Sharing your achievements with others

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 1:19 pm

Do you feel a need to share with others your achievements? My question isn't about sharing with other people the details of your life in general but about those positive things which you just succeeded in, at which you are good. I just take for granted that if you have something (some achievement or a material thing you got) and others don't know about it, it's like you didn't have it :x For example when I have just posted a fanfic, I never fail to inform other fanfic writers from the same fandoms about this to wallow in their praises :D :twisted:

On the other hand, if I just tried something but failed, I don't mention it to others because that's nothing to boast of :?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 1:25 pm

No, I'm utterly indifferent to praise, and to a certain extent, criticism. I don't share my success. I do things for myself, I have no one to share with. Most people don't understand my achievements anyway. My achievements are not recognized as such by usual people.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 2:02 pm

I like to share my achievements, but I don't do it, for praise. I like to share my achievements, in order to teach the less educated people in society, who have skewed ideas about autism, and help them to become more educated. I do it, to show them, that Autism Speaks should be taken, with a grain of salt.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 2:58 pm

Moog wrote:
No, I'm utterly indifferent to praise, and to a certain extent, criticism. I don't share my success. I do things for myself...

Same here. I'm bored by those who like to boast and have contempt for those who suddenly think highly of someone they didn't like after finding out about their successes. It's trivial and shallow.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 3:04 pm

Hmmm...no, I'm not a praise-seeker, that always seems like insincere NT BS to me. I always wonder "Yeah, you lyin' sack o'sh*t, what are you really thinking?" :evil:

But I usually feel I'm both a better judge of what's turned out well and a more honest critic of what hasn't. I set my own standards pretty high, so I don't need some effusive third party to tell me how good I am. I know my limitations and I also know what I'm aspiring to and whether I've even come close to that mark.

On the other hand, I do like seeing someone genuinely enjoy something I've done or created. Especially if they are unaware that I'm observing them, 'cause then I can feel that their approval is authentic. I don't do it to hear how great it is, but if it gives someone real pleasure, that makes me feel good.

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 3:45 pm

My achievements are mainly for myself, so I don't feel much need to share them with others. I do share them with my hubby, but I don't do that to get praise, but simply to share my joy with someone when I'm happy about something I achieved.

I don't like bragging (I find it annoying when others do it, so I don't do it myself) and I doubt the sincerity of praise gotten by fishing for it, so I don't specifically seek praise. If someone notices my achievement on their own and praises me for it, it means more to me than it would if they just did it out of politeness after I specifically told them about it.

Few people understand my achievements anyway, because they don't know or understand what I do, they have no sense of what is easy and what is hard for me or what means much to me and what doesn't, so they tend to praise me for things that don't matter to me and that I myself don't really consider achievements, while not noticing or understanding things that I feel are more important achievements.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 4:42 pm

It depends on the overall merit of the achievement. If I have achieved something huge, then of course I'm going to feel compelled to share it with a bunch of people because I, for one, thrive on praise. :)

If I have achieved something minor such as straight As and Bs on my report card, then I'll share it with my parents but not with anyone else because I feel it's not that big a deal to share with the whole world.

ASgirl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Apr 2010, 4:45 pm

i am only interested in sharing achievements with my mother and 1-2 people who are very close to me. not so much as wanting to tell them about what i have achieved but to share my happiness in managing to succeed in those things. i don't believe that many people, except those closest to me, will genuinely be happy and pleased for me. so i don't see the point in bragging. also, the specific achievements themselves aren't normally what make me feel proud of myself but the process and journey of getting there. sometimes, the achievement itself may not be all that significant in relative or absolute terms but if lots of hard work and effort and peseverence were involved, then i'd like to share that with people i love and who love me back.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 5:02 pm

What I have noted in some people on the spectrum is a really lovely sharing of successes with others - in an almost naive and childlike way. I have seen this often. I also experience it. Unfortunately, many perceive this as 'bragging" and do not understand the childlike fervour that can accompany some people on the spectrum in relation to their achievements, their interests and their passions. I have no problem with people mentioning their successes and deriving joy from these. I see it as wonderful and amazing, especially when those successes are hard fought for and hard won, in a world where the odds and societal structures are pitted against many on the spectrum.

as for seeking praise.....what is so darn "wrong" with that anyway? What is wrong with someone wanting or requiring praise? Some of the posts on this thread seem to treat it as if it is a kind of blight or flaw. My autistic nephew frequently displays this need and want and derives incredible happiness when his mum does so. Goodness knows, he doesn't get it from the majority of people so when he does get it from those who adore him...it is a GRAND thing.

I CELEBRATE THE SUCCESSES OF PEOPLE AND IF THEY WANT PRAISE>>>>YIPPEEEEEEE!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 5:15 pm

I admit it, I love getting attention and praise for the things I do, no matter how minor of an accomplishment it is.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 5:24 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
I admit it, I love getting attention and praise for the things I do, no matter how minor of an accomplishment it is.

Good for you. :) :)

In my experience and view, this is perhaps one of the only ways we actually know how to connect successfully with a broader community, and that is why so many of us have tried to turn our special interests into careers. And if not careers - then finding ways to make valuable contributions in areas we are interested in. I think a lot of people on the spectrum actually enjoy being praised for their talents and their unusual skills. Surely it beats being devalued and dismissed or misunderstood, as if often the case for people on the spectrum.

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 5:29 pm

Here I sort of contradict a criterion of the DSM-IV-TR.
I do want to share achievements, because just like the OP I feel if I do not share it it never happened.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 5:58 pm

IdahoRose wrote:

I'm kind of like this but at the same time I feel pretty vulnerable when I do get praise.

When I first started playing music in pubs, it was a bit challenging for me. It wasn't because I was unnerved playing for a crowd. In fact, I never get stage fright, mostly because I'm really doing it for myself and to have a good time. It would be the times that people would come up to me during our break or at the end of the evening, telling me how awesome I sounded, how much they enjoyed it, etc. While I loved to know that people enjoy or appreciate what I am doing, I have generally found it difficult to receive direct praise for it... at least in person. At first, I would somewhat ungracious accept the praise, then I would go find a stairwell or something and keep playing music by myself until the break ended. I've gotten better about this, partly because I've learned what to say. I still try to avoid the situations, though.

It's one of the reason I like playing for dances a lot. You often get a lot of positive feedback (in the form of whoops and hollers) but you don't necessarily have to deal with a lot of direct praise.

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 6:48 pm

ursaminor wrote:
Here I sort of contradict a criterion of the DSM-IV-TR.
I do want to share achievements, because just like the OP I feel if I do not share it it never happened.

I'm the same way. It tends to get perceived as bragging, though, and I am not good at presenting it in a way that isn't perceived that way :roll:

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

millie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 6:59 pm

fiddlerpianist wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:

I'm kind of like this but at the same time I feel pretty vulnerable when I do get praise.

When I first started playing music in pubs, it was a bit challenging for me. It wasn't because I was unnerved playing for a crowd. In fact, I never get stage fright, mostly because I'm really doing it for myself and to have a good time. It would be the times that people would come up to me during our break or at the end of the evening, telling me how awesome I sounded, how much they enjoyed it, etc. While I loved to know that people enjoy or appreciate what I am doing, I have generally found it difficult to receive direct praise for it... at least in person. At first, I would somewhat ungracious accept the praise, then I would go find a stairwell or something and keep playing music by myself until the break ended. I've gotten better about this, partly because I've learned what to say. I still try to avoid the situations, though.

It's one of the reason I like playing for dances a lot. You often get a lot of positive feedback (in the form of whoops and hollers) but you don't necessarily have to deal with a lot of direct praise.

The vulnerability may be due to the emotional/sensory intensity.
For example, when I won some art prizes, I enjoyed receiving emails and praise for the work in that written form. I did not however, bother going to the awards ceremonies because I do not enjoy the intensity of face to face contact and the direct and verbal praise. I still enjoy successes and praise. And there is a distinction here. When my work is on exhibition, I am frequently not at the openings. I am renowned for not turning up. But I still enjoy the praise that people give me in written form or by way of phone or email or note etc. I like the fact people can respect and respond to what I do. I like that very much.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 9:11 pm

I really don't like sharing achievements. I do like sharing major achievements with two close friends, and I will share an achievement with someone if I'm giving advice and I think it would help encourage them (say they're asking about academics, I may share my achievements in that area). People always ask how school is going, and I just say "it's fine." My parents prompt me until I tell the asker that I made a high GPA and was invited into the honor society...I'm like, I didn't want to brag about all that stuff :roll: