing.. Is it really any different? Or do our human instincts just color it that way?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 12:27 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
There is no rightful killing, because it usually involves the murder of a person, with a disability.

Killing in war, as a part combat, is legal and not wrongful.

ruveyn