Page 5 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 3:34 pm

bluecountry wrote:
Two aspies meet in a bar; what happens?

They make eye contact and run for their lives.

bluecountry
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2012, 11:22 pm

:lol:

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 12:05 am

bluecountry wrote:
:lol:

:D

Monkeybuttorama
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jun 2012, 12:36 am

My closest platonic friend and I discovered we very likely had AS at about the same time (he suggested it to me, in fact)

The last time he and I were in public, which was the first time I'd seen him in almost a year face-to-face, everyone assumed we were a long-term couple. We understand each other with no clarification whatsoever (and always have) while others look on and go "what the f...." we tangent constantly, because nothing more really needs to be said about a given topic, we both have unusual but "advanced" verbal abilities/styles, and neither of us bothers with "normal" social requirements when talking to the other. Our topics tend to be quite deep or significant, and because we have very similar interests, we both get pretty excited to share/learn new information. This friendship is actually why I opted to join WP; I'd like more friends like that!

I personally believe the quote "Great minds think alike." came from this sort of instinctive interaction between aspies throughout history. ^_^

Of course, my mom and I didn't get on well, and I'm pretty sure she had AS, as well, although we understood each other well enough once she started treating me like an adult. I'd assume it could go either way..

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2012, 1:12 am

auntblabby wrote:
hello, Neon304 :)
all i can say to you is that you may have conversed with aspies without noting anything out of the ordinary because they seemed not different from yourself.

One of my colleagues pointed out that a student I was working with had AS... I had not realized it before. After she pointed it out, I had a much easier time explaining things to her because I just told her things the way I would want to be told them instead of trying to relate them to someone less focused on the details. She was higher on the spectrum that I am, but I felt like I could relate to her better than most people. Most people zone out when you go into particulars and prefer that you explain things in stories. She was the opposite, and once I realized that she was like me, our time was much better spent.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 10:05 am

When two aspies meet its like matter meeting anti-matter- they immeadiatley anihilate each other in a nuclear explosion!

Just kidding.

Never heard of aspergers until late in life.

Wasnt officially dx'd until later still ( only couple years ago).

So when I found out about a local metro support group of adult aspies/auties I was curious to see what it was like to meet fellow aspies. Would I recognize them as such or what?

But in fact there have been probable aspies that I have met before.
Two people in my current main job were probable aspies- one I found out was in fact an aspie. Oddly- one of the two was one of the best at the job, the other (the one who I found out through the grapevine was an official aspie) was one of the worst. I got along fine with both.

At the meetings of the support group Ive started to go to - we meet in a classy restaurant - a couple dozen or so varying people with varying degrees of autism. its no big deal talking to them. Many are very Sheldon-like- obvious oddballs- and odd in stereotypically aspie ways. Others not so much. Or they are idiosyncratic in ways I didnt expect.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 11:11 am

lotuspuppy wrote:
I interact with three aspies on a regular basis. We have superficial differences, but we think in the same manner. We have rewarding conversations with each other.

I work with three other Aspies and am married to one as well. I feel like I belong at home AND work for the first time in 35 years. I will be very sad when my job ends with the season in November. :(

I second the rewarding conversations; we get to talk about ideas and information with each other, something NTs find too boring I guess. Only very smart NTs tolerate in-depth discussions of subjects versus people, it seems.

We have a new girl at work who only talks about other people in a complaining, superiority-complex way and it's exhausting for me and my fellow Aspies. I can't open up to her to save my life because I feel I'm being judged constantly. :roll:

Also, talking to you all here on WrongPlanet has saved my life, literally. (of course!) :)