For those with auditory processing issues

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Cactus_Man
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Apr 2010, 3:32 am

Anyone got a fix for the "not being able to tell that you're yelling at an inappropriate time" sort of problem?

Mikelight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Apr 2010, 3:46 am

I have similar auditory issues, all the sounds are coming in and it's hard for me to hear a single person talking. usually I'll cover my ears. Since I hear everything well loud music really really irritates me and my brother loves to play loud music all the time. It's so annoying.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Apr 2010, 8:14 am

crocus wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:
Yes, the foam ones are very comfortable. The brand that I use is called "Quiet Please." Since I sleep in them, that is definitely a good feature about them.

Thanks for that info, hartzofspace :)

I would try them out for daytime use. I can't sleep with my ears plugged.

You're welcome! I used to not be able to sleep with my ears plugged, but I got used to it. At first it felt like I had a bad head cold, and made me have weird dreams. :)

(edited for spelling)

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 8:22 am

Cactus_Man wrote:
Anyone got a fix for the "not being able to tell that you're yelling at an inappropriate time" sort of problem?

I got that...I nearly erupt from frustration when I have gone to the trouble of saying something coherently and making a point and instead of listening and responding all I get is 'You're shouting'.

I don't know a fix, sadly...

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 8:25 am

I keep earplugs on me for when I'm sensitive to louder sounds out in public, really helps. I tried using music while shopping, but that only made me more prone to walk into people in stores and such. Major distraction for me. I have to sit down while listening to music. :D

Kurisutiin_Suwein
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Apr 2010, 11:34 am

I have foam earplugs with me whenever I'm out and specifically make sure that any employer knows that I will be using them (one employer tried to stop me from using them until it was pointed out to that employer that my earplug use had already been agreed and improved my performance in certain circumstances). If I'm at home, I shut the door if there are loud noises in the day. Having a good-quality thick sleeping bag muffles noise pretty well at night.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 8:52 am

I'll try the cotton. I keep earplugs around all the time. I have some foam ones, but they can become uncomfortable. The silicone ones are good for sleeping except my hair gets stuck in them, like chewing gum.....ew. I usually just run an airfiter and that masks things at night.

Cuterebra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2010, 12:03 am

Yeah, ear plugs really help me understand people better--I wish they were less noticeable.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Apr 2010, 8:32 pm

Cuterebra wrote:
Yeah, ear plugs really help me understand people better--I wish they were less noticeable.

Me, too! I once had to wear them while at a social function. A lady there, asked if I had swimmers ear!

Mindtear
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2010, 6:31 am

I couldnt stand have something in my ears to help. I always need people to repeat themselves if they are talking in ventrilo while playing games.
However, i do sleep with army ear protectors on my head in bed :P.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 11:57 am

aloneinacrowd wrote:
I sleep with earplugs.

I can't sleep with earplugs in because I like to hear the sound of the clock ticking. I do like sound - just not loud sudden sounds when I'm out in public, because covering my ears will be ''violating the rules''. In other words, covering my ears or wearing earplugs will cause people to look - and I'm always trying to avoid people looking at me.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Aug 2010, 12:28 pm

Joe90 wrote:
aloneinacrowd wrote:
I sleep with earplugs.

I can't sleep with earplugs in because I like to hear the sound of the clock ticking. I do like sound - just not loud sudden sounds when I'm out in public, because covering my ears will be ''violating the rules''. In other words, covering my ears or wearing earplugs will cause people to look - and I'm always trying to avoid people looking at me.

I am the same way. Once though, I was standing at a crosswalk waiting for the light to change. Some guy pulled up to the intersection with his car stereo thumping away. My hands flew up to my ears, and he actually turned the volume down! Looking back, I think that my reaction might have made him think that his music was louder than he realized, and not that this is my habitual response to noise. It was kind of nice, though.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

08 Aug 2010, 2:23 pm

I have a 45bd hearing loss which translates to that I am legally deaf, but I can hear some and I also have an auditory proceesing dysfuction going on too....so what that amounts to is I cant hear what people say half the time although I do hear their voice which sounds like the teacher on charlie brown..."whap whop wa woop wa". But I hear bustling noises, crowd noises, car noises, etc etc which all blends together into one confusing mass of sound. I do have hearing aids that help filter the sounds...high tech and expensive. But there are hearing aids for auditory processing disfuction, and they do help...you can get them adjusted by computer to seperate the sounds coming in but not increase the volume...you can even have them decrease volume.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 4:13 pm

Sometimes I wear ear protectors to help reduce unwanted background sounds which helps a little with paying attention.

Am ADHD Inattentive with central auditory processing disorder (CAPD) and normally cannot process something like Morse code (dots and dashes). Was very surprised that the old medicine, coffee - caffeine compounds (100 mg - caffeine)(Tirend, NoDoz, Awake, Stay Awake, Vivarin), can temporarily improve (not a cure) small aspects of CAPD so I can hear and understand a few more sounds a little.

http://www.rsna.org/rsna/media/pr2005/Coffee.cfm (Short-term memory)(not a cure)
http://coffeescience.org/alert (Mental alertness)(not a cure)