Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

RichardP
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Mar 2010, 10:51 pm

I've come to realize that a major problem in my life is my inability to see things at work and home from anyone's point of view than my own. I really don't know or sometimes even care what others are thinking or concerned with. I feel trapped in this rigidly held position and don't know how to overcome it. I can't figure people out to save my life even when I want too. Others seem happy and contented. Others seem to get things done and cope with life. I can't either.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem and what have you done to successfully address it?

"The purpose of the physician is to entertain the patient whilst the disease runs its inevitable course." -Voltaire

Autism-Spectrum Quotient (AT) Test: 46

Broad Autism Phenotype Test: 132 aloof, 114 rigid, 99 pragmatic

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 12:30 pm

i know what you mean. i was completely mystified by "the problem of other minds" for the longest time.

i read all the time, trying to understand why people did the things they did. unfortunately, characters in novels mostly do things for plot-reasons rather than for their own.

what changed it for me was falling in love, which arrived as kind of a revelation of another personality. i don't know how it happened, but one day i found myself with a complete intuition of this other soul. i guess i had been listening with such rapt attention that i was able to integrate all the separate details into something that made sense finally.

this hasn't happened many times since. only in glimpses. but i know to take it on faith, because otherwise it's a night without stars.

m.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 1:07 pm

Years ago read a book about How To Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie which helped me understand a little about the idea of another's point-of-view. It helped me a little (not a cure).

- http://www.dalecarnegie.com/

---

“If there is any one secret of success, it lies in the ability to get the other person's point of view and see things from that person's angle as well as from your own.”

- Henry Ford

Free-Hinter-System
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Aug 2010, 5:13 pm

RichardP wrote:
I've come to realize that a major problem in my life is my inability to see things at work and home from anyone's point of view than my own. I really don't know or sometimes even care what others are thinking or concerned with. I feel trapped in this rigidly held position and don't know how to overcome it. I can't figure people out to save my life even when I want too. Others seem happy and contented. Others seem to get things done and cope with life. I can't either.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem and what have you done to successfully address it?

I feel completely out of control of my inability to see other perspectives, meaning that its not something I am optimistic about overcoming. Of course you could always take practical measures to make up for it slightly, which, coupled with a sort of ignorance of the problem, might at least lessen your concern =).