Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 4:12 pm

With the many people with cartoons as a special interest here I thought I'd ask have you ever gotten told watch something for adults? My mom mention this while I was watching Fairly Oddparents I said it was a New episode I hadn't seen. :-)

jeffhermy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Apr 2010, 4:19 pm

I used to watch all the kids shows with my nephew when he was 2-3 and eventually my sister said, "you can watch something that is in your age group, you don't need to watch Bob the Builder cause he wants to." So I started to watch Thomas the Tank Engine and that made my sister go, "huh?"

Thank goodness I watch wholesome shows now like The Office and Law and Order.

Dark_Red_Beloved
Toucan
Toucan

08 Apr 2010, 4:38 pm

For some reason not often. Although almost all of the things I watch are animated. In general: Cartoons traditionally for children and anime. Specifically: The Simpsons,South Park ...Maybe it's that the animated shows I watch are tuned towards adults, maybe my parents were a bit more tolerant of my weirdness in general, maybe it's a cultural thing etc.

Thoughts?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 4:43 pm

I used to get told to read books at a more appropriate age level, because I started reading adult level books in elementary school. (Part of that was hyperlexia; the comprehension caught up around the sixth grade.) People would give me books they thought I'd like; I read them in half an hour and went back to my Star Trek novels...

Now I'm still told to read books at a more appropriate age level, because I still read kids' books. (Current favorites: "Uglies" series, Scott Westerfield.) You just can't win!

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Bonafan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Apr 2010, 4:57 pm

I had the whole read books at your level, as I read books aimed at adults but also the watch tv aimed at adults. I couldnt win!

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 5:14 pm

I was reading Poe by third grade, only because my mother was afraid it would keep me awake nights and I had to beg for months before she'd let me check it out of the library. I remember going through a lot of childrens' books during the first couple years of school, because I went through all the early childhood illnesses - and had dental surgery, so I spent a lot of time home in bed going through the Freddy the Pig series, all Thornton Burgess' woodland creature books and Joel Chandler Harris' Tales of Uncle Remus (which is written phonetically and a b*tch to read at any level). By third grade I had an obsessive interest in monsters and horror fiction, so I went through Dracula, Frankenstein, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Dr Jekyll, et al, and never looked back.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 5:17 pm

Callista wrote:
I used to get told to read books at a more appropriate age level, because I started reading adult level books in elementary school. (Part of that was hyperlexia; the comprehension caught up around the sixth grade.) People would give me books they thought I'd like; I read them in half an hour and went back to my Star Trek novels...

Now I'm still told to read books at a more appropriate age level, because I still read kids' books. (Current favorites: "Uglies" series, Scott Westerfield.) You just can't win!

I got that off relatives. I started reading sexually explicit novels (in response to "read an adult book") and still got told to read something for adults (lol), I think my relatives judged my books by the covers. I love kids books though, good books are good books regardless of the target audience. :D I like fantasy (were-wolves etc), adventure and the like for most age groups.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 5:50 pm

well, I am an anime nut for one. I still love watching spongebob.

some people mentioned books... In 2nd/3rd grade I had a colledge level reading ability, and I was able to understands/comprehend all that was in the book I read. This is around the time I first read Lord of the rings, in its entirety, in a short period of time. I can also speedread and still understand it. The harry potter books took me about a day each.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Gigi830
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Apr 2010, 6:29 pm

Hey, I say watch whatever is entertaining! I watch spongebob a lot. I also enjoy some Masters of the Universe (the ORIGINAL), Muppets, and Fraggle Rock :) I also LOVE Disney movies. People who can't enjoy a cortoon once in awhile are just boring IMO :)

Oh, and don't get me started on all the ANIME I love :P Not all the ones I watch are meant for kids, but I watch for enjoyment more than worrying about what age it is meant for so some are meant for younger people

Gigi830
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Apr 2010, 6:35 pm

Gigi830 wrote:
Hey, I say watch whatever is entertaining! I watch spongebob a lot. I also used to watch Blues Clues, back before they changed the guy on it. The new guy bugs me. I also enjoy some Masters of the Universe (the ORIGINAL), Muppets, and Fraggle Rock :) I also LOVE Disney movies. People who can't enjoy a cortoon once in awhile are just boring IMO :)

Oh, and don't get me started on all the ANIME I love :P Not all the ones I watch are meant for kids, but I watch for enjoyment more than worrying about what age it is meant for so some are meant for younger people

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 6:44 pm

I have a college degree (and a half of another one) and I am constantly educating myself via research and online classes. If I want to watch some anime (yes, thank you I believe I will watch some Hell Girl tonight!) I sure will do it. I enjoy cartoons and anime- I just watched a couple episodes of Kim Possible with my daughter.

That said- I also watch true crime shows like Cold Case FIles, 48 Hours Mystery, American Justice and A&E shows about psychological interventions like Hoarders and Obsessed. I also like ghost hunting shows- Ghost Adventures and Paranormal State. Tonight I will watch Fringe. which is one of the few fictional type shows I enjoy that are not cartoons or anime.

I also love horror and psychological thriller movies. I am especially fond of Asian horror films.

So it hasn't rotted my brain yet!

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 6:53 pm

I remember a teacher sneering at me for enjoying books written for a younger audience. Adults enjoying YA is getting hip, though.

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 7:01 pm

Yes, I've been told so many times that I watch too many cartoons. But since my life-long dream is to become a cartoonist, I just tell them it's for research. :P

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 7:09 pm

My reading was rather advanced as a kid. Supposedly I didn't know how to read in the second grade, and they placed me in a special class at one point, then put me back in the regular classes. I think it was an error because I was not very verbal at the time. They really thought I wasn't able to read. But soon after that I started reading my mom's science fiction and fantasy books and checking out every horror and fantasy book at the school library.

I dont care what my daughter reads as long as she reads. I mean I wouldnt let her read something really inappropriate! She like mangas and certain popular novels for girls her age. The novels make me gag but I don't push my tastes on her, either. I just want her to read. So I don't get frowning upon what a kid is reading at all. SOme will not read anything except candy wrapper.

Gigi830
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Apr 2010, 7:23 pm

oops, sorry for the weird dbl post... :oops:

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 7:42 pm

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
well, I am an anime nut for one. I still love watching spongebob.

some people mentioned books... In 2nd/3rd grade I had a colledge level reading ability, and I was able to understands/comprehend all that was in the book I read. This is around the time I first read Lord of the rings, in its entirety, in a short period of time. I can also speedread and still understand it. The harry potter books took me about a day each.

YA! a day!! ! I finshed Deathly Hallow in 18hrs.! Noon-6AM SO HYPED from finishing it I stayed awake another hour then went to bed a 7AM LOL! (Say what you will of the series) but I read Twilight in ONE day! (and that's leaving to go out to eat and coming back finished that about 11PM on my 23rd Bday) My 24th was buying/playing FFXIII (Gotta think of something for 25th now LOL!)