Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

TheBatDan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Apr 2010, 10:45 pm

Hi, I'm a 21 year old Aspie who has had a gradually receding hairline since high school. I am deathly afraid of going bald and worry about it constantly. My parents say I am going nuts over this and that I won't go bald. I see my younger brother's hairline slowly receding too. What should I do?

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 10:48 pm

Worrying about receding hairline

umm...
That's what causes it 8O

TheBatDan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Apr 2010, 10:57 pm

will exercise help? I rarely work out right now.

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 11:04 pm

Some people say it's genetic,
some say it's from wearing a hat too often,
I say it's nothing to go pulling your hair out over.
As for the Cure, there are a million brands of snake oil out there.
The only one I have ever heard of providing effective results is $urgerical Implant$. :?

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 11:26 pm

If your parents and grandparents aren't bald, don't worry about it.
I had the same ILLUSION when I was 20 and now I'm 40 and it looks no worse.

Similar illusions are if your legs are skinny they might look fat,
and once I thought I was ugly like Frankenstein because my cat
scratched me. I can't even see a scar anymore but my father
said that, and made a big deal out of it and I believed it.

If your parents and grandparents aren't bald, don't worry about it.
Otherwise there's Rogaine and other things mentioned and wigs.
Everyone has something that they don't like about themselves
that other people notice less than themselves.

BTW... BALD IS IN STYLE NOW I THINK (And probably will be again.)

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 11:29 pm

Don't worry about it. If it gets to the point where it's noticeable or you really don't like how it looks anymore, just shave it all off and embrace the baldness. Bald can be really attractive.

Nostromos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Apr 2010, 3:45 am

Start using Rogaine daily.

Take Biotin supplements daily. Take a good-quality multivitamin daily, I take Source Naturals.

Don't smoke, it constricts the blood vessels in your scalp. Exercise regularly - it helps blood get to the scalp and nourishes it or something. Whatever, exercise is good for you anyway.

Avoid Propecia like they're mercury pills. Read the forums on this site:

www.propeciasideeffects.com

It'll probably give you more hair, but it's also likely to screw up your hormone balance, making you anxious and dumb and impotent and pseudohermaphroditic, maybe permanently. I'm not joking, stay away from it.

Nizoral shampoo helps too, I think. It's expensive but I've read that it eases the inflammation of a thinning scalp.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2010, 9:03 am

It's genetic . . . you look at my father and then at the baby photos of my brothers and I and you will see the receding hairline in play. Aside from hair grafts, there isnt a whole lot you can do about it (hell, im going through the same thing since it looks like im going to end up with a tuft for a while until the rest of the recession takes hold). You could look up some hair styles (including facial) to help compensate (yes, there are likely some other narcissists out there who have found something to work with, and no i dont mean that as an insult). What Ive seen some do is keep their hair cut low (say a 1 or 2 on the electric razor attachments) and some will grow a bit of facial hair to balance it out.

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2010, 2:05 pm

I started losing my hair at seventeen. It doesn't really bother me that much.

strapshoechris
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Apr 2010, 12:06 am

I consider myself blessed with a full head of hair at age 47. I've grown mine shoulder length as a teen and will keep it that way for the rest of my life regardless of what whatever male "fashion" tries to dictate. Having both grandfathers going bald young made me worry years ago to the pointe where I made out an advance directive "living will" stating "NO chemotherapy".
With that in mind I'm sure everyone by now knows I "feel" for any dude who might be experiencing an unwanted loss. In which case I would...
1. Second the advice above of "Rogaine" or Minoxidil. It's much cheaper nowdays and no prescription needed in the U.S. Also I would recommend the "no smoking" statement.
2. If #1 fails, go to "Hair club" or "Bosley" to work on restoration. My wrestling coach went through such a procedure back in the 1990's and believes it's the best money he's spent on himself and his self esteem. Two decades later, he still has a full head of hair.
3. Avoid "toupees" or hair pieces at all costs. They're way too noticeable as well as a source of humiliation if knocked or pulled off (remember Howard Cosell VS. Ali?)
Sam Donaldson has seen his yanked off a number of times during his years at ABC also.