Positive autism stereotypes among teenagers!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 10:54 am

torako wrote:
i've noticed that as well. no one at my school knows i have AS because there are a lot of smart kids here, many of whom have some aspie traits (it's a college town and a lot of professor's kids go here) but there are a couple of autistic kids in my gym class who are very obvious about it. some other girls were talking to one of them and suddenly (after most of a semester, sigh) noticed that he had a lot of sports statistics and such memorized. so they called him a genius and compared him to rainman. it honestly kind of bugged me. i talked to his brother and he didn't see why i was irritated, but i just don't like stereotypes at all. everyone is different, i don't see why people who are even more different from the "norm" would be the same as each other. that's just stupid.

That is true, but remember that people - especially teenagers - stereotype everyone and themselves too. They give themselves and their friends all sorts of stupid labels, for example "emo". So it's no insult, they're just treating him as they do their friends in a way.

torako
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Apr 2010, 1:18 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
torako wrote:
i've noticed that as well. no one at my school knows i have AS because there are a lot of smart kids here, many of whom have some aspie traits (it's a college town and a lot of professor's kids go here) but there are a couple of autistic kids in my gym class who are very obvious about it. some other girls were talking to one of them and suddenly (after most of a semester, sigh) noticed that he had a lot of sports statistics and such memorized. so they called him a genius and compared him to rainman. it honestly kind of bugged me. i talked to his brother and he didn't see why i was irritated, but i just don't like stereotypes at all. everyone is different, i don't see why people who are even more different from the "norm" would be the same as each other. that's just stupid.

That is true, but remember that people - especially teenagers - stereotype everyone and themselves too. They give themselves and their friends all sorts of stupid labels, for example "emo". So it's no insult, they're just treating him as they do their friends in a way.

except that they still weren't really talking to him

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 10:25 am

torako wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
torako wrote:

except that they still weren't really talking to him

I wouldn't expect them to. But I'm just saying that the stereotype itself isn't all that bad (in the view of the teenagers).