Is it ethical to spend money for personal entertainment?

Page 4 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 11:17 am

It's perfectly ethical to spend your own money for personal entertainment. It's only unethical if you're spending taxpayers' money on it.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 11:48 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
It's perfectly ethical to spend your own money for personal entertainment. It's only unethical if you're spending taxpayers' money on it.

Precisely! Why is it that some people have trouble understanding the distinction between One's Own and Other People's?

The mark of a Savage is the incomprehension of private ownership and use.

ruveyn

dddhgg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 1:00 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

But that would imply that anyone hired by the government (including the President) should live without entertainment. (Just joking :D)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 3:40 pm

dddhgg wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

But that would imply that anyone hired by the government (including the President) should live without entertainment. (Just joking :D)

Money earned for services performed belongs to the earner. It is his to spend as he wishes in any legal manner.

ruveyn

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 3:41 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
First, I do give, but I am very picky about who I give to. I know just handing out money isn't really helping anyone.

That has never been the question in this thread. You are not asked to chose between spending money on entertainment and "just handing out money". Your handing out can be as targeted as you like. If your ethics entail a duty to help others when you can do that at comparatively little cost to yourself, and if your resources are limited, then your duty to help also includes a duty to be as efficient as you can.

zer0netgain wrote:
If you can teach a man to take care of himself, you are doing more for him than just giving him the means to get by for another week.

And that teaching, or providing the means by which he can take care for of himself, often needs money. That way of helping would be far more efficient than just handing out money.

How do your ethical principles value spending $X on entertainment versus spending $X on helping a man to take care of himself?

zer0netgain wrote:
Second, I know that by giving myself things I desire, that spending is helping others who are doing something to support themselves and others.

The same is true if someone else spends that money instead of you. If you help people to support themselves, their purchases help support others, so your money will have a greater effect than if those same people starve or barely subsist on handouts.

zer0netgain wrote:
Giving has to be voluntary, not compulsory.

Who has talked of compulsion? What compulsion is there in anything here except for whatever you feel your ethical principles compel you to do? We are not talking about taxing you and redistributing the money. The question is what you think the ethical choice is.

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 4:03 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Precisely! Why is it that some people have trouble understanding the distinction between One's Own and Other People's?

The original question already presupposes that you own the resources you spend. Taxes don't come into it. What do your ethical principles have to say about a situation where you can offer a very large benefit to someone else at comparatively little cost to you?

Here is another thought experiment. You see someone being stabbed. You rush over to help, but the victim dies. When the police arrive, they find you with blood on your hands and your fingerprints on the knife. You're an aspie, someone strange, and they are only too glad to keep the case simple and don't look for any other suspect. I have witnessed the scene, but no one has noticed me. Do I have a duty to help you by coming forward as a witness? The interview will cost me some time that I could spend on entertaining myself. Or I may lose some earnings if I have to come in during my working hours. If I don't pay that cost you face a long prison term or even the death penalty. What is the ethical choice for me? Would you say I have every right to walk away?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 6:03 pm

Gromit wrote:
Would you say I have every right to walk away?

Actually, I would. I might say it wasn't ethical to do so, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that you're obligated to come forward. I'm also not under the illusion that there are not costs involved with freedoms and liberties, so I have a fairly pragmatic view of such things.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 6:42 pm

dddhgg wrote:
Being a fan of Kantian ethics, I'd like to apply Kant's categorical imperative in its best-known (and, to my mind, most useful) formulation: "Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law."

While Kant defended charity on rational ethical grounds, he would probably have disagreed with the proposition that it is one's duty to give all one's free income to charity and none of it to entertainment. For if this were to become a universal law, the entertainment industry would be extinguished, thereby depriving oneself (and the rest of the world) of a major source of enjoyment - it being a source of enjoyment also to those who need and receive charity in the first place.

In my view, the key to this problem is moderation. Don't spend all your money on DVDs or stuff like that, donate some of your money (like 5 or 10 or even 15%) to charity, and live happily. In Kantian ethics it is a cardinal duty to view every human being as an end-in-itself, but this logically also applies to oneself. And giving everything you own to charity would be to view oneself too much like a means-to-an-end.

Well, I am not sure that destroying the entertainment industry would make for a strong enough case that this is wrong. I mean, the people who need charity most really are people who are off the economic grid anyway, and thus don't really benefit a lot from the entertainment industry. Even if we promoted moderation, it still would seem as if it would be strained rather heavily towards giving away given that the benefits of not dying usually exceed that provided by most entertainment, as happiness levels have not risen anywhere close to the same rate as income, but presumably each person benefits from a year of living.

That being said, I am cynical towards Kantian ethics. In response to the criticism of giving everything you own to charity, I would put forward a few ideas:
1) Having more moral desires is more moral, that is to say that a human being's end should be to treat themselves as a means to an end for morality. Otherwise, we have to say that supererogatory acts exist, and I tend to be skeptical of that.
2) All of Gromit's points seem rather valid in terms of how I would intuitively think about things.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 6:16 am

dddhgg wrote:
Being a fan of Kantian ethics, I'd like to apply Kant's categorical imperative in its best-known (and, to my mind, most useful) formulation: "Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law."

Kant's philosophy is mostly bogus. You are better off following Hume than Kant.

ruveyn

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 7:40 am

Gromit wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
If you can teach a man to take care of himself, you are doing more for him than just giving him the means to get by for another week.

And that teaching, or providing the means by which he can take care for of himself, often needs money. That way of helping would be far more efficient than just handing out money.

How do your ethical principles value spending $X on entertainment versus spending $X on helping a man to take care of himself?

Ethically, I see no difference, but then again, I'm not wealthy enough to say I'm pouring money down the drain that could help others. To buy myself a new pickup truck is one thing. To buy myself a luxury yacht because I'm filthy rich would be a different matter. The latter reflects a level of resource I simply don't have, and I've always held that if I came into an insane amount of money, most of it would be funneled into trusts for worthy needs. I simply don't need that much money to be "happy."

I do not see it as evil to want to spend what you worked hard to earn on yourself.

Gromit wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
Giving has to be voluntary, not compulsory.

Who has talked of compulsion? What compulsion is there in anything here except for whatever you feel your ethical principles compel you to do? We are not talking about taxing you and redistributing the money. The question is what you think the ethical choice is.

Well, I see compulsion because the idea of feeling guilty or hypocritical for spending money on yourself and not others is a form of coercion.

In Christian principle, charity is a big deal, but the Bible is clear that God wants man to give out of a cheerful heart...not because it's some cold demand from above. Even when the Holy Spirit struck a husband and wife dead in the book of Acts, the truth is that they were stuck down for LYING about their giving, and not because they chose to keep half of what they got when they sold property for the new church. The money was theirs to do with as they saw fit, but they wanted the acclaim for giving ALL of it when they really had kept half of it for themselves.

There is a lot of "guilt" flung about to pressure people into giving to charities, and that is a form of coercion in my view.

dddhgg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 11:06 am

ruveyn wrote:
dddhgg wrote:

ruveyn

I'm very sorry, but I can't escape the impression that you're mostly bogus yourself, sir. Simply pontificating that philosopher X is better than philosopher Y is nowhere near the true spirit of philosophy, and almost always seems to be the hallmark of an inferior mind. I can see merit in the work of all great philosophers, including Hume and Kant, even though I agree more with some than I do with others. To dismiss Kant's noble edifice of thought as mere bogus is not only an insult to the intellects of all sincere students of Kant, it's also petty and immature.

dddhgg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 11:33 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
dddhgg wrote:

While Kant defended charity on rational ethical grounds, he would probably have disagreed with the proposition that it is one's duty to give all one's free income to charity and none of it to entertainment. For if this were to become a universal law, the entertainment industry would be extinguished, thereby depriving oneself (and the rest of the world) of a major source of enjoyment - it being a source of enjoyment also to those who need and receive charity in the first place.

In my view, the key to this problem is moderation. Don't spend all your money on DVDs or stuff like that, donate some of your money (like 5 or 10 or even 15%) to charity, and live happily. In Kantian ethics it is a cardinal duty to view every human being as an end-in-itself, but this logically also applies to oneself. And giving everything you own to charity would be to view oneself too much like a means-to-an-end.

Well, I am not sure that destroying the entertainment industry would make for a strong enough case that this is wrong. I mean, the people who need charity most really are people who are off the economic grid anyway, and thus don't really benefit a lot from the entertainment industry. Even if we promoted moderation, it still would seem as if it would be strained rather heavily towards giving away given that the benefits of not dying usually exceed that provided by most entertainment, as happiness levels have not risen anywhere close to the same rate as income, but presumably each person benefits from a year of living.

That being said, I am cynical towards Kantian ethics. In response to the criticism of giving everything you own to charity, I would put forward a few ideas:
1) Having more moral desires is more moral, that is to say that a human being's end should be to treat themselves as a means to an end for morality. Otherwise, we have to say that supererogatory acts exist, and I tend to be skeptical of that.
2) All of Gromit's points seem rather valid in terms of how I would intuitively think about things.

I definitely agree that not-dying is normally more of a benefit than merely being entertained. But I don't think things are quite as black-and-white as you're suggesting. As a minor point: not all the money donated to charity is able to directly prevent someone from dying; that would be a far too idealistic point of view. More important though is the question of quality-of-life. Is it really preferable to stay alive just barely at the subsistence level without the joys of music and other arts to lighten the sometimes unbearable dullness of existence. Most immigrants from really poor countries I know really love music and dancing themselves, and I do not doubt that some of the more artistically-minded of them would rather be dead than to have no money at all to spend on the beautiful things in life.

1) Why shouldn't there be supererogatory acts? Giving a present to my neighbor on her birthday (even though I don't know her well) is a morally positive act (in that it gives her joy), but it could hardly be considered a moral duty.

2) While I wouldn't say that moral intuitions don't count for anything (they are indeed rather important in cases where decisions have to be made rapidly), I'm rather skeptical whether they're really useful guiding instruments in complicated matters such as this one.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 9:53 am

Gromit wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
It is ethical to spend one's own money as one sees fit to spend it.

Jacoby wrote:
It's my money, I can do what I want with it.

That is the intuitively obvious answer. Here's a thought experiment for you two. You are walking along a river. You see a drowning child, just going under the surface. If you jump in right now you can save the kid. You will ruin your new suit and destroy your new iPod, because you don't have time to take off either. Saving the kid will cost you $500. You are on holiday in a poor country, the parents will not be able to pay you back. What will you do?

Worthy of life topic

I would jump in, after I called for assistance, and surveyed the area for dangers to me.

I have assisted before, using these guidelines. Maybe I am selfish but I feel good about helping.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 10:41 am

sartresue wrote:

I have assisted before, using these guidelines. Maybe I am selfish but I feel good about helping.

A rationally selfish motive. Go for it!

ruveyn

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 1:14 pm

dddhgg wrote:
I definitely agree that not-dying is normally more of a benefit than merely being entertained. But I don't think things are quite as black-and-white as you're suggesting. As a minor point: not all the money donated to charity is able to directly prevent someone from dying; that would be a far too idealistic point of view.

Not all money has to be able to directly prevent somebody from dying, but when you give money to a charity, it is distributed to the various needs of the organization, which can include things such as aid, but also things that are needed to maintain the organization. Frankly, when thinking about giving, the effective good the resources will do is likely very important, and the effective good of a lot of the resources shifted will actually be dramatic improvement in the quality of life of other people.

Quote:
More important though is the question of quality-of-life. Is it really preferable to stay alive just barely at the subsistence level without the joys of music and other arts to lighten the sometimes unbearable dullness of existence. Most immigrants from really poor countries I know really love music and dancing themselves, and I do not doubt that some of the more artistically-minded of them would rather be dead than to have no money at all to spend on the beautiful things in life.

Most things aren't that expensive. Music is cheap and mass produced. Just having an internet connection provides access to all of the entertainment needed. A television is cheap. Books are cheap as well, especially ordered off of Amazon.

Quote:
1) Why shouldn't there be supererogatory acts? Giving a present to my neighbor on her birthday (even though I don't know her well) is a morally positive act (in that it gives her joy), but it could hardly be considered a moral duty.

Well, for one, from what I hear, Kant himself rejected the idea regarding moral value only found in duty.

Even further though, a definition for "good" could be "that which ought to be done", or "the right thing". If there is no reason why one ought to do something/it isn't really more correct to do it, then how can it really be good? No motivational force, and a choice as valid as other choices. If there is reason to do something, then one ought to do it, and thus it should be done.

If we reject supererogation, we must also accept that there are greater goods than moral good, and that it is morally permissible to sacrifice what is good for that which is not morally good. This seems questionable to me given that if goodness relates to any duty, then good cannot be traded off, and if good can be traded off for non-morally good things, then what is the line between supererogation and normal morality? If such a line can't effectively be drawn, then we have problems of making all good things supererogatory and thus destroying goodness.

Quote:
2) While I wouldn't say that moral intuitions don't count for anything (they are indeed rather important in cases where decisions have to be made rapidly), I'm rather skeptical whether they're really useful guiding instruments in complicated matters such as this one.

Umm..... so you want to work on a problem outside of the set of intuitions you have about it? I tend to be more of an intuitionist in the sense that I regard all of our philosophical beliefs to be the result of one intuition or another, and that philosophy is a trade-off of intuitions. As such, I can't make sense of your point. What are you suggesting? Reason itself can't get us far enough because reason cannot create its own premises out of thin air.

Last edited by Awesomelyglorious on 28 Apr 2010, 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 1:15 pm

dddhgg wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
dddhgg wrote:

ruveyn

I'm very sorry, but I can't escape the impression that you're mostly bogus yourself, sir. Simply pontificating that philosopher X is better than philosopher Y is nowhere near the true spirit of philosophy, and almost always seems to be the hallmark of an inferior mind. I can see merit in the work of all great philosophers, including Hume and Kant, even though I agree more with some than I do with others. To dismiss Kant's noble edifice of thought as mere bogus is not only an insult to the intellects of all sincere students of Kant, it's also petty and immature.

No, Hume was mathematically proven to be better than Kant 4 years ago. The proof was clever, innovative, highly distrusted, but now the profession is coming to accept what happened.