Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

What's your opinion on existentialism?
It's a great way of presenting the human condition in the form of a philosophy. 75%  75%  [ 15 ]
It is an infantile way of looking at the world. Don't f___ing bother. 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
Can't say. 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
What are you talking about, you fan of a pervert? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 20

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2010, 11:11 am

I don't consider myself an existentialist. I think that existential philosophy is interesting, but I don't think I hold many positions on issues that are really existentialist. The ideas still have value though.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2010, 4:16 pm

Sand, ruveyn - if you need to bicker, then take it privately. Please keep to the discussion instead of opportunities to barb the other.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2010, 4:31 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
Sand, ruveyn - if you need to bicker, then take it privately. Please keep to the discussion instead of opportunities to barb the other.

M.

I don't bicker with the worthy Sand. He bickers with me.

ruveyn

codarac
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 8:47 am

I would have thought that anyone who was not religious would surely come to the conclusion that the universe does not care about them, and that there is nothing to stop them creating their own value system, which seems to be the idea at the heart of existentialism

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 12:10 pm

codarac wrote:
I would have thought that anyone who was not religious would surely come to the conclusion that the universe does not care about them, and that there is nothing to stop them creating their own value system, which seems to be the idea at the heart of existentialism

The universe does not care because it cannot care. It is not sentient as a totality. However the universe is such that one can live and even flourish in it under the right conditions. I suppose anyone who thinks his quality of life depends on his decisions is a partial existentialist. I don't know too many people who think their sustinence will rain down upon them like manna from heaven.

rueyn

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 2:40 pm

codarac wrote:

Right, well, there is more to the matter than that. Existentialism is a movement in continental philosophy including a set of intellectuals, themes, and ideas. Atheism does not necessitate being an existentialist though, as atheism has preceded existentialism, and because a large number of atheists will work with different themes and ideas as their focus.