Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

JoeR43
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Apr 2010, 8:39 pm

You guys may remember me from the issues of last month that led to my dismissal from my previous job.

I went on to do exactly what I felt like I had to do, which is keep plugging away at finding a new job.
Also, I'm in the beginning stages of running a tutoring service on the side, primarily in mathematics. I currently have three students that help take my time.

Having to find my way for a month turned out to be excellent. Not just because I have found a job I will likely be happier in as a Data Analyst, but also the life lessons I took away. I think a lot can be relevant for the readers and posters in this forum:

1) DON'T USE YOUR ASPERGER'S AS A CRUTCH. I see it a ton in here, and it drives me nuts. Sure, we struggle with leaving a comfort zone, but guess what? So does everyone. It's not fun to call, email, mail, etc. recruiting directors. Phone interviews are not fun. Answering unpleasant questions regarding your past is not fun. But it's what I just did, and it's why I spent a month unemployed rather than 6+, and got a job I actually wanted.

2) Work on your interviews. You know what to expect from an interview, so have answers prepared. They'll ask why you want the job, to expand on your past (and how it relates to this position), and all that good stuff.

But one thing people fail to notice is that they KNOW your credentials. It's right there on paper via resume. You're not selling skills anymore, you're selling you. Smile a lot, shake everyone's hand, introduce yourself, make them want a person like you in their company. If you think they'll hire you simply by droning on about your skills in excel, you're wrong.

3) Don't be desperate for work. There's unemployment insurance. There's side jobs and pro-bono work. There's no need to sit on craigslist all day and fire off resumes to employers. If you think some sales job is going to hire you when your background is far outside the realm of business development, you're wrong and wasting your time (not to mention I doubt many of us would be particularly good at sales). After college I just fired off resumes at random and took 11 months to land somewhere w/ stability. After losing that job, I kept my focus narrow and found something in a month.

4) Get something on the side. Not only did tutoring help keep me busy and from going insane, but you better believe that when the inevitable question of "so what are you doing right now?" came up, that saying I was tutoring made me look 583x better than saying I was sitting on my ass and browsing monster.com all day. And as I said before, I now have the chance to begin a legitimate side business, which would be an invaluable experience.

Essentially, get out there and get proactive i your job hunt. Even if you have to fake it a bit, you can be you once you get home. Not to mention you'll be better off and happier for it.

blastoff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Apr 2010, 10:42 pm

Hey, congratulations, Joe!

Great pointers. Great attitude. Go get 'em!

JoeR43
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Apr 2010, 5:59 pm

Thanks blastoff.

Honestly, being told to be polite to everyone really made a huge difference, in my opinion.
My sister works as an admin counselor and very closely w/ her boss. My mother is also a special ed program director, so both of them are actively involved in interviewing.

They both told me that you pretty much have to be on your game no matter what.

I look back on old interviews and notice that I was almost never overly polite to the receptionist. While I might say "thank you" and things, I would never actually introduce myself. As my mom says, it really doesn't matter if you are interviewing for the executive board, if you're impolite to an employee, you look bad. After all, as of that moment, that receptionist is way more important than you to the company, both from a productivity and personal standpoint.

I'm actually at work right now (I'm a late worker heh), and remember in my interview 1 1/2 weeks ago that I almost forgot this step, and immediately apologized and introduced myself to the office manager / receptionist. No doubt in my mind that helped my profile to the company.

Also saw some girl interviewing for another position we're hiring do the quiet, over-serious thing, and later on actually asked me if I knew where her "interviewer" went.

Evidently, my boss, who just a week before, eagerly met me, had not even introduced himself to this girl. I kind of chuckled since it's pretty obvious she won't be hired here (yeah, probably shouldn't laugh at that, but it's not like there's not other jobs in the Boston area).

The job will be tough as I've been thrust into Unix to go along w/ the actual position of Data Analysis, but the company seems good and I think I will like it here. Now I just have to figure out what unix command to use so I can go home.

Athenacapella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2010, 6:11 pm

Great tips! and congrats on the new job.

I would also add to read books about how to answer interview questions at the library or book store. I read once that if you're seated waiting, and someone comes into the room, to stand up to shake their hand. I would have never known that. Now I stand up at my desk whenever I am introduced to someone new. It's supposed to be a sign of respect.

Kurisutiin_Suwein
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Apr 2010, 1:34 pm

Good luck on the new job, JoeR43! You've worked hard to get the post and I hope you have a great time there :)