Researchers with autism or AS (not just research on autism)

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Have you done research ?
No 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Yes (Physical science research) 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Yes (Life science research: Neither autism or neuroscience) 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Yes (Life science research: Neuroscience) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes (Life science research: Autism or AS) 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Yes (Social science: not autism releated) 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Yes (Social science: autism related) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes (Humanities) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 4:56 am

Maybe this topic has been done to death already but I had a interesting thought this morning. How many of us have done research on a topic. I define research as an attempt to do original work on a topic with the sincere hope of expanding the understanding that the human race have of a topic.

For example reading a book to educate yourself is not research while attempting to document a new butterfly in place X is research.

If you have worked on more than one area then please select the area which you have made the bigger impact in.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 8:19 am

Yep. Done that. Toddled off to a university thinking Goodwill Hunting (minus the very big brain) . Had a very enthusiastic discussion with a Prof of something or other, never heard anything back. Probably nicked my ideas, brain picked the obvious innocent eyed Aspie, and thought doesn't matter , we can screw him over quietly.

Hope they did some good. Not responsible for anything if they didn't. Don't care really.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 8:38 am

I have assisted autism researchers, and am also part of a group that puts autistic people together with researchers, and has the research focused on areas of interest to autistic people. Right now I am working with others on a study of healthcare experiences of autistic people, disabled nonautistic people, and nondisabled nonautistic people.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 10:35 am

I have published more than 50 peer-reviewed scientific manuscripts.

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 11:15 am

I interned at a zoo and did research on the behavioral patterns of Golden Lion Tamarins. I was responsible for observation and data collection.

ASgirl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Apr 2010, 11:15 am

my research is in social science but would like to look into autism once i finished with the current degree.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 11:31 am

I think the happiest times of my life were when I was doing research projects in grad school. I LOVED that. I would have liked to have made a career of it - and was told I'd do well - but the money ran out. Oh, well. :roll:

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 11:43 am

Minor published author with another publication coming out this year. My field is not autism-related, it relates to my employment in a government agency. I do number crunching and not only analyse various types of public data, but also have developed one or two new methods for calculating particular indexes in social and economic statistics (sorry, cannot get more detailed than that).

Mosaicofminds
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Apr 2010, 2:54 pm

Quote:
am also part of a group that puts autistic people together with researchers, and has the research focused on areas of interest to autistic people.

anbuend, that sounds like a great group! What is it called, and does it have a website? It'd be great to know what you're working on. More research on autism should involve autistic people like this!

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 2:57 pm

Yeah Im kinda doing research in the nueroscience field but its not autism related. But I would like to do autism related research someday.