Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 1:58 am

Anyone watch GITS:SAC? Its a pretty good sci-fi/political thriller anime.

Anyways, I was watching an episode today in Anime Club where Togusa is put on trial for shooting a guy with a prosthetic body (he was trying to protect the woman that the guy was trying to kill, but you know how justice gets twisted in these situations.) Anyways, Kusanagi offers to give Togusa assistance in his statement via an encrypted channel, but Togusa does not even acknowledge her. Later Kusanagi and Chief Arimaki are talking and Kusanagi says (most likely joking) that Togusa was in "autistic mode" at the time.

I actually thought it was kind of funny that Kusanagi would use that terminology. I've never actually heard them use the term before, but I wonder if it might have not have been a joke but actually a term referring to a person communicating by conventional means (without the aid of a cyberbrain uplink.)

Anyone else know anything about this?

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

asdsa
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Apr 2010, 2:24 am

i actually haven't seen gits:sc, but i have read the manga and watched the two movies

I really liked it. The story was good and it was very intelligent

yeah..i really need to join an anime club of sorts

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 4:35 am

Roxas_XIII wrote:

Anyways, I was watching an episode today in Anime Club where Togusa is put on trial for shooting a guy with a prosthetic body (he was trying to protect the woman that the guy was trying to kill, but you know how justice gets twisted in these situations.) Anyways, Kusanagi offers to give Togusa assistance in his statement via an encrypted channel, but Togusa does not even acknowledge her. Later Kusanagi and Chief Arimaki are talking and Kusanagi says (most likely joking) that Togusa was in "autistic mode" at the time.

I actually thought it was kind of funny that Kusanagi would use that terminology. I've never actually heard them use the term before, but I wonder if it might have not have been a joke but actually a term referring to a person communicating by conventional means (without the aid of a cyberbrain uplink.)

Autistic mode is basically like a safe mode for a computer. Basically, the cyberbrain has no connections, network or otherwise, and cyberbrain defences are enhanced. The term actually originally came from the manga, so if you feel like it's derogatory, blame Masamune Shirow. In other words, Motoko was claiming that Togusa had his cybersecurity at the highest level. But in the end, if I remember what I read about the episode, she actually brain-hacks Togusa during the trial and speaks through him.

I like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. I'm not so sure about later episodes in the season that follow an overarching storyline, but I love the stand-alone episodes, like the Cash Eye one from 2nd Gig. Or the first three Laughing Man episodes.

On sabbatical...

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 5:47 am

Love Ghost in the Shell :)

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 12:53 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Roxas_XIII wrote:

Autistic mode is basically like a safe mode for a computer. Basically, the cyberbrain has no connections, network or otherwise, and cyberbrain defences are enhanced. The term actually originally came from the manga, so if you feel like it's derogatory, blame Masamune Shirow. In other words, Motoko was claiming that Togusa had his cybersecurity at the highest level. But in the end, if I remember what I read about the episode, she actually brain-hacks Togusa during the trial and speaks through him.

I like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. I'm not so sure about later episodes in the season that follow an overarching storyline, but I love the stand-alone episodes, like the Cash Eye one from 2nd Gig. Or the first three Laughing Man episodes.

I actually wasn't offended by it, I was just amused that they would use that particular term to describe it. I thought it was funny and interesting.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 6:53 pm

Roxas_XIII wrote:

I actually wasn't offended by it, I was just amused that they would use that particular term to describe it. I thought it was funny and interesting.

They mention it a number of times throughout the original manga. (Goes and finds personal copy)

They first mention it in the second chapter (the first full-length one, called Super Spartan, don't ask me why) of the Ghost in the Shell manga, which was partly and loosely used as the basis of episode 11 of the first season of Stand Alone Complex, PORTRAITZ. Section 9, or at least the team that will become Section 9 are investigating a war orphan education facility (read: Dickensian workhouse of the 21st century) that turns out to be very dodgy. One of the guards uses a cyberbrain washer on Ishikawa and Saito, although Saito manages to warn Motoko in time for her to order all Fuchikomas (the manga's equivalent of the Tachikomas) into autistic mode. She then proceeds to kick serious derriere.

It's actually interesting what chapters they used for the plots of the movies and the TV series. The first movie was basically the plots of the chapters Junk Jungle, Bye Bye Clay, and Ghost Coast (yes, these are the chapter titles of the original Ghost in the Shell manga). The second movie is basically an extension of the Robot Rondo chapter, with elements of the Phantom Fund chapter. The Tachikoma episodes in the first season of Stand Alone Complex seem to have elements from the mini-chapter Megatech Machine 1: Revolt of the Robots, as well as taking elements from Phantom Fund (like Batou giving his Tachikoma/Fuchikoma natural oil instead of synthetic oil, and a mysterious experience when one think-tank links up with another).

I'll shut up now.

On sabbatical...

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 7:33 pm

I love the tachikomas

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2010, 8:29 pm

I've seen GITS:SAC, and GITS:2ndGIG, and GITS:SSS movie. Also seen the original GITS film and it's sequel.

Wiki on GITS:SAC.
Wiki on GITS original manga. Well worth the read.

I've read that maybe the "autistic mode" simply means that direct communication (including speech and language) is being filtered out or ignored on the cyberbrain level.

I also remember mention of "Cyberbrain Autism", also called "Cyber-locked-in-syndrome", appearing later in the series.

I found the series mindblowing, exciting, and groundbreaking.

Also, the series setting is not true cyberpunk but postcyberpunk, as it lacks the serious grittyness of cyberpunk. The second series (second gig) is closer to cyberpunk, through the national economic and refugee situation used in the plot setting, themes of fragmentation of state and society, and consequences of war.

Who is your favourite character? Obviously mine is Batou, but I also like Kusanagi (the "major") and Ishikawa.

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2010, 8:35 pm

[quote="Quatermass]Autistic mode is basically like a safe mode for a computer. Basically, the cyberbrain has no connections, network or otherwise, and cyberbrain defences are enhanced. The term actually originally came from the manga, so if you feel like it's derogatory, blame Masamune Shirow. In other words, Motoko was claiming that Togusa had his cybersecurity at the highest level. But in the end, if I remember what I read about the episode, she actually brain-hacks Togusa during the trial and speaks through him.[/quote]

Motoko is a "wizard" level hacker, after all.

I think in GITS:SSS she learns to control 2 cyberbodies simultaineously...